Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

Screen Printing info wanted

I had avoided screen print for myself for awhile now.  I have no knowledge of it for on other than a few you tube videos about the process.  However.... the need keeps coming up for me to "get into it".  Originally I thought I would look into something that could handle runs of maybe a 100 or so with several colors.

Now, something has come up that could generate jobs for me in the hundreds (at a time).  Therefore I am now seriously considering adding screen print to my arsenal.

That being said...... I have no idea what type/size equipment I would need for several hundred shirt runs.  I started googling and came across "semi automatic" and "automatic" machines?  What?  I didn't even know there was a such thing.  I mean, how do the shirts get loaded?  Once guy claims his "semi auto" machine turns out 180 garments per hour!!  NICE!

Anyway, I was hoping some screen printers might offer up some advice for someone looking to jump in with both feet.  More specifically, what type of equipment should I look into?  Manual, Semi, Auto?  How many stations?  How many colors?  Keeping in mind some runs might get up to 1000.

What would be the suggested starting point.  I don't want to buy to big but I don't want to go to small and have to upgrade quickly.

I am still in the "should I or not" phase so any and all input would be appreciated.  I am not totally sure I want to do it but like I told my wife tonight...... How many times do things need to fall into your lap before you finally make a move and stop passing it on?   I can't tell you how many jobs I have pushed to the locals here that do that.  I think someone is trying to tell me something.....

I know it is a lot to ask for someone to take time out of their busy schedule to share info with others at times but I do appreciate any insight y'all are willing to offer up.  Thanks

Look at the prices on automatics and semis plus they take up a HUGE amount of space. If space is an issue (which it always is for me) there are 4 color 2 station presses made on top of a small conveyor dryer.

I found a local guy that charges me a wholesale price on everything, from screen burns, color changes, to pulling the colors.  He would rather work with graphics guys/gals :D..  Our art work is usually done, all he has to do is print the film and burn a screen.  Huge markup and a win - win for everyone.  If you talk with some local screen printers and work out a deal, you'll be money ahead,,  a hell of a lot quicker than buying a screen printer, flash dryer, screen wash, ect..

Thanks Jay for input!

I found a local guy that charges me a wholesale price on everything, from screen burns, color changes, to pulling the colors.  He would rather work with graphics guys/gals :D..  Our art work is usually done, all he has to do is print the film and burn a screen.  Huge markup and a win - win for everyone.  If you talk with some local screen printers and work out a deal, you'll be money ahead,,  a hell of a lot quicker than buying a screen printer, flash dryer, screen wash, ect..

Without going into to much detail..... this won't work in this situation....Hence the reason I am looking into equipment for lots of large orders.   ;)

That route has been in the back of my mind for awhile now but, something has come up/changed that would make that "not a good idea"

• Like 1

If you need more specific info message me or ask around as there are a few great printers on here who have helped me. Shawn (mopar) had to overnight me a couple screens last week because the image was larger than what I could burn in house and he's a wealth of knowledge when he's not swamped with work.

If you need more specific info message me or ask around as there are a few great printers on here who have helped me. Shawn (mopar) had to overnight me a couple screens last week because the image was larger than what I could burn in house and he's a wealth of knowledge when he's not swamped with work.

I knew there were a couple of folks here that were big players in that area.  I hate contacting folks one on one without them suggesting it.  I realize those folks are usually very busy so I decided to post this, cross my fingers and wait for their input.  Not really a big rush yet as that "phone call" has not come yet but a reliable source as told me to expect it!

From your input it appears you dabble in it maybe on a smaller scale.  What do you have?  Manual?  4 color?  2 station?  Also, what kind of output do you have like shirts per minute (just an averaged.... at a normal work pace)

I'm running a home made 1 color and the reason is all I've ever been asked for is 1 color. By the time I got my dryer set up just right I started running 50-60 prints an hour by myself but have run higher but the risk of scorching is just too great with my setup. I did a job for an event last weekend that ended up being around 425 shirts printed front and back and the back print was 12x14 which was just to big for me to burn here so I farmed that part out. Waiting on UPS right now so I can knock out 3 dz. for tomorrow  as well as 38 dye subbed for another order also due tomorrow. I'm not a big player yet but I never back down form a challenge and already have my eye on a 4 color 2 station for the next decent size job.

• Like 1

IF you run a conveyor dryer your production would be higher than mine for sure because my dryer is my weak link right now.

I saw an automatic (6 color 8 station I think) here on craigs list for 6 grand.  Not sure if I need all that which is what sparked the question.  I do know here I will need multi color.... I just don't know how many to go.  I was thinking 4 to 6.  Not that they would be needed on every job, but there may be a few over time.  Is there a guidline for station numbers?  What does one consider for how many stations they need?  Can one person keep up with 8?  Maybe a little 4 color 4 station?  Ugh.... new adventures are mentally draining!

Do not even consider a auto until you are in the thousands of shirts a day, every day. You and easily run 2 or three presses and still crank out 2000 plus shirts a day if you need. if doing small orders like your talking just get a small press like a 6 x 4. that will run almost everything you could need. 

• Like 2

Do not even consider a auto until you are in the thousands of shirts a day, every day. You and easily run 2 or three presses and still crank out 2000 plus shirts a day if you need. if doing small orders like your talking just get a small press like a 6 x 4. that will run almost everything you could need. 

Thanks mopar!! Thanks for some hard numbers and info.  That is some of what I was looking for!

Pretty experienced Screen Printer here.. Mopar is 100% correct autos are too much machine for most operations. 6x4 is a great starter press- make sure you get a solid machine though, I can speak from expereince here paying the extra couple thousand is very worth it. Make sure it has micro adjustments and can handle larger screens (if you plan on getting into all overprinting) Spend the money on a solid exposure unit as well screen exposure is where at least half of the problems you will have printing come from. Halagen is the way to go imo but Ive heard good things about the new LED units hitting the markets. If you plan on doing any waterbase or discharge printing be sure to get a dryer with at least a 6ft tunnel.

Depending on how you do it and how much time you have to seek out used equipment you may be able to get away spending 15-20k on a solid pro entry level set up obviously it can be done significantly less my first set up cost about 2k before I bought a belt dryer which was almost almost 8k itself.