Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyMeMe

Healthy Thread,, Food, Recipes,Excercise

Lets post some Healthy stuff here, if you guys are like me we sit to long at that computer and design or hang out at these awesome forums,

So lets share some Healthy things here .

JOhn and Nancy, If you guys are going to change your diet,

her are some things i know,

Avoid eating white,, one of the main surgeons at the mayo clinc told me , one day,, avoid white,foods,, and you will never have to be on my table.

or anything that will not melt in your hand as far as a solid, that turns to liquid.

What does not melt in your hand, clogs arterties.

No lard

No Crisco

No white sugar

No white bleached Flour

these are a few

yes to olive oil

yes to butter

yes to wheat

and most important lots of oatmeal

I have tried to live by this,  I have a ton of recipes if you guys want some.

When you would normally bake, instead of white sugar put honey. you body uses it different,,

try to stay away from splenda and equal. they are synthetic

I make pies cookie, muffins, and carmels truffles, and all kinds of things,, white sugar is for my hummingbirds,, or guests for coffee..

sometimes i loose control and start sugar, and then crave it, and it makes me feel nasty,,, get back on my Honey, and I am good ..and lots of energy,,

Maybe we should start a healty recipe thread?

I hope this helps.

MonkeyMeMe

so far,the only thing I've figured out for sure is that almost everything I can eat, even it tastes bland as hell without salt.

any tips on how to add some flavor to simple things like chicken and potatoes would be appreciated.

Do you like garlic or rosemary? I'm with you I crave salt so it is hard to cut it back/out. But spices will at least give you some flavor. Did you have a history of high cholesterol before all this? Will they allow you to use butter at this point?

John, good to see ya,,,

My cooking is anything but bland,,

Spice, herbs, do not contain, salt,,

Fresh lime sqeezed while cooking salmon or chicken,, is unblievable,, or lemon,

And start cooking in sauces,,

like cook your chicken in olive oil,

in another pan, get some  oninons and going and carmalize them, that means cook untill they are sweet,, and brown, and then throw in Mushrooms, ,

ok, can you have wine, ? wine is a antioxident..

ok, so after your chicken is brown on both sides,, throw in your onions mushrooms,, inthe pan,,

and if you can have wine throw in enought to cover 3/4 inch of pan,, bottom,

if you cannot have wine, replace with flavored water,, peach and lime, and cherry are great for chicken

cover and simmer for 20 ,min,,

Tender juicy and full of flavor,,

i also add garlic at the end right before taking off heat.. 

Burned garlic does not tast well..

in your seasoning you can add, some fresh lemon, tyme, or rosemary, start playing with you herbs,,

if i ever use salt , it is sea salt,, non idoized...

let me know if you need ideas,, your food can tast so good, with herbs and spices,, go to a health food coop or store and just get some small bags of dried herbs, and fresh and start playing to see what you like,

a lil fennel, is awesome as well, or anise....

ohh fresh ginger, num

MonkeyMeMe

oh yeah, white wine for fish and chicken,

red wine for red meat,, I just go to the liquor store and buy the cheapest wine i find,,,to cook with , not drink,,lol

Anyone have a good chow mein recipe?

blueberries are a super food,,  they are full of anti cancer goodies.

MMM

I found out that mrs dash is good for seasoning it has 0gms all the way down. My husband got a booklet showing what all he can eat and what not to eat. The doc told him no red meats but maybe once a month. Red meats have alot of Cholesterol. I look at everything on the back of things now to see what the fats, cholesterol, saturated fats and sodium levels are if it is all 0gms or low gms then its good.

As soon as I get some reciepes I will share them.

Nancy

Thanks for starting this neat thread.  Neither my hubby or I were told to change our diet, but I've been slowly making changed since his kidney stone a couple years ago.

Don't have much red meat anymore, eat ground turkey, chicken, etc.  Have slowed down on white breads, NO bagels, etc .....my daughter is a carb counter...and she opened my eyes alot!! WOW  :thumbsup: and I love bagels!

Sorry I can't help with the bland food.  I do have a personal theory that your body craves what it needs.  So if you are craving salt then you probably need it (or some other mineral that goes with salt).   To that end I started taking vitamins.  Not sure how much it helped but I feel better.  I never was a big salt "adder" but I don't avoid it either.

"Eating" healthy is only 1/2 of the equation though.  As they say the key is diet AND excercise.  You can be skinny with out exercise but you cannot be healthy without it.

I was on nutrisystem for ~7 months. I lost 76lbs. (my goal was 70).  It was quite pricey so once I hit my goal I swiched to regular food.  The key with that program (and they tell you on the commerical) is the High Glycemic (sp?) carbs.  Stay away from them. MonkeyMeMe had it right with the white bread thing.  It also includes Potatoes.

My weightloss wasn't all diet. I started running on the treadmill.  I eventually entered a 5K.  Once I did that the running bug had me.  I just finished a 1/2 marathon sunday, ( I did the full marathon at the same race last year).

I know.. I know.. you can't run.  Some kindergarten pinky finger accident prevents you from getting out there.  I understand that.  If you however have the desire you can become a runner.  ANYONE CAN.  I'm continually amazed at all the shapes and sizes of people I see at running events.  This is a good link to get you started if you want to get going on a healthy diet AND exercise program.  This has helped A LOT of people get started running.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I was almost at my weightloss goal by the time I'd found it, but it's basically the same way I started.

Here is the results of a diet and exercise program.  (I'm wearing the same clothes, I have to hold up the shorts or they will fall down)  :D

If a big fat @$$ like me can get off the couch after 15 years you can to.  As they say in the Adam Sandler movies "you can do it"

before_current_5-14_sm.jpg

azdecals

AZ you look great and that has to feel so good to feel healthy as well. And we actually get to see REAL before and after pics too  :D

After you went from Nutrisystem and back to reg, but healthy, food is it harder to keep the weight off?

