Sign in to follow this  
melissab

wireless networking

I have a wireless network and currently have my cutter connected via usb to the pc that I use for design.  I would like to put the cutter a little further away from the pc--I use a usb wireless adapter for my older pc and was wondering if I could make the cutter wireless like my printers and the rest of my computers.  Anyone know if I should try the same type as the pc adapter or a printer wireless adapter?  Thanks!

You can try a wireless print server, but I think you'd have much better luck with purchasing a cheap old used computer and set it up specifically for cutting.  Do your design on your nice computer and then just grab the file off the network.

Thanks.  I'm so spoiled having all my printers and pc's wireless--was hoping to move the cutter to the other side of the room.  Don't need another computer--have 6 already.  I'm sure it will be available at some time.  :thumbsup:

Hmmm..I didn't know it would work on the Copam....but I don't think I'll try it.

But it was an interesting read.

There have been several posts about this and some suggestions...but yet to hear from anyone who made it work. Just before he died, I talked to jerry Bonham about it. As far as I am concerned, jerry knew more about cutters than anyone I ever knew...and he told me flat out that as of Feb 2008, the technology didn't exist to do this successfully on the sub-$1000 cutters and would not be available for years.

Like DarkDan said...it would be a headache. One dropped signal for a  second and you are out of luck.

Hook up a computer to it to use as a remote connection. You wouldn't even need a monitor or keyboard. Do a Remote Desktop Connection to that computer and cut from any other computer on your network.

all you can do is try. give it a go, and let us know what the results are  :thumbsup:

I bought a 20 foot serial cable from Tigerdirect for $15 to move mine across the room.

did the 20 ft serial work?

Has anyone tried a longer usb, ?

Is this a special usb, of some kind? yeah mine is real short .I would love a longer one,, to push the cutter away from the front of my computer lol

did the 20 ft serial work?

Has anyone tried a longer usb, ?

Is this a special usb, of some kind? yeah mine is real short .I would love a longer one,, to push the cutter away from the front of my computer lol

The 20 ft serial cable works just fine. I haven't had problems with it.

I had used a 10 ft usb cable for awhile but was getting too many cutting errors with the USB. I switched to a shorter one but still wasn't having any luck. For my cutter the serial cable is the way to go.

Before I switched to Flexi on my refine and started using a serial cable, I had the refine connected via usb...one regualr usb and one usb extension cable that I picked up at the Dollar Tree for $1. It worked fine like that for almost a year. Occasionally I had to unplug the cable at the cutter and plug it back in again but this was because the connection on the cutter itself wasn't tight. A bit if duct tape fixed that once I figured it out. TOtal of usb,with the cheap extension..11 feet.

I use the USB cable that came with the refine, plus a 15ft extension making it 21ft total assuming the other is 6ft. Never had a problem, have used this setup for the last 6 months.

thanks guys to the am gonna get a extension too then,, that will make it much better,,