desertdog10

Hello!

Just got my Copam 2500 put together last night!  It is a tank!  My vinyl should arrive today so  haven't been able to play with it yet.  Couple of noob questions:

1.  I want to use my laptop but don't have a printer port.  I have read about problems using USB and wondered if I should just use the serial port? (DB-9 connection) 

2. I have Vista on it- is that going to be a problem for me?  I will be installing Signcut X2.

Thanks and I look forward to getting started! 

Jeff

Welcome, I also have vista with no printer port on the laptop and I couldnt get the copam to work.  I use flexi dont know if that will make a differance for you or not. I have to keep an older desktop computer for cutting

Yikes!  :- That's what I was afraid of.  I have all laptops in the house and hate to have to buy a desktop for this. Thanks for the reply!

Jeff

I have a serial port and a usb.  I guess I'll give them a try first before making an other purchases.  One more dumb question:

-Do I just install the signcut software to get started or do I have to go through the normal "add a printer/(cutter)" windows stuff first?  THANKS!

-Jeff

the cutter drivers should be in the signcut program

BTW:

Welcome to USCutter from New Jersey  ;) ;) :thumbsup:

Just got my Copam 2500 put together last night!  It is a tank!  My vinyl should arrive today so  haven't been able to play with it yet.  Couple of noob questions:

1.  I want to use my laptop but don't have a printer port.  I have read about problems using USB and wondered if I should just use the serial port? (DB-9 connection) 

2. I have Vista on it- is that going to be a problem for me?  I will be installing Signcut X2.

Thanks and I look forward to getting started! 

Jeff

I've never had a problem with my cutter and I have a serial to usb adapter on it for my laptop

Hey all, thanks for the howdy's!  I finally got something printed with the UsB cable.  What's really hindering me (other than my total lack of understanding vector graphics and Illustrator  ;)) is:

1.  How do you tell the Signcut program where to cut from?  No matter what position I start the cutter in, it takes off and cuts from the right side of the roll leaving a ton of open vinyl to the left.  Subsequent prints of the same graphic just roll more vinly out and cut behind the previous graphic. I'm sure there is a way to get more use out of your vinyl than just the right 4 inches (I HOPE!)

2. I have my down force set tot he lowest setting (50) and still have small pieces picked up (inside of Impact font "O's). There wasn't anything that told me how far to have the cutter sticking out of the holder and I just eyeballed it out a bit. Is this where I adjust it?

THanks in ADVANCE!!!!

Once I'm not using a roll of vinyl for some 2x4 inch stickers I'm gonna learn these pesky vector graphic if it kills me!!

-Jeff :thumbsup:

Hopefully my attachments worked.  I ordered the vinyl starter kit.  The adhesive paper that pulls the decal off (sorry, don't know he official name yet) seems to be too weak to pull the decal off the backing.  Also, noticed it is clear like packing tape and any decals I've ordered have been a more opaque paper.  Am I using the right stuff?  Thanks!

-Jeff

Still curious about how to use all my vinyl (previous post).

Looking forward to the suggestions.

post-3977-12986530593435_thumb.jpg

post-3977-12986530593935_thumb.jpg

post-3977-12986530608845_thumb.jpg

post-3977-12986530609116_thumb.jpg

Your talking about application tape...

There are many different kinds of app tape.  some are low tack, some are med tack, and some are high tack...  I use R-Tape Clear Conform.  its a High Tack Application tape and is clear for multicolor decals!

You could have a low tac adhesive masking tape but also make sure you burnish the graphic well before attempting to remove the vinyl with the masking tape.

I'm not familar with the signcut software you are using but here's one thing you can try.  Rather than plotting just one jeep sticker multiple times, modify your file so that you have multiple copies of jeep logo.  Add just enough of them side by side in your file so that it will use the most of the width of vinyl you're using.

What do you mean by "burnish" the vinyl??    :angel:

The decal's bond is stronger to the release paper than the tape is to the decal.  Apply adequate pressure with the squeegie ("burnisher") over the application tape on the vinyl graphic.  It needs some pressure but you really shouldn't have to put all your weight into it...if thats the case then the application tape may be the issue.

Ok- that's what I figured. I'm squeeging the heck out of it.  Also, I've found that that black vinyl I got is the issue- it seems a bit thicker than the other colors and I haven't had the same problem with the others. Again, thanks for the info.

-JJP