macgirl

Oracal 751/wet application/RTTAT60-2400 AT60 transfer tape

So I'm trying to put up a 8 foot window graphic for our company. I scrubbed the window super clean, applied ActionTac put the giant logo up and squeegeed the snot out of it. Waited for a few minutes and tried a test corner- it wasn't sticking at all. Squeegeed it all over again and let it sit for 20 minutes then tested a corner- same thing. Repeated the process but after two hours it just wasn't working so I gave up and pulled it down  :'(

I had a smaller piece so I put that up without the ActionTac. Squeegeed out the bubbles then started pulling off the transfer tape and it lifted my image in places and introduced bubbles that weren't there. GRRRRRR.

I had previously tried doing a wet application with Oracal 651 and it had the same issues with not wanting to stick to the windows. Is my transfer tape to strong? Any of you pros know what I might be doing wrong? -on a side note I am NOT a professional vinyl wrangler and need the wet application "crutch" for this sign so please don't beat me up. :-)

The AT60 is a clear tape right? If so you need to get some paper tape to apply wet. I see on USC site it says you can apply at60 wet but from what I have heard do not try to apply wet using any clear tape. I have never tried. I havent used any clear tape yet. Im sorry that your graphics didnt stick though.

The AT60 is a clear tape right? If so you need to get some paper tape to apply wet. I see on USC site it says you can apply at60 wet but from what I have heard do not try to apply wet using any clear tape. I have never tried. I havent used any clear tape yet. Im sorry that your graphics didnt stick though.

I second that. Never use clear tape for wet.

Wet application is not a 'crutch'...it's just a tool like everything else you use. Wait til Jenny gets on and hear her experience with RapidTac 2.

I didn't even know there was paper tape! That seems to make a lot more sense. The only reason I mentioned "crutch" was I was trying to search for help earlier and came across this thread where it went way off topic with Wet vs. Dry applications and I am hoping this thread doesn't turn into that.  :)

What do most people use for their transfer tape? The AT60 seems to be really strong.

with paper transfer tape , after you let the decal set some , you can wet the transfer tape & it looses grip . Are you making the transfer tape bend 180 degrees at the removal point ,   So it is pulling the decal sidways instead of away from the substrate ?

( inside joke ...... "crutch"   LOL )  :);D ;D

Well it's on a window.... I kind of just peeled up a corner and was doing it at a 45 degree angle. I just found another post where users were praising the perfectear tape. Going to order that now.

I didn't even know there was paper tape! That seems to make a lot more sense. The only reason I mentioned "crutch" was I was trying to search for help earlier and came across this thread where it went way off topic with Wet vs. Dry applications and I am hoping this thread doesn't turn into that.  ;D

What do most people use for their transfer tape? The AT60 seems to be really strong.

Hi , Don't worry about that . Only a VERY persistant " attitude " could cause that again . Current members here are WAY better than that !!!  ;D

I use medium tack . I don't know the maufacturer as I bought it over 1 year ago elswhere  . USCutter sells it now & thats where I'll buy from  .

P.S. try the 180 degree when removing the transfer tape ,  That is AOT of difference !

I didn't even know there was paper tape! That seems to make a lot more sense. The only reason I mentioned "crutch" was I was trying to search for help earlier and came across this thread where it went way off topic with Wet vs. Dry applications and I am hoping this thread doesn't turn into that.  ;D

the person who thinks application fluid is a crutch instead of a tool won't be posting on this subject.

I never use clear tape except when shipping small decals. Some of it that I have tried is so strong it even pulled the vinyl up with a dry application.

have a look here for a tip or two:

http://www.youtube.com/RapidTac

I don't know if I am totally following the 180 degrees thing.. so is that bending the transfer tape all the way back on top of itself and pulling like that?

I think the AT60 is a high tack, I may not need that for what I'm dabbling with ;-)

Yes , I bend it back & slide it over top of itself & wiggle it some ( trial & error on each job sometimes )  I am still an amatuer , others may know better . For me that works best & when certain decals are stubborn , you can take a razor knife etc & help seperate .

I was told to use medium tack from several experienced sign people when I started .

Thanks so much for all the help. I really appreciate it! I felt like such a failure today and now I have hope that i can do this job. This window job is the only reason I was allowed to buy my new "toy" as it would save us money doing our own signage and car window ads- so far only my crafty stuff has been successful ;-) The husband was starting to get annoyed and I was embarrassed that I was such a hack.

Your welcome for my 2 cents worth  ;D . The guy in the video said 45 degrees , but it looked like 180 degrees to me  ;D

definately 180 degrees. He said "45,back over itself" so he just made a boo boo or maybe he is just lousy at degrees.

Macgirl....wow can I relate!!  8 days ago it took me 5 HOURS to get one store front window done in this cold weather...I tried everything I had....till I came here and John and a few others I believe recommended Rapid Tac II.  I watched the video and everything.  I came home feeling unexperienced and exhausted.

I ordered some right away....went the other day to finish the store front and did 3 windows within an hour!! I was THRILLED and it was worth it.  Don't mess around with anything else...you will save yourself alot of time and frustration...especially infront of a customer.  Plus who wants to waste their own valuable time putting up this vinyl? nobody I know of.

I use Perfect Tear by Main Tape and Rapid Tac II....I'll NEVER be caught without it again!  I love it so much I plan on ordering a gallon this week! ;D

Jenny

Done. Just ordered my Perfect Tear from Sighwarehouse. When I run out of ActionTac I will buy some Rapid Tac. I think my ActionTac should be OK as I'm not subject to harsh weather conditions. I live in Southern California where today was our first cold day at like 67 degrees ;-) At least I got to wear a sweater (I know some of you still consider that shorts weather  :) )

Jenny, thank you so much for sharing your story. While I'm still learning and doing this for personal and hobby stuff, I hope to be able to do this for money someday soon. Todays experience just left me feeling like I should stick to my day job, so happy to know that I just wasn't using the right tools. After I get my new tape I'll report back. I love that you all take such an active roll in helping people on these boards. It's nice as a n00b to get the help I need in such a fantastically speedy manner!  :)