Sign in to follow this  
jessefisher4

full color opinion

I've been making shirts with my heat press and siser. I'm loving it and having great results. I would like to add a full color option. I was wondering if those of you with more experience could offer your opinions on which way to go? Dye inks, pigments, or maybe a laser printer paired with self weeding paper? And thoughts?

Thanks for your input in advance!

I was in your boat not too long ago.. I just bought a workforce 7010 with pigment ink and a ciss system. To go with that, I bought transfer paper for both dark and light garments and love it! Super easy and good quality. I still need a few things but will not be looking back. Still use easyweed once in a while. Haven't done to many orders full color yet.

Dye inks, pigments, or maybe a laser printer paired with self weeding paper? 

The only "dye inks" you want to consider for garments are the high-temp Dye Sublimation inks. Dye sublimation will only let you transfer onto 100% polyester garments, or garments woven with a 100% polyester outer layer.

If you're printing transfers like JPSS, 3G Opaque, etc., then you only want to consider pigment based inks. 

I have no experience with the laser printed self-weeding paper, but I'm sure someone on the forums can chime in with feedback...

If you get a pigment printer, spring for the large format. That's the one regret I have had. I bought an epson WF30 and can only do 8.5x11 sized stuff. I have gotten creative and can do multiple sheets at a time with the JPSS pretty good with some practice but really wish I could print on 11x17 but then my press would be pushing it at 15"x15" ...oh man it just keeps snowballing doesn't it!. 

Jet Pro Soft Stretch is the bomb for white shirts. Really awesome product. I have not been sold on the opaque (for dark shirts) transfers, of any brand. They feel like crap in my opinion. I very recently purchased a sample pack of Jetwear Dark IYA brand that I think used to be called Iron-all and it is a little better but still not as soft as I was hoping. 

• Like 1

Thanks wildgoose. I think I might be going with the WF-7520 and the cobra inks CIS system. 

I def know what you mean about snowballing! I have this forum to thank for spend a lot of my money! haha

• Like 1

I think I might be going with the WF-7520 and the cobra inks CIS system. 

Good choices!

I went with an Epson WF 7510 only because it was cheaper than the 7520 the only difference is 2 trays and it automatically flips your pages for double sided printing. I didn't go and get a CIS for it as of yet I'm slowly buying parts even though Cobra has a kit. I however do have a cobra CIS for my Epson 7010 that I use for sublimation and love it. I have printed many jobs with the opaque and Pigment ink without any issues. Just be careful with overfilling, make sure everything is together tight and all the pieces are connected somewhere between cobra shipping and me getting the system parts fell off and one of the tanks fell off. they had ink in them onto the living room floor.

Yikes that's never good. Thanks for the tip on the 7510! Seems like a better option. Always need to save money since I will probably see you guys talking about something else next week that I will want to buy haha

If you get a pigment printer, spring for the large format. That's the one regret I have had. I bought an epson WF30 and can only do 8.5x11 sized stuff. I have gotten creative and can do multiple sheets at a time with the JPSS pretty good with some practice but really wish I could print on 11x17 but then my press would be pushing it at 15"x15" ...oh man it just keeps snowballing doesn't it!. 

Jet Pro Soft Stretch is the bomb for white shirts. Really awesome product. I have not been sold on the opaque (for dark shirts) transfers, of any brand. They feel like crap in my opinion. I very recently purchased a sample pack of Jetwear Dark IYA brand that I think used to be called Iron-all and it is a little better but still not as soft as I was hoping. 

Couldn't agree more.  A CIS Pigment printer (shoutout for cobraink) is a FINE investment.  The bang for your buck on that purchase will be hard to beat.  DO NOT buy one that can't print up to 13" wide... you will outgrow it fast.

JPSS is super awesome for whites, but I sell about 10% whites compared to colors.... so take that into consideration.  I'm not saying not to go that route, just don't be surprised when 9/10 orders are for darks / colors..... which leads me to the uglier side of this...

Yes, 3G does feel like crap.  It is thick, plasticky(SP?) feeling on the shirt.  Not at all a 'normal' feel.  I still sell a lot of them but when i pitch that option to customers with a shirt to show them as a demo - it's a 50/50 chance they will like or hate the feel of 3G... so don't get in the mindset that you will sell a million 3G shirts, you just won't.  

3G does look very good though.  So if you can stand the feel of it... you'll like it.  And back to jpss, the feel (or hand) of that product is basically the same as screen print - so that is super nice.  The colors just don't pop 'as' hard as they do on 3G though.  But they are servicable.  

I have several 3G and Jpss shirts that I have done for myself and wear, wash, wear, abuse, repeat - and they all hold up very nicely.  

edit:

and lastly, hopefully you have a cutter that will contour cut...

I have the opposite sales than show and go (mainly whites here) but the reason I sell so many whites vs. colors is more due to cost than the feel of the transfer. I actually have 2 customers who get 3G on white shirts because the like how much more vibrant the colors are than 3G.