Sign in to follow this  
rmtrudeau

Today is the day...

Ok,

Thanks to the forum already for the help. I finally received my Laserpoint II cutter in the mail the other day and got it out of the box and onto the stand.

Does anyone have any tips whatsoever for the initial power up and setup of the machine. I have been looking at the US Cutter videos online and they are mostly pretty vague. I haven't even put the blade in yet (blade should be exposed about half the thickness of a credit card?). Which side (left or right side) should I feed the vinyl on, etc. I assume you would feed it with the right edge of the vinyl on the control panel side, but just making sure.

I have the SCALP running and updated and the device driver downloaded as well.

Any thoughts? Just want to make sure I am not missing anything before I go ahead and plug it in and try to start doing some work.

Tips to make the first cuts not a complete waste?

Thanks!

Ryan

blade should be exposed about half the thickness of a credit card?  DO NOT DO THIS.!!! 

Here is how to set the blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

Alright, so I have the machine set up, connected and I fed it a job to do.

The first time I realized the blade wasn't even on the vinyl when it was moving. Not sure if the blade is automatically moved down to the surface or not.

I couldn't figure it out, so I moved the blade carrier down to the surface of the vinyl by hand. I tried the job again and it just went back and forth in a straight line and the machine would not feed the vinyl at all.

So I just tried it again, and it looks like the rollers aren't even moving the vinyl through the machine. Like it is slipping just hanging out in one place.

The rollers are actually moving, the vinyl is not.

Make sure the carriage head wheels are firmly down in the track..  The carriage head moves the blade holder up and down,, So that it cuts when it should cut.   Post some photos of the carriage head and you do have the pinch rollers down over the grit rollers correct?

I actually haven't seen the carriage head move the blade holder at all yet up and down. Will get a better picture of that.

I actually just got it to make the design I want, but it is dragging the blade through the entire thing since I guess the head does not go up and down?

Just curious, but can you reveal what steps you took to get the vinyl to track/roll properly through the machine?

If your carriage head is not providing Z-axis travel (up and down) to the cutting blade holder assembly, that is a problem which USCUTTER needs to be told about immediately.

I actually just got it to make the design I want, but it is dragging the blade through the entire thing since I guess the head does not go up and down?

There is a way to test the electromagnet inside the carriage head  -- you'll need a 9v battery (those rectangular ones) and hook it up to the bare leads on the cutting head (open the outer cover).

I didn't know the pinchers were supposed to line up with the marks on the printer to be directly on top of the rollers. Stupid. 

Wonder if there is a way I can test the Z-axis?

Am I pretty much screwed or is that something that might be fixable?

I didn't knpw the pinchers were supposed to line up with the marks on the printer to be directly on top of the rollers. Stupid. 

Wonder if there is a way I can test the Z-axis?

Am I pretty much screwed or is that something that might be fixable?

It's a cutter, not a printer.

I just explained how to test the electromagnet that controls the head movement on the Z-axis.

Run wires from a 9v battery to the leads on the head, it should jump up & down, proving that the mechanism is fine, but the motherboard is failing to send the Z command (which could be as simple as the Z chip failing, or maybe something more drastic).

You have a warranty, this is all covered.

With my Laserpoint 1, I remember being able to move the blade holder up and down with the arrow buttons. That might help rule out an issue. I just don't remember how to do it. Someone else will chime in I'm sure.

There is a way to test the electromagnet inside the carriage head  -- you'll need a 9v battery (those rectangular ones) and hook it up to the bare leads on the cutting head (open the outer cover).

I have the cover off and I have a 9v battery. Do I need wiring? I see where the 2 black leads are soldered in.

If he's lucky, there will be something hanging up the free movement inside the cutter head. It happens, those machines get knocked around quite a bit during their sea voyage from China and then the warehouse transfers and finally shipping to your door.

Yes, just run wires from the + and - of the 9V and that electromagnet should jump.

If it doesn't (or you hear it trying to), the mechanism is binding somewhere.

Sorry...think we are writing at the same time.

The up and down arrows are feeding the vinyl, and the left and right arrow are moving the carriage side-to-side.

Unfortunately I don't have any wiring around the house...so I guess I am out of luck.