As I'm learning more from you all, I also find myself expanding my business. Now I have a website running (spillover skill from my day job) but am curious about posting my prices online. I have been researching the other shops in my area and all of them do not list prices online. Some of these are the big companies like fast signs etc, but some are also little guys like myself.

I wanted to know what the community here thought about listing prices online for customers (and competition) to find. Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Thanks,

Grant

Hey friend, if you list your prices online, your competitors will be able to undercut you very easily.  The customers you do get are gonna be solely fixed on price.  This will also mean a lot of customers will just pass over you looking for the cheapest place online.  You want them to call or email you so you can use your salesmenship to close the sale.  And if you post your prices publicly it will cause a headache when a customer wants something special and there is an additional charge, but they give you the whole, "but on your website it says $9."

I don't completely agree with this.

I have found that many people searching for products online and they come to a website with NO prices, many feel that your prices are going to be way out of their budget and not even inquire.

Just my opinion.

I realize certain 'custom' items does require a different set of prices..but that can be said in various places on your website.

Also as time goes on and you develop a customer base, it's no longer going to be because of 'lowest price' it's going to be based on the quality of your products as it should!

Jen

If you are just using a website to showcase your business, it doesn't matter if you post your prices. It would be a good thing to list a minimum ,such as "banners for as little as $29.00" or something like that.

If you are using a website to sell directly, you don't post prices,you won't make a sale. It's that simple.

So, if you are expecting to sell (and ship) nationwide via a website,list your prices. Be specific about how many lines, colors,etc at the stated price,and make sure that you say that graphics,etc,could entail an extra charge.

As Jenny pointed out,people are price-driven. If they weren't looking for the best price,they wouldn't be looking on the internet in the first place.

It depends on the audience.  Random internet traffic people are just price shoppers.  They will need to see prices and just go with the cheapest person they find.  If your websites aim are local people, don't post prices.  To get people to slow down and call or email you need a call to action on your website.  If you do put prices then always put, "Starting at $....."

Thanks all for the input, I was starting to lean toward a hybrid listing, sort of along the "starting at $39.99" etc. and have them call if they want more than just basic stuff. Mostly I am aiming towards my local market where I can do installs on site and meet with the people paying me. I don't want to be a faceless shadow business.  ;)