Sign in to follow this  
dcbevins

Big Squeegee Tools

I am a bit bewildered by all the different Big Squeegee tools.  I am still viewing YouTube vids.

There are laminator, cradle, cut vinyl, and yard sign tools in a variety of sizes.  

What I am hoping is something to make masking easier, and maybe alleviating the need for a tape roller.  Also I think these might be used in applying the graphics.  My cutter can hold up to a 48" roll.  Something that I could use to deal with say a large wall graphic would be nice, but versatile enough for smaller applications.

I currently can't output photo or printed material only having the cutter.  I am not laminating.  If I get say a fat juicy Roland print cut, laminating might be needed.  So being versatile enough to handle that would be a boon.  I am not sure one of these can replace a regular laminator.

I just did 24 double sided campaign signs on 24"x18" coroplas with cut vinyl.  I manually pulled the application tape by hand, (had a helper hold the tape for some.)  Stooping over left me with a sore back!  I am looking at the Big Squeegee as less painful and quicker method.

What Big Squeegee do you guys recommend I try and what size?  Can I apply the tape and the graphics with these?  Does it allow for better alignment/placement?  Could I some how apply a large wall graphic in one swoop?  Any other tips or usage ideas for these things?

I wan't to get one at least, but might go for two if they could be super useful.  Which one(s)?

I am eyeballing these, though this listing doesn't seem to to list all sizes and models.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_office-products?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Big+Squeegee&node=1064954

I use the cut vinyl tool. Absolutely love it! There is a small learning curve but with just a bit of practice app tape is now a one man basically risk free maneuver. I use it on everything from 24" down to as small as my 10" rolls. I have taped off things as long as 16ft long. The trick is to get lined up straight and be sure there are no warbles at the start. I burn about 8" of app tape on most installs being sure of the actual roll direction. If I have something really long I run a little farther like 12"-15" to get a good edge to line up with a clear ruler. 

If you are doing yard sings just run a whole string of them and app tape the whole string or however long you're comfy with and the wasted end has less impact per sign. 

I use the same one that BannerJohn uses, but in the 26" size. That, along with an application tape roll holder at the end of the tape is the perfect setup. I can apply tape to 24" wide vinyl in a matter of seconds.

Thanks for the input.

Are you using something like this pshawny?  http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller

I generally have smaller roles of transfer tape than the size I am using so I end up making two passes.  Will a BS be useful when my tape isn't as wide as the graphic and I have to do multiple passes or should I just start getting bigger tape?  I am tending toward the Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl/Tape Applicator Tool, 32", but the 18" Rivet/Dent tool looks like it would be easier to wield for smaller things.   Would both be redundant?

I made my own. 18" wide piece of .08" aluminum with the loop part of the velcro across the end.

Thanks for the input.

Are you using something like this pshawny?  http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller

I generally have smaller roles of transfer tape than the size I am using so I end up making two passes.  Will a BS be useful when my tape isn't as wide as the graphic and I have to do multiple passes or should I just start getting bigger tape?  I am tending toward the Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl/Tape Applicator Tool, 32", but the 18" Rivet/Dent tool looks like it would be easier to wield for smaller things.   Would both be redundant?

I have the 26" and rarely feel like I am missing the wider tool. I use it on skinny stuff too but may invest in the 18inch one of these days just because it would fit better on smaller stuff. 

I ordered the 32" cut vinyl and the 18 inch rivet dent.  They will be here in a few days.  Woo hoo.

• Like 1