Sign in to follow this  
SunsetWolf31

Question about tape and bubbles

I have been using R-tape Clear Conform AT-42, but when I did signs for my van and peeled off the tape there was tons of bubbles. And I've noticed this happening on just about everything that I do, all the mirrors, magnets etc. Am I taking the tape off wrong, using the wrong tape, should I be doing a wet application? And how do you do a wet app.? I've only done dry.

how do you do that? I've never done that, I've only done dry before. Have no idea what wet application is or how it's done.

YouTube search revealed.....

This is just the first on the search came up with.

How you squeezee can effect the amount of bubbles also . YouTube has MUCH info & there is posts here  :rolleyes:

ok now my question is, with the tape that I am using, R-tape Clear Conform AT-42, when I do a dry app I go over and make sure there are no bubbles. But when I peel off the tape, all these bubbles appear. Is it because there is too much tack on the tape, and what tape should I use, or will doing a wet app eliminate the bubbles when peeling the tape off?...Thanks for all the help.

the clear stuff is not for wet app. it is for doing layers.

I use clear tape on decals given to customers. Why? It lays flat, and it looks good. Plus, when they screw up the application, they'll ask me to do it next time.

I hate applying with clear. I love taping with clear.

OK, I'm watching the video for applying wet and dry and the first step is to pull the backing off the decal. The guy just rips it off, quickly. I have to pry and pry dto get my backings off. Am I cutting with too much pressure, too little? I did a big wall quote yesterday, 5 lines of text and it pulled off easily. Did 2 others on the same room and took at least half an hour for one and the other ( just a signature) was horrible to get off. I'm using oracal 631 with paper app tape that sign warehouse rec. for 631 vinyl. I'm at a loss to figure what I'm doing wrong. Installs shouldn't be so hard>  lol Sandu

what tape should you use if you are doing layers and putting the decals onto things yourself for customers? I like the clear for the ease of seeing the registration marks, but hate trying to take the tape off, it takes alot of strength to pull this tape off, and then when I get it off there is all these bubbles that wasn't there before. Is it hard to layer using the other tapes used for wet app?

In my own personal opinion.....tape doesn't cause bubbles....plain and simple.  You get bubbles when you didn't do proper application.  My tape is very high tack, very hard to pull off and if I do my part right there is no bubbles.  Not trying to sound harsh but the tack on the vinyl is much much higher than the tack on the tape, even the high tack tape.  I think getting that idea out of your head will go a long ways to getting toward a resolution.  It takes alot of practice to do completely bubble free dry app, its something I am still strugglnig with, but I have gotten much much better.  For a real test try this........go grab a scrap of vinyl and tape it up, find a window.....do your application.  now BEFORE removing the tape go to the other side and see if you have any bubbles, then remove and see if it changed.  That would give you a difinitive answer.

For an appliction that must be perfectly bubble free the first time....do it wet.  Use paper tape and spray it down with straight water or water a little alcohol and a drop or 2 of dish soap.  Start with light pressure and slowly build to a very firm pressure to get all the water out.  I always let mine dry for about 30 minute before I remove it just to make sure it tacks up good. 

Tsevice is on the money, clear tape is not for wet applications, and is best used for multiple layering.

Tlzimmerman also is giving good advice, I would use paper application tape until you got used to laying vinyl bubble free.  The tack on application tape doesn't cause bubbles, I would check the angle that you are pulling the tape off at, and the condition of the substrate you are applying the vinyl to. 

I think proper squeege techinique and removal of tape is very important. push those bubbles out as you squeegee, then remove the tape by laying it all the way back onto itself, this will aid in its removal.

New Moon Graphics