gcextreme

Transparent Vinyl

Im looking at getting some transparent vinyl, from US Cutter, ORACAL 8300 Transparent Calendered Vinyl 24" x 10 Yard Roll.

First, i just assume my Graphtech should cut it??

Next, how well does it apply? 

I am looking at doing something for my back window on my truck and topper, and how well its visible to still see thru it, as opposed to my regular 651 vinyl i have on there now.

Also, is the transparent stuff still able to be done in layers???

Anyone have any work examples to show and share??

Thanks

• Like 1

If you layer transparent vinyls, you'll end up adding colors - red & yellow makes orange, yellow and blue makes green, etc. Layering multiple colors will also darken the design and make it more difficult to see without adequate back light.

You will also reduce the readability of text when using transparent vs. opaque vinyls as the light passes through rather than reflects back to the viewer's eye.

Traditionally transparent vinyls are for backlit signs or replicating stained glass looks...

Printed window perf is the preferred method for window art that you want to see through...

Actually, since you're talking about filtered light there's the chance that no light would pass through a double layer. For example, if you have a red layer, all but red light is filtered, now if you have a green layer on top of that all but green is filtered. Since only red light is making it to the green layer, no light will be passed through. That's the theory anyway, in reality some light will pass through, but not much.

Like OW said, I don't think I would count on being able to see through it, at least not real well. If you put it on a backlit sign it shows up at night with a glow from the lights behind it. 

Ok cool..thanks..that give me more ideas.

Is this stuff hard on blades like the metallic stuff?