gcextreme

Removing paint from glass.

Got a customer that wants me to put their business name and logo on their door...and remove the old name off the window next to the door..but the old stuff is painted onto the inside glass...not sure what kind of paint it is.

Whats the best way to remove it without damaging the glass?

First things that come to mind are paint thinner and paint stripper but I have no clue what that will do to the glass.

Spray it with app fluid and use razor blades at a low angle. There are probably more modern way of doing but that's how I do it. The app fluid seems to help the blade glide over the glass easier

• Like 1

Ah ok..will try that. Going to removed and install all next week...gotta design their new stuff first.

Thanks

If you use stripper (aircraft stripper) use a sponge and thick rubber gloves. When it is all bubbled up it's ready to take off. Plenty of ventilation or after hours since it's very strong.

Spray it with app fluid and use razor blades at a low angle. There are probably more modern way of doing but that's how I do it. The app fluid seems to help the blade glide over the glass easier

I'd do this....

It'll work.   

• Like 1

Sometimes simple is best and you don't have to worry about chemical strippers getting somewhere they shouldn't.

• Like 1

i use goo gone when it will not scrape off easily, just wipe on heavily then scrape with handheld straight razor. 

I used to tint windows years ago. Use a spray bottle with about 9-10 drops of dawn dish soap or something like it. Get a long handle scraper from Lowes or any hardware store. They are usually found in the flooring department for floor scrapers. Keep it wet and scrape it off. The better the blade the less chance of damaging the glass.

• Like 1

Keep the paint stripper away from glass!

Learned that one the hard way when I was 16 and got my first car. Used some paint stripper on the windshield to get the paint marker off, and it killed the glass. Had it for one day and had to have the windshield replaced.

You don't want to find out that the paint stripper you choose isn't compatible by having to replace a customers storefront glass (especially if its double pane or hurricane glass). Just stick with the app fluid and razor blade. The longer it takes, the more you charge.

• Like 1