Guest Schramm

Road Side Sign - Did this one in about 20 mile per hour wind!

Guest Schramm

Well the rest of this job has been done for well over 2 months and I was finally able to get to this sign.  This thing was a nightmare as I did it yesterday with the winds gusting up to 25 MPH!  Belive it or not I got both sides done and touched up - Final pic here is before touching up.  Everyone loves this thing (very small town of about 500 people) so they are very easily impressed not to mention that it was hand done before (you know what I mean?).  Once again this is NOT vinyl as you can tell I painted it so it would last longer.

post-0-12986537056989_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986537058873_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986537059245_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986537073469_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986537073735_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986537073995_thumb.jpg

That's a great looking sign!  What are you using for paint mask?

Guest kenya

Rob you did a wonderful job !  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice looking sign  :thumbsup:

I don't understand why you did it on-site, much better to install in your shop, transport and mount, right ?

Sure you might have your reasons :thumbsup:

Guest Schramm

Dont normally do signs and my van would not carry these signs as they are 4x8 sheets.  If I were to do it again I would definatly take them down and do them in my garage as it would of been a ton easier!!!

What type of paint did you use for that?

When I'm up that way sometime, I'll be on the lookout for that.

Beauty, man.  Great styling.

Guest Schramm

I used exterior satin house paint.  I will be honest I like vinyl but let me tell you I personally do not use it on signage unless it is metal or corplast. Duraboard is $60 per 4' x 8' sheet 1/2" thick and will last forever outside, paints up great and paints seem to dry quickly on it.  When I am doing these either inside or outside I always paint the surface and allow to dry and then apply the spray mask onto the surface and tape around my sections so that I can roll on the paint.  Before I do any paint, I roll on a clear coat of Guardz and allow it to seal the masking so I do not get bleed under. Then I paint the surface one coat and allow to tack up and apply the 2nd coat and as long as that is all the coats that it needs I allow the surface to tack but not dry and pull the vinyl and allow the paint to cure 48 hours and then I in most cases seal the entire thing with a clear coat for exterior.

As you all know I do not do signs for a living but latley especially since I did this once have been getting offers to do them.  I am doing a Mexican resturaunt here in my home town next week.

I love it! Looks great. I am in South Dakota and it seems like it is always windy here. Does that mean that vinyl won't last as long as it should?

Christi

This is a great job.  Now I really understand what paint mask is.  I wasnt quite getting that before.  You always make things so simple to understand.  Thank you for that.

You paint the same way I do, I always sandwich the paint. Definately makes things last alot longer that way.  I guess spray mask is the next thing I try.

Barbara

Guest Schramm

To me your bond with vinyl and painted wood is only as good as how clean the surface is.  In a perfect senerio you do the sign indoors in a controlled situation and it gets a good bond but the only way to get longevity is by appling a product like Frog Juice (clear coat made to go over vinyl).  IMO that is not good enough as if the lettering is not bonded well applying a clear coat is not going to help as it is like painting without priming on a dusty surface and it may be ok for a short period of time but when it fails it will come off in sheets.  If you are going to cut vinyl anyway you might as well cut spray mask and buy paint and just paint it.  Exterior paint on a sign will last 10 years or better on duraboard where vinyl will not even come close.

Once again IMO if you are doing metal signage or Corplast the only way to go is vinyl - paint will work but you would need oil where on wood latex is great!

Either way you do it keeping a clean surface to me is key to a good solid job.  I am by no means a pro at signage but I really think that just about anybody can make it work with a little patients and a good layout.

Just a note:  When I do this design wise I do the math on the computer but I do not stop there I then cut each piece and lay it out on hardboard with pencil lines in between each section being layed out to assure that everything is going to work properly.  Nothing in the world is worse then having everything cut, then applied and then go to put in the last piece and it doesnt calculate into the finish...  By laying it out prior to application you may decide that another way is better and change the way you do it.  Anyone that says that this is easy or can be done quickly has either never done it or done it for many many years.

Rob

Thanks so much for all your help and advice. I am still a bit new at this and every bit of information is very helpful. I have a company asking about doing their business name up on a wooden sign that they painted on the front of their building. After seeing your work and information I am thinking that maybe painting it would be a better idea.

Christi

I really like it. This is the type of signs that counts for 80% of my business. Looks good. Where do you get the duraboard you used?

New Moon Graphics

how easy/hard is that avery spray mask to cut and put up? like reg vinyl easy?

Guest Schramm

You can get Duraboard from any woodworking place (not HD or Lowes) just tell them waterproof plywood for signs and they will know what you mean.  Spraymask IMO is as easy to cut and apply as any vinyl and painting vs vinyl once again IMO is the way to go as it bonds to wood (that is its job).  I would think that if you want to get serious about signs that this is the way to go as a 4' x 8' sheet cost about $70 and it can be cut to size by the lumber yard making your job easy plus you will be left with plenty if you do normal size 40" x 40" signs!