Sign in to follow this  
latitude42

Truck cap windows

I just finished two truck cap windows. Second try. I did the dry method first, too many bubbles!!! I then ordered some Rapid Tac... that stuff works great!!!!

I was able to line up all the shadowing perfectly, no bubbles, very easy.

post-1312-12986512808565_thumb.jpg

post-1312-12986512816674_thumb.jpg

heeeeYYyyyyy, nice old woodwen tool box, i wondered where it went. looks good,  those windows sure get hot in the summer.  daniel t.

very good job!!! Like I said many times,I always do wet on glass. Why take a chance or having to do it twice? I don't see a time difference from dry to wet.

When I first started I bought a small bottle of rapid tack. Went back to the sign supply place to get a gallon and the guy told me to make my own and gave me a formula. Been making my own ever since.Never looked back,and never an issue. It costs me about $1 a gallon to make. I probably use a gallon every 2 weeks. So,it apparently works.

Ok, what is the formula??? or is it a secret chinese recipe? :) It would sure beat $30/gal. If it includes dish soap, what kind do you use??

Thanks.

1 gal water, 3-4 good squirts dish soap (I use dawn,but any brand would do) and about 1/3 cup rubbing alcohol. The higher percentage alcohol the better. You can get 50%,70% and I've even seen 90%.

At  first I just used the soap but I aksed around,old timers, pros,everyone who would talk to me...all said the alcohol made the difference. One guy even used windshield wiper liquid in place of the alcohol..the blue stuff, $1, 25 a gallon at autozone,and swore by it.I like a clear fluid myself...but when I'm in the mood I'll add some vanilla extract to make it smell good. Just a bit.

I have it on good authority...despite what they tell you,that there is no magical ingredient in rapid tac or any of the others. Its all hype.

Works for me and I use a LOT of it..never a single complaint and my own vehicle graphics are looking great after a year or so. And that's parked outside,in the weather,all year. If I had a garage,I'd be working in it instead of the basement.

Thanks MUCH !!!!!  :)

I have garage and basement... still not enough.

I started out doing marine canvas work (ie covers,bimini, awnings) then some people wanted their names on the canvas, so in comes screen printing, now I needed some lettering on my truck... cheaper to buy a cutter/plotter than have lettering done... so now I do custom canvas, screen printing, and vinyl lettering (comes in handy for boat letters). Basement and garage are all being utilized. And to think I have degree in HVAC engineering that doesn't get used!!!

Aint life grand!!!! :glasses2: