Sign in to follow this  
06_Mazda_Sicks

Compam 2500 no longer recognized (HELP?)

Alright, so i haven't used my copam 2500 in about 3 months. This is the first time i've ever had a connectivity issue with the copam,it's always been recognized by my laptop with no problem.A couple hours ago i decided to do some cutting and hooked up the cutter like i would any other time, but for some reason my laptop doesn't recognize it at all. My laptop only has usb ports, so i'm using the USB->RS232 adapter cable that came with the cutter. This is the same cable i have always used. I tried reinstalling the driver off of the mini cd that came with the cutter, but that didn't do anything. I saw a post in a thread about having the "current drivers" (i'd specify what it was, but i cant remember), there was a link, i downloaded drivers from the link,installed it, still nothing.I've tried power cycling the cutter, which also does nothing. I'm using a dell 1501 laptop running windows xp, the cutter used to show up as COM5, if that matters. When i plug the usb cable in absolutely nothing happens, the computer doesn't even attempt to find the new hardware connected or anything I've tried all 4 usb ports on my computer, still nothing.I've been on here for the past couple hours reading thread after thread and haven't found any answers. So if anyone has any input i'd greatly appreciate it.Thanks.

well, the only "usb to RS232 adapter" cable i have is the one that came with the cutter.So, nope, i haven't tried another cable. It's the only cable i've ever used with the cutter, so i'd find it hard to believe that could be the problem. The cable is in perfect condition, i even opened the box on the end to examine the connections inside, and everything is fine. If someone with first hand experience with this particular problem has solved it buy purchasing a new cable, i'll give it a shot, but i just think something else is causing the problem.

I had that problem, but my usb cable was visually damaged ( caught the falling computer  thakfully before it hit the floor ) $30 in BestBuys , $5 in e-bay

I'm still screwin' around with it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the current driver,rebooted my pc, but still nothing. I'm finding it hard to swallow that it could be the cable but i've run out of ideas. I mean, the cable is visibly in perfect condition, it's been draped over the machine, untouched ,for the past few months. I don't understand how it can suddenly just stop working for no apparent reason, but as far as i can tell, it's the only other thing it could be.As far as i know, the only reason the computer wouldn't at least recognize that something is plugged into the usb port,is if the cable is shot.If nobody's got any other ideas i guess i'll have to go buy a new cable tomorrow and see what happens.

You should hope that is the problem  :) , probably the cheapest fix now .

I"ve had USB cables go bad for no reason at all, and overnight. Worth a shot to try another one,anyway.

It's a cheap test & if it isn't bad you will have a spare cable if you ever pull the computer off the desk by moving the cutter a bit like I did  :)

Also make sure you are power cycling the Copam after each unsuccessful cut.

Ken , I have never power cycled my Copam . Is that something I should do even if there has been no problem ? ( turn it off & back on = power cycle ? )

Thanks , Rodger

Ken , I have never power cycled my Copam . Is that something I should do even if there has been no problem ? ( turn it off & back on = power cycle ? )

Thanks , Rodger

If there has not been a problem, I would not worry about it. When there are communication issues, it is a good idea when trying to establish communication.

Hey guys, sorry about the wait, I completely forgot to come back here and post an update, whoops. haha. So it turns out it was the cable afterall. I went to Rip-Off Shack and bought a new cable($37...WTF?), came home, plugged it in and "Voila!", back in business. I ordered a cable from Monoprice ($7 and change shipped) and plan on returning the Rip-Off Shack one when the other cable arrives. So weird that the cable just plain went bad for no reason at all. So to anyone who's having a similar problem, sometimes cables just go bad inside even though they look fine. Who'da thunk it? lol

;)  , not that anybody would say " I told you so " .......... ;D I'm glad you got it figured out ! I have been procrastinating on having spare cables around . I have meant to try the serial cable since I have updated to a new computer .

Thanks for updating us and you found the solution!

Oh Rodger.....hehe

Hey guys, sorry about the wait, I completely forgot to come back here and post an update, whoops. haha. So it turns out it was the cable afterall. I went to Rip-Off Shack and bought a new cable($37...WTF?), came home, plugged it in and "Voila!", back in business. I ordered a cable from Monoprice ($7 and change shipped) and plan on returning the Rip-Off Shack one when the other cable arrives. So weird that the cable just plain went bad for no reason at all. So to anyone who's having a similar problem, sometimes cables just go bad inside even though they look fine. Who'da thunk it? lol

We have been getting more of this recently. USB cables going bad for no reason. Ken and I have started recording the manufacturer that is sending us bad cables so that we can tell them what we think about that. +1 for copam.