DanielB

Un-satisfied customer.....

I did not get a deposit.  It was for a friend of a friend, didnt think I needed one.  I know better now.  Im new at this, part of it is my fault because I didnt know that a silver sign with red vinyl on top of white would be blurry from a distance, but she picked the colors and approved the size of the letters.  So I will take less than normal to fix it....but not free. 

Principal feels good , but can be expensive . Remember a happy customer tells a few people about the transaction .. angry- unhappy people tell everybody . Do whatever it takes to make her happy & it will benifit you in the long run . All a part of the learning curve in any new business  :thumbsup:

do whatever you think you need to do. I'd tell her to take a long walk off a short pier. You did what she wanted,and approved. End of story. If she wants a second sign,she should pay. her mistake shouldn't come out of your pocket. To me she sounds either like a crook or a bimbo..and maybe both.

Another thing....she sent me an email with a new layout that she wants on the sign, which means more design time changing it all on the computer. 

sounds like she has your number alright...

you have a good case for small claims court and you should make her aware of it.

50% deposit

signing proof

balance after delivery or I'm taking sign down .

NOTHING without signed proof and deposit.

Just my 2c

I agree 100%.

Since this is being discussed now would be a good time to ask, what does everyone use as a form for their proofs/contracts. And would you share. I could go write something up in word or excel, but I am guessing someone has something already. And chances are have had to work out the details on how to avoid getting gypped over the years by the wording in the proof sheet.

I am assuming it would be a form you could import the image into for proof of design signature.

Thanks

I own an alarm company, and we will do whatever it takes to make customer happy, beat advertising you can get.  That being said it may involve added a few costs for her.  Remember repeat customers and referals are were its at.

DanielB, how'd you make out?  This is an interesting thread!

We typically email out a proof in jpg or pdf format and wait for a reply saying "Approved" or "No Approved"

We are fixing the sign for an extra $100 so $900 total.  I just want it to be over and done with and didnt want to give her the satisfaction of getting something for nothing. Ha Ha  I like ive heard from a lot of people "unhappy people tell everyone"!!!  We dont want that!!

The saying I was told is " an unsatisified customer will tell everyone they know that they were unhappy with your work at the drop of a hat. The satisfied customer will tell one person,,,, if they have time".

Good to hear you brought it to a resolution, and didn't get reamed in the process.

I personally haven't dealt with an unhappy sign customer yet, but having plenty of experience in the customer service business, here's what I'm seeing:

Your customer made a mistake in her design, and she knows it.  Most people absolutely do not like to feel stupid.  She's trying to alleviate her stress by placing some of the responsibility on you.  This could be something she's doing purposefully or something she's barely aware of. 

In the business world, there are people who (1)respond to intellect, or people who emote their opinions, and (2)they either try to dominate a situation, or they respond to preening.  (or a combination from each category)  It sounds like she is someone who emotes (uses terms like "I feel that this is good, that is bad" etc..) and responds to the preening(flashy jewelry, maybe wears vibrant colors...).

Add to that the basic mistrust of businesses that we all share, and it can be a hassle to make a customer happy.  Personally, I would have initially given small reinforcing compliments to her design, and told her that as long as people see the sign AT ALL past 100 feet, she did a good job(hey, a sign should attract attention first. If you are able to READ a sign at 1,000 feet doesn't mean you will NOTICE the sign at 1,000 feet..).  IF she still wants a new sign, I'd give it to her for pretty much the price you have already agreed upon.  With a smile.

At the worst, you are out a little bit of time and money.  But now, this experience(and the lost wages) will stick with you and you'll be able to identify similar situations before they get to this point.  Good Luck!

Thanks for all the help on this situation.  Here is a picture of the sign after we stripped the old vinyl off and put just black on.  I will post another pic tomorrow after we put it back up on the 4 x 4's at her shop.  I know now to get everything in WRITING!!!! Ha Ha

do whatever you think you need to do. I'd tell her to take a long walk off a short pier. You did what she wanted,and approved. End of story. If she wants a second sign,she should pay. her mistake shouldn't come out of your pocket. To me she sounds either like a crook or a bimbo..and maybe both.

John you always make me smile.

Since she has a new design for the sign it sounds like she just didn't like how it turned out and wants to try something different for nothing. It is a bit different then a hair cut since she seen what it would look like from your sample piece and got exactly what she asked for. If she would have a computer that would show the exact hair cut you want on a picture of you and you said that is what you want and when she was done it looked exactly like it and you decide you don't like it should she charge to fix it? I would think so since you got exactly what you wanted. Tell her that senerio if she wants to compare. B) I am also new and don't know all the tricks yet. I have now learned to take down payments on big jobs and have them sign a form after approval. Anyone have a copy of this forum by the way?

Good luck to you and keep us updated!

Christi