Sign in to follow this  
Knobhill

Windows XP SP3

The problem is that some GEEKS have fewer problems then others because they keep their computers up to date and organized.

I am one of those GEEKS - all drivers are routinely updated, I run defrag about once a month, I run Ad Aware and Spybot once a week. My wife thinks I'm crazy but we very seldom have problems, and when we do they are easily corrected.

I have looked at my Sisters computer and it scares me to think that she is the norm!!! It is a jumbled mess that barely works - about every three months I have to go over and fix it as it is constantly locking up and re-booting. I spend 4 hours fixing it - and I give her instructions on how to keep it running clean -- three months later she is back to the same thing. SHE MAKES ME CRAZY!!!

These are the people that keep the Best Buy GEEK squad busy. Most of the problems they deal with could be fixed by simple maintenance, but people are too lazy to do it. They wont take the time to learn so they buy a new computer every year or two and bitch that HP or DELL makes crappy computers!!!

On top of all that most are forced to use the worlds biggest virus program -- WINDOWS!!!!

I would love to get away from Windows, but programs like Sign Blazer force me to keep at least one Windows machine around at all times. They clam it is too expensive to port SB to Lynix for not enough users -- if more software was available there would be more Lynix users!!! It's a catch 22.

Anyway that's my .02

Enjoy the rest of your day -- and let the fight continue!!!

No more fighting or I have to remove the darn thread......we are adults, so let's at least try to act like it.

Please, thank you.

:huh:

Guest fivestar

The problem is that some GEEKS have fewer problems then others because they keep their computers up to date and organized.

I am one of those GEEKS - all drivers are routinely updated, I run defrag about once a month, I run Ad Aware and Spybot once a week. My wife thinks I'm crazy but we very seldom have problems, and when we do they are easily corrected.

I have looked at my Sisters computer and it scares me to think that she is the norm!!! It is a jumbled mess that barely works - about every three months I have to go over and fix it as it is constantly locking up and re-booting. I spend 4 hours fixing it - and I give her instructions on how to keep it running clean -- three months later she is back to the same thing. SHE MAKES ME CRAZY!!!

These are the people that keep the Best Buy GEEK squad busy. Most of the problems they deal with could be fixed by simple maintenance, but people are too lazy to do it. They wont take the time to learn so they buy a new computer every year or two and bitch that HP or DELL makes crappy computers!!!

On top of all that most are forced to use the worlds biggest virus program -- WINDOWS!!!!

I would love to get away from Windows, but programs like Sign Blazer force me to keep at least one Windows machine around at all times. They clam it is too expensive to port SB to Lynix for not enough users -- if more software was available there would be more Lynix users!!! It's a catch 22.

Anyway that's my .02

Enjoy the rest of your day -- and let the fight continue!!!

Smallsigns you hit the nail right on the head.  I love that people don't keep their systems updated and regularly run anti-spyware/virus, this makes me alot of $$$$ oh and for the record, I think HP and Dell do make junkie puters. :huh: ??? :huh:

Now now fivestar -- let's not start fighting about Dell and HP -- don't want to make Ken go all Police on us.

Dell and HP make great products if you custom order them. If you buy off the shelf at Best Buy or Circuit City you are crazy.

I prefer to build my own, but I have custom ordered many for company's I worked for and they are still working great today.

They key is to ensure you are getting the correct hardware for the intended projects, and then get a larger processor, more memory and a larger hard drive because demands change. This is the best way to "future proof" your machine - at least for a few years.

The biggest rule of thumb is to get as much processor and memory as you can afford and then go one step more!! Too many people shop price and not hardware. If it's on sale it must be good!!

Can you till this is a sore subject for me!!

I need to go cut some vinyl -- get my blood pressure down a bit!

Sorry Ken -- I know I shouldn't rant like this -- I will be better soon -- as soon as my meds kick in ;-)

exactly!

And Microsoft refuses to recognize the fact that MOST computer users are NOT geeks...

When an update is released,it should be click and install,no problems. Because that's what 99% of the people do.

Somehow I managed to get on Microsoft's mailing list and every few months I get some CDs in the mail that they want me to try out. I can't even remember what the last one was. ANyway, one CD that they sent was all combined updates,up to and including SP2. That installed like a dream. I figured they wait til they are SURE about it before they issue the CD. So,when my friend at IBM gives me the OK...I will install SP3 or wait for the CD.

As for Vista...well....I have a copy right now. One of these days, I might try it out. The problem I have with it and Microsoft is that with every new OS... I have to add more RAM.

