Sign in to follow this  
JoeCamaro

Strong Static: Normal?

Yesterday I was moving my Refine and I felt a Strong Static coming from behind where the carriage sits (see attached pic). The cutter was off, but it was connected to the power outlet.

I never felt that before, maybe because I never tried moving it being connected to the power outlet.

The cutter is grounded.

What could it be? Is this normal? How do I fix it?

Thank you.

JC

post-1068-12986527751426_thumb.jpg

post-1068-12986527764249_thumb.jpg

its a longshot, but try wiping the machine down with a dryer sheet. any type that removes static. is your cutter on carpet?

bb

No, it is not on a carpet.

Do you mean those sheet you use to dry the car?

Thank you for the advice.

Joe

I think he means those fabric sheets you throw in your dryer after you wash clothes.

Probably more from you than the machine. I was at the grocery store (no carpet there) and every time I would walk down an aisle and touch the handle on a freezer door, I got a strong static shock. It was my shoes on the tile.

yea the sheets for your close dryer. i get a real strong shock when i wear my holey soles/ crocks and i grab the car door to close it. something about the synthetic clothing we wear and the atmospheric conditions.

bb

come to think of it, you were probably the one with the electric charge, and the machine being properly grounded was picking it up from you.

bb

I have found that my machine cuts better if i spay some pledge on a towel and wipe the machine down before i use it. It use to randomly go nuts, lose communication and other wacky things. Its cut perfect ever since

When you say your machine is grounded, do you mean that you have the extra wire connecting the stand to the head?

ok, guys i have a new machine, and i did not get a wire to connect machine to stand,, What does everyone suggest, My machine went wacky also, last week, and then i relized i was on a rug,, I took it off and went right to the cement floor. but i have noticed that my vinyl has static,, so i did grab a dryer sheet and wiped the backside down, seemed to help, but i would like to get this wire you guys are talking about..

go to your local hardware store and get a lenght of wire and a couple crimp connectors (eyelet).

bb

can you take a pic and show me where to connect what,, thanks

Monkey MeMe / Sandy Jo

i don't have the same machine as you. all you need to do is find a screw on the cutter and one on the stand that are near one another. run your wire from one screw to the other. maybe someone who has a machine like yours will post a pic.

bb

I just pulled out a random screw on the bottom of the machine and hooked the other side of the wire up to the screw that holds the plate onto the outlet.

thanks guys, any special wire,? of just copper wire, uncovered , or just the ends to go on screws uncovered, heading to the garage to go thru hubbies extra wire! lol

he will love that,,, lol

so i will connect to a screw anywhere on machine and anywhere on stand,,

Thanks

I didn't connect to my stand, just straight to the outlet box.  It's the front right screw on the bottom, but I doubt it matters.

connecting the stand to a metal part of the cutter housing should provide a connection to the grounding lead on the power plug. one way to test this would be to connect a continuity tester to the ground pin on the power plug and the stand. you should have continuity.

bb