Sign in to follow this  
Laceylp

help with decals for show

Hi...I'm wondering the people who make and sell vinyl decals..how do you package them?  How do  you make them for shows?  I'm thinking of trying to make some and use them at a craft show just before Christmas for Christmas money.  Just wondering how do I do this? 

Thanks in advance,

Lacey

I don't do craft shows but when I ship multiple decals...I save the backing paper from the vinyl and put some between each decal, doubled over so the slick side is against both decals.

If I were doing a show, I would just wait until someone purchases before applying the application tape. Depending on what kind you use,it will often curl and pull back from the paper after it sits for awhile.

Just a suggestion..I am sure others have more ideas.

WOW John, you must have quite a box full of vinyl backing..  ;D

I would need to find more room to save all mine, but it's a neat idea.

WOW John, you must have quite a box full of vinyl backing..  ;D

I would need to find more room to save all mine, but it's a neat idea.

you wouldn't believe it.

When i cut 24" or 30" vinyl, I save a bit of the backing paper,roll it up for just such things. I also do this with coroplast and magnets. I never throw anything awy than I can use.Landfills are full enough.

Thanks for the tip!  I have been saving my backing and just tossed some cause I had no room! LOL  I'm picking it out of my paper trash.

Thanks for advice and show saturday!

Lacey

Not ready at all. Scared sh@tless!!! 

Thanks for the tip!  I have been saving my backing and just tossed some cause I had no room! LOL  I'm picking it out of my paper trash.

Thanks for advice and show saturday!

Lacey

Not ready at all. Scared sh@tless!!! 

Hope you do well at your show.. Everyone i hear that does them it turns out real well for them. Are you taking your cutter and cutting on spot? Thats what we do and make a killing. We have a big 4 day show right after Turkey day and can't wait. Take some pics of your setup when your there and post them up...

I do craft type shows.  With other things and am gradually going over to vinyl.  I want to take vinyl decals to craft shows to sell and hopfully make a little money to keep buying vinyl! LOL

I just have no idea how to package decals or what to bring that is popular.  :-

Lacey

I just did a Christmas craft show and had sweatshirts and mugs, no customers came to the show so didn't fair well as far as that goes but had several vendors ask for signs. I also advertised wall words (no cutter with me) and had several people ask about them.

I'm not sure if they will allow cutter and I'm going in blind.  Not knowing much so I feel like I was caught with pants down! LOL  Maybe I was.  A friend got me to go and I'm just hoping to get some stuff cut and weeded that is popular like the D and Wings and school stuff.  Maybe stick figures.  Wall art and words maybe. 

I'm so unprepared.....

My other shows I would spend months on.  This one is like flying blind and with a partner..not something I normally do.  Friend calling out a last minute favor so if I do well I will be shocked!!! I guess the more people that see me the more known I can become right??? 

Lacey

Lacey be sure to let us know how everything goes, please. I'm interested in doing such too but, like you, not sure what sells, how to price, or how to display. I can imagine sales would be better WITH your cutter there as it will create interest. I went to a craft show last weekend and saw most wall words for $8-9 or so. Then you look online and prices are about $29 for the same. I know the craft circuit is goin to be cheaper but $20 seems a huge difference. They are also having wall word home parties in my area. Trying to find out pricing for that too. Good luck and please inform us of the outcome

LOL  Friend of mine just said she was invited to a Wall Deco Party here.  I told her get a book fo rme I want pricing info.  I f I get it I have no trouble posting it.  I plan most my designs selling between $7 and $20. Not taking a lot of huge designs.  But for the smallest was running & each or two for ten.  May move more that way to buy more vinyl and app tapes.  :thumbsup:

Lacey

Craft shows....seems like things $20 and under sell better. No idea why. I once set up next to a guy who made home-made brooms,which he sold for $30 ( I still have mine after 21 years,btw..they last forever)...andway, he sold one every little bit, but his $6 hand brooms were flying across the counter. Always have a selection of low dollar items to pay the rent.

Lacey same here, my daughter is trying to get the price/book so I can take a look. If I obtain it I will let you know.

John I've heard the same about those brooms, good to know something still is made to last. And yes, I agree about the pricing about craft shows and having at least one item that sells for about $5/6. It all adds up in the end.

Lacey another thing to think about is CC, those that accept them seem to sell more

Yeah.  I do not have time to set up and buy a manual cc processor which I was going to do.  I will bring my alptop and maybe use paypal on site.  Of course they will have to set a paypal account to use so...Always pass out business cards as well for custom.

I have a few items under $10.  Butterfliles and still coming up with a boy type item.

Will keep everyone posted on amount of people coming in and set up and everything! LOL

Thanks,

Lacey

Lacey that's not a bad idea actually but I've read that you can process through paypal and they don't even need a acct. Maybe you can find the details before the show.....in all that spare time you have. :- Good Luck!

I have heard to set up an account with a processor is pretty expensive so I will use my paypal and make it work.  As long as I can make it work...LOL

Lacey

I've seen people put the tape on the decal and put each one in a seperate zip lock plastic bag.  Kinda cheesy, but it works!  Plus, you could also throw a Business Card in there and use a permanent marker to put the price on the bag.  I'm thinking about putting installation instructions on the back of business cards.

Jay

PS - Are you sure they're going to have internet access at the show?