biggin69

Can someone explane what blase offset is?

I have just discovered this term on the forum. I am using SignBlazer with an LP 24". What is blade offset and how should it be used? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Think of your car when it pulls a trailer. The wheels of the trailer do not follow the car wheels exactly around the corners. The longer the trailer, the closer to the curb the trailer tires get. To compensate for this you need to take wider corners so the trailer wheels don't go up on the curb and run over pedestrians. That is what offset is. It makes the cutter take wider corners because the tip of the blade is trailing behind the exact center of the blade.

Very impressive explanation. I've been wondering the same thing about the blade offset. What number should the offset be set to and should it stay set the same for all cutting? Thanks! Sandy

Guest debogus

The point of the Blade is not at the center of its shaft it is on the edge so I believe the offset number is = to the radius of the shaft ,on blades that step down its the radius that the blade is cut on.

I had lost the number on a blade ,so I used digital calipers to measure the diameter then divide by 2.

Correct in theory yes or no ?

The blade manufacturer usually tells you what the offset should be to start.  on the cheap blades it's on the paper in the lid

The point of the Blade is not at the center of its shaft it is on the edge so I believe the offset number is = to the radius of the shaft ,on blades that step down its the radius that the blade is cut on.

I had lost the number on a blade ,so I used digital calipers to measure the diameter then divide by 2.

Correct in theory yes or no ?

It depends on the type of blade. Some have leadouts machined on the back side (like this one in the image) so that method will not always work.

Jay

post-1657-12986549466135_thumb.jpg

If you look at the CleanCut blade website they have pictures of most blade styles. About half of them look similar to this.

Jay