JessXEmoji

Multi color decals.

I want to get into multi color decals. I tried a couple yesterday and hard a hard time seeing the reg marks with the app tape. Does everyone use clear app tape for multi colors?

It depends on the size. If they are small, I will use clear and just eyeball it.

For larger decals I've been using a + and making it about 3/4" in size. I'll cut the middle out of the top layer so I can see the + below.

Get or make a light box.....youll never regret it. I dont ever use registration marks, no need.

• Like 2

In my experience, most definitely. I hate clear tape. Used it a few times and threw the rest of roll away. Ive done up to 4 color decals with no registration marks using my light box. Im about to build a table that is all light box.

• Like 1

In my experience, most definitely. I hate clear tape. Used it a few times and threw the rest of roll away. Ive done up to 4 color decals with no registration marks using my light box. Im about to build a table that is all light box.

Is there a video of how to layer with a lightbox somewhere?

Youd have to search but its pretty self explanatory I would think, if you have done any vinyl before.

EDIT: That wasnt meant rude. Didnt know how to word it cause the question kinda threw me for someone advertising wraps. I would think layering decals would be a breeze for someone who can do that. LOL I want to get into them but they scare me a bit.

• Like 1

Youd have to search but its pretty self explanatory I would think, if you have done any vinyl before.

EDIT: That wasnt meant rude. Didnt know how to word it cause the question kinda threw me for someone advertising wraps. I would think layering decals would be a breeze for someone who can do that. LOL I want to get into them but they scare me a bit.

It's cool.

With the color wraps I do I don't layer anything.  

My problem is when I have a solid black outline that you're placing Red lettering on top of.  The black blocks the light so that you can't see how to center the red on top of the black. 

If the letters were cut out of the center of theblack then that'd be easy with a light box but how do you do it when it's red on top of solid black?

Crap. I done bought a roll of clear tape. Think it be ok to use that roll up on small decals for customers?

I keep a couple rolls of clear around. Some applications it's kinda nice to have and most of the ladies I sell wall art to prefer to be able to see it. 

What brand of clear did you buy? I don't like the Greenstar much at all. I have a 24" wide roll I have been trying to use up ever since I got it. It tears easy, doesn't come off the vinyl very good and causes all kinds of hate and discontent. The R-Tape Clear choice is much more manageable. 

It's cool.

With the color wraps I do I don't layer anything.  

My problem is when I have a solid black outline that you're placing Red lettering on top of.  The black blocks the light so that you can't see how to center the red on top of the black. 

If the letters were cut out of the center of theblack then that'd be easy with a light box but how do you do it when it's red on top of solid black?

The way I do it is my black would be on its sheet and my red would be on its sheet and taped. I set the black one on the box, peel the backing off the red, relay the backing on it leaving about 1" exposed tape. Using the box you can line up your decals perfectly (even with black background) and smooth out the 1" exposed tape to hold it in place on the black decal backing. Then do the hinge method and squeegee the red onto the black and TADA you have your layered decal. The light box makes it much easier to see past the paper backing. I have done those colors personally and was a little hesitant till I did 1 and seen it was really easy with my light box.

If you don't have a light box and want to do it poor boy style grab a piece of parchment paper from the kitchen (my wife uses it to bake with). Lay the parchment paper on the lower layer of vinyl and then peel the backing off the top layer and flop it down on there making sure the whole vinyl is on the paper so it won't accidentally get stuck. you can pretty well see through the parchment paper similar to a light box and slide your top layer around until it's exactly where you want it then I use a piece of tape along one side just like a hinge when applying the vinyl for real and hinge the vinyl up and pull out the parchment and squeegee the top layer back down now in position on top of the lower layer. If you are doing small enough stuff you can just leave enough of the app tape along one side to skip the tape part and use the app tape as the hinge. The parchment will slip right out of there easy without having to raise the top vinyl all that far, it's great stuff!  I bumped across this application by accident last summer. 

I did a 3 layer decal the other day and I am having trouble getting bubbles out no matter how hard I try not to and also does anyone have a pic or suggestions for a homemade lightning?? Or where can u purchase?