Sign in to follow this  
Ray

The new guy

Greetings all. Names Ray. Live in the south Chicago area. New to this vinyl thing. Bought a used 24" Vinyl Express cutter w/ Lxi 8.5 Vinyl Express software. Some backround, I'm a motorcycle mechanic and racer. I'm also V.P. of a motorcycle club/race team, So this vinyl computer thing is new to me. We purchased this setup due to the rising cost of vinyl in the area ( what was 7.00 a piece last year has gone to 12.00 this year). Ive been having trouble getting our logo to vector from jpeg. I did contact a member of this forum and had him do the work for me (lazy I guess) but still cant cut. It keeps giving "File format not supported". Now for the new guy question, Am I missing something? I did download Inkscape after reading that I needed that type of software still lost. :thumbsup:??

Welcome Ray to the forum. I wish I could help you out but I dont know anything about your plotter or the software...sorry!

Inkscape is a good program to vectorize, but you said you paid someone to do it for you, so you dont need it for that.

Make sure the graphic your cutting is in eps ( or ai ) format depending on your cutter program.

with sign blazer I use eps files and I dont open them I import them. Not sure if this will help you or not!

Renee

Welcome Ray to the forum. I wish I could help you out but I dont know anything about your plotter or the software...sorry!

Inkscape is a good program to vectorize, but you said you paid someone to do it for you, so you dont need it for that.

Make sure the graphic your cutting is in eps ( or ai ) format depending on your cutter program.

with sign blazer I use eps files and I dont open them I import them. Not sure if this will help you or not!

Renee

Do I need Adobe, Corel or some other graphics software? Im lost. I think I may have gotten in over my head.

Welcome Ray,

I am from the Schaumburg area. Send me the file and I will take a look at it.

dave@piratedaves.com

Dave

If you have inkscape that will get you thru the vectorizing, some people love it! As I said I dont know anything about your cutter or the cutting software but once you have a true vectorized file all you need in cutting it is your cutting software. open your cutting software, locate the vectorized file, import it and there you have it. Corel Draw and adobe illustrator and inkscape are the main programs that you would use to create a vectorized file ( or you could pay someone to do it for you) there are many web sites out here that you can buy graphics that are already vectorized in which case you really dont need illustrator, draw or inkscape.

I use sign blazer as my cutting program so I import the vector files or files and simply cut.

A vectorized file will either be an ai file or eps. maybe you can find a support forum for your brand of cutter and software?

Renee

Ray, what file format is the file. If you post the file here I can try to load it. (When replying click Additional Options) I have LXi here at work.

Guest kenya

Hi Ray......... Welcome to the forum.

Hi Ray  , ( thinking of the Tv ad " you can call me Ray or you can call me Jay .. but you don't have to call me Johnsons "  :thumbsup: )

What kind of MC club & what type of racing ?