The short answer is yes.

There are a few things going against you (well me anyways) when you stop NS.

1st. Is convenience.  Prepackaged food is alot easier to plan and fix a meal.

2nd The finanical incentive.  When you are paying $300 a month for the "diet" you tend to follow it. :D

3rd The lifestyle change.  I think most folks once they hit thier weightloss goal just want to get back to the way things were, only skinny.  The problem with doing things the way you used to, was it made you fat.  If you go back to your old lifestyle you'll go back to being fat.

I've gained back about 15 lbs since I hit my lowest weight.  5 of that came from "the holiday season" which for me started a week or so before Thanksgiving. :-) 

The key for me is portion control and not drinking too much.  I expect to get back to my goal weight this year and maybe then some.

azdecals

Az,, yahoo, good for you,,,,, you did great,,

M&M

The way I eat,, is I eat all the fruits and vegs, i want anytime, your body needs them.

I also try to shop on the outside of the store,, dont go down the isle,,

I also take vit,,, as supplements,,

Try this for salads,

throw some almonds in the food processor,, and and heat up a pan,, with a pat of butter, put almonds in and toast,, when they and the butter is brown, take off heat add fresh garlic and raisens,, Dried Cranberries are awesome in here as well...

oh my gosh, who needs croutons with this,,

i could just eat it like that and i do,, lol

Guys dont get me wrong,, I am no skinny minnie,, i eat healty , i have always been  bouncy girl, My Husband says that is why he married me,, for the curves,, lol

but when i get a muffin, on my blue jeans i really watch what i eat.... but i eat alot,

i eat red meat, fish, and if i have a burger on the weekdays no bun, on the weekend i get a bun..

I dont know everything, but i do know what has workded for my body and my hubbys,,

and eating right is only half of it,, we have to get up and move,, i asked my husband if he could hook up my keyboard to my gazelle,, ( excerise equip.)

I wear size 10 jeans when good, when bad i wear a size 12, but I also feel like crap with all the carbs,,

Try that salad nut mixture if you dont like almonds do walnuts or cashews, but the almonds are full of amino goodies for you,.

and MRs DAsh is good.

Hey here is a tip too

I make my own spice blends,, throw some things you like, together,, and try it,, in a lil jelly jar, and keep by the stove,,

Banner John i wish you were closer,, i would make you some food, that you would have no idea, it is good for you,,

The only thing i havent figured out is how to make rice crispie bars,, without sugar,,lol

John tell what you are making this week for meat and i will help ya,, and make sure to keep that fiber going, or you will have trouble somewhere else,,

This is not a diet but a way of life.

MonkeyMeMe

This is not a diet but a way of life.

MonkeyMeMe

+1 Absolutely!

Azdcals

P.S.  I roped my wife, my SIL, and my BIL in to a marathon relay team.  We call ourselves "Team Muffin Top"  We even have shirts.

How can you fix ground beef and it be healthy. I have to find something else my husband can eat besides fish and chicken. I have a George forman grill would I be able to cook patties on it that way the fat will drain off of it.

Nancy

Nancy,

I'm sure the George Forman grill would help, but have you tried the ground turkey? It's really good and it's all we eat now for burgers!

Jenny

Jenny I just cooked tacos with ground turkey last night for the first time. My girls, away at college, told me how good it was and you can't tell the difference. When they were home for the holidays we ate at Ruby Tuesday and she ordered a mini turkey burger, it was delicious. I don't eat much meat to begin with so I was surprised how good it was.

Tory, glad to hear your daughters liked it and your surprise to it, I know we were too at first.  We use to eat alot of meat....but a few years back when my husband had a kidney stone, we figured it was time for a new lifestyle.  Did away with alot of red meats and went to ground turkey, chicken, etc.  Even did away with having potato side dishes as much, etc.  Trying to make some dietary changes.

The kids love the ground turkey...for tacos, chili, burgers, etc.

I have to admit, not sure I can give up the potatoes. I've never eaten a lot of meat, just don't care for the taste. But potatoes, carbs, are my weak point. I always try to cook healthy and with what I call "real food". Easy enough when home but eating out isn't as healthy. A few years back the Dr wanted to put me on cholesterol lowering meds. Figures, husband/daughter are carnivores and I love vegetables but it's me w the problem. Well John opened my eyes with that pic, will have to try harder to get it down. Scary stuff

Ground Turkey and Chicken are awesome, and the foreman grills are good as well, I have a wolfgang puck, Pannini grill that works like a charm as well..

Home shopping club , for like 89.00 the full size one, i keep a small one at work for grilled chicken and breakfast burritos,,

does any one use the tortilla, instead of bread?

We do and throw it ont he grill to toast it,, nummy,,

yep its lunch time so i am talking food,,,,

Last night I made Wildrice cassrole,

Wild rice is 0 choles, and very lil carbs,,

I dont normally eat potatoes, do i love em oh yes,,,, but instead i  use,, egg noodles,,

wheat noodles,, dumplings, with egg and spelt flour,, (fine ground wheat)

wild rice,, ect..

MMM I've tried the whole wheat noodles but very dense. How is it with the Spelt flour? Is that as heavy as the whole wheat? And I just bought 1/2 reg n 1/2 wheat flour the other day to make bread. Well at least it is better than 100% reg.

I'm w you , love rice of all kinds. You should have seen us trying to make homemade noodles. Had my Italian mother in law laughing. Another thing left to the pros lol. But I have heard it is easier to make egg noodles, I'll give that a try next time.

spelt flour is fluffy, we use it for rosettes at the holidays too, not grainy.

MMM