Sign in to follow this  
BlueSkyNoise

How to measure items for vinyl skins

Hi i was wondering if anyone knows what i would need to measure a surface area such as a laptop lid, or a phone. I want to make some skins for my phone and laptop but aside from a ruler and trial/error I'm clueless. I've heard of laser measurement and crazy stuff like that but it is probably not in the cards for me.... Anywho i'm new here my name is Tyler nice to meet you all hope I get some answers thanks

Get close measurements then trial and error, scrap vinyl till you get it right.

mark-s

• Like 1

Buy a roll of ~14-15" wide application tape and apply it to the surface - then use a shallow cutting knife - US Cutter used to sell such a knife, I don't see it on their site any more - and carefully cut away the excess tape from your surface - then carefully peel it off and start measuring the remaining tape...

• Like 3

Sometimes you can scan them or take a good picture and measure a given point to scale the pic to be exact then you can draw around the parts you want to miss. I did this on a Wii remote and it worked fine. There is still going to be a little trial and error but vinyl is cheap in small pieces like that. 

• Like 1