Microsoft has always been a bit fast to rush into things...who can forget when  a 'new and improved' Windows 98-running PC crashed leaving a 'Blue Screen Of Death' during a demonstration in front of about a thousand reporters and live on CNN

oh,and on the PC debate...I've had every kind there is,I reckon...built a few too...and the oldest,still running with never a problem...is an eMachine. It will be 7 years old in September. And it has been running 24/7 for most of that time. The only time it gets turned off is when I need to reboot for some reason. I think it cost $500 at Best buy.

Two of my machines at home are eMachines...and both of them run great!  :huh:

the only people I ever hear complain or trash eMachines are people who don't have them. I have 3 right now...one of them a pawn shop find...I use it for music and podcasts while I work..and ALL of them are absolute work horses.

If You get Everest and look at what's inside, eMachines always used well known  brand name everything from the mainboard out. Since the Gateway takeover,things might have changed.

But anytime I see an eMachine at a pawn shop,or yardsale, I grab it. Yet to have one that I had to trash.

Guest fivestar

Emachines biggest flaw was always their power supplies.  They may have changed that now as I don't see many of them come through my shop, I just figured people wisened up and quit buying them.  :huh:

Nothing against you guy who use them, of course.

Emachines biggest flaw was always their power supplies.  They may have changed that now as I don't see many of them come through my shop, I just figured people wisened up and quit buying them.  :huh:

That was their big flaw at one point...but they corrected it.  I believe Gateway owns eMachine now.

You got that right. To be fair,that seems to be the same case in most store-bought machines. The power supply is the weak spot in the low end models. One eMachine I had needed a pwer supply while still under warranty (just barely) and I called them. On my father's grave I swear that I had a new power supply on my front porch the next day. UPS next day air. How's that for customer support? MY nephew bought a Dell that had no sound right out of the box...it took Dell 5 days to get a tach out to replace the main board.

With Dell it all depends on the warranty package you bought with your computer. I bought through my company so I got the upgraded warranty package. I have gotten next day turn around. I have been really happy with my dell machines.

Guest fivestar

That's why I got this one in my machine.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052 and got an ole 20.00 Rosewill sitting in my desk at the house as a backup.

Now here at the shop I am running  Thermaltake 430W PS's which is plenty for the machines I run here.  I've got about 10 used ones sitting around so if one goes out of a machine here, I can slap a used one in.

Power supplies are one of the most important things on a puter that most people don't have a clue on.

I was one of the first tech support people for eMachines when they first started selling them (about 2 dozen of us when we first started, and over 400 when I left). I believe their first model was the 265, and that was several years ago. Was with them for almost 3 years as they grew from virtually unknown, to the top 4 in sales of personal computers. Price point accounted for that. Indeed they did use name brand parts inside (I think they were formed by Tri-Gem & some monitor company- both from Asia) but they cut corners by integrating the video and sound on to the motherboard, which is what all the other manufacturers started doing to lower the cost of their units to compete with eMachines. They are the reason you can buy a Dell, GateWay, HP, etc. for under $1000 nowadays. The two things I remember most about them was, ditch the PCI modem and buy a name brand modem, and replace the power supply right away. Many horror stories, but I won't get in to those. I could write a book.

Point is: They are great machines for the money, but just like any computer: the more software you install/download/run on it, the slower the performance, unless you knew how to properly maintain the system. Disable startup programs, defrag, uninstall unused programs or expired programs, add more RAM, etc.

Guest Terry

Can't we just all get along.....?

LMFAO, I been off the forum for a bit, this is GREAT I can't stop LMFAO. Ken you kill me LMAO how do you handle this, Meds??.... LMFAO!!! I gotta go this is killing me my stomach hurts from laughing.

Ken is a saint...a man of infinate patience. If we all knew what went on behind the scenes in an average day for him,we would probably wonder how he manages.

I wouldn't have his job for any money,even if it came with a 1960 Jaguar Mark II (candy apple red) as a company car.

post-249-12986520178834_thumb.jpg

post-249-12986520192611_thumb.jpg

Can't we just all get along.....?

LMFAO, I been off the forum for a bit, this is GREAT I can't stop LMFAO. Ken you kill me LMAO how do you handle this, Meds??.... LMFAO!!! I gotta go this is killing me my stomach hurts from laughing.

Is it even legal in te states to use "LMAO" so many times in one sentence?!?! I'm a nut job?  :huh:

Guest fivestar

Yes Ken they were formally Tri-gem, I remember owning one of those back in the day.  :huh: 

Back to subject, SP3 probably works great on them too.  :huh: