Sign in to follow this  
dgillespie

importing

everytime i try import picture like jpeg or gif the program find all the different colorvarations that dont exist please hepl  you can contact through phone also 314 249 7236

I have had this same problem.  I will import a simple black and white design and when it opens in signcut, I get jagged lines and are usually gray. 

Can you email me a sample of a file you are having trouble with so I can try to open it in Signcut and other programs to test the results. You can also find more specific help with Signcut in this sign-making forum under the Signcut area.

http://www.signforums.com/forums

It's a good forum and free to use, but you must become a member to sign in and read all topics.

In this case it is likely that the file consisted of an image in a bitmap format. Such files are vectorized as they are opened and that is likely what have caused the jagged contour line. If that is the reason you should see those jagged contours also as you zoom in the image in SignCut-X2.

Use a vector format instead and be sure that the image is built up of vector lines and not a raster.

Another detail, text should be converted to curves, which use to be an export setting, at least it is softwares as CorelDRAW and Incskape, but in Illustrator that has to be done manually before export (but not if you have CS2 and uses the file transfer method offered by SignCut-X2). By the way, to get the text editable again in Illustrator CS and earlier versions, you can choose Undo after export.

It is recommended to export files for SignCut-X2 in an older AI-format for instance version 8, but also the latest are supported, except the CS2 AI-format as it is compressed.

Exporting from Inscape and CorelDRAW versions older that 7.0 are exceptions. For those use the EPS format instead.

There may be another reason for what you have experienced. If the image looks good as you zoom it in and the jagged result just is seen after cut out, then most likely the setting for knife offset is wrong. That parameter value depends upon the knife in use. Eventually your plotter calculate compensation itself. If that is the case (not Refine) than the Knife offset compensation value should be set to zero in SignCut-X2. You will find this setting in the Cut out dialog.

Finally, if the plotter is old and the knife holder is in bad condition, this is what can occur as well, but that is not what you have met in this case.

With all conditions and settings correct you should not see any of this. Instead the result should be very good. For instance I have seen 3 mm high letters that were accurately cut out with a Copam plotter that was controlled of SignCut. Actually it was the German dealer of Copam plotters who tested the knife offset compensation feature in SignCut-X2 and he were really surprised when he saw the result.

Tip! To weed such small things, transfer the whole thing and apply it to the sign surface before weeding. Eventually use the "Cutting of small text" feature that is found under the menu "Special cutting". As it is used, inner objects are cut first. The vinyl will be pre-feed to let you weed away those thin inner objects before the other paths are cut. Also put a weeding line at the middle along the text and you will be able to handle it rather conveniently despite the small size.

I'm having trouble exporting or importing my images from inkscape to signcut. I tried saving stuff different ways, and either nothing comes through or only 1 letter or image does. Thanks for your help. Starla

As you export from Incskape, be sure that it really is a vector image.

To be sure, take a look at it in wireframe mode before export.

If the image includes text, during export, choose the parameter "Convert text to curves".

Also update to SignCut-X2 subrevision 2.16