Sign in to follow this  
joker

one more question

I have been considering getting an epson workforce printer. I have messaged some of yall and asked some questions. I have received some great feedback and looks like cobra ink is the way to go for a printer. Thanks to the ones that i messaged and gave some answers. Now to my last question. Do i need to use sublimation ink in order to do mugs and dog tags and other things or would pigment ink do the trick or is pigment ink only used for t-shirts.. any feedback is appreciated... thanks

mugs and dog tags would be sublimation - make sure you buy sublimation substrates to print on - they are polyester coated for the sublimation to work

Okay thank you for the reply Dakota. Think i might just start with the shirts then work my way up a little.

Again thank you all for your helpful advice

• Like 1

You will need high temp ink for sublimation.   If you start with pigment ink in the printer I wouldn't advise trying to switch later on to high temp to much work to change over .  You really need a pigment ink printer for shirts and a High Temp ink printer for everything in the sublimation field such as license plates, mugs, phone cases and poly shirts.

If you buy from Cobra give Richard my Name and he will give you 10% off your purchase.   Good Luck

Another tip make sure you don't let it sit or you will have clogging issues

• Like 1

Yeah MR300 i read that about the switch over and i appreciate all your helpful tips. just trying to weigh options and make the right choice on a printer for shirts. once i get going might look into sublimation down the road.. Not sure if i want to be limited to 8.5x11 or just get the wide format one.. some thinking to do and see what my wife thinks cause she is pushing for a printer...lol

Yeah MR300 i read that about the switch over and i appreciate all your helpful tips. just trying to weigh options and make the right choice on a printer for shirts. once i get going might look into sublimation down the road.. Not sure if i want to be limited to 8.5x11 or just get the wide format one.. some thinking to do and see what my wife thinks cause she is pushing for a printer...lol

If you're not sure, go to Conde's site and look at their huge selection of blanks and look at which ones are a good fit for your business.  Then look at the description for each item and look to see how big the "printable area" is - if any of the items you want to make are larger than 8x10.5", then you'll want bigger than a letter sized printer.

You'll also need a heat press at least as big as your printer.  I started with a 13x19" printer and a smaller heat press.  Upgraded to a 16x20" press so I could take full advantage of my printer as there were larger items I wanted to make but couldn't press.

The cost difference between a letter and Super B size printer isn't that great (maybe $100-150), but the cost difference between a small and large heat press can be a lot more...

• Like 1

I started with the pigment setup for shirt transfers and bought sublimation later on but I would be lost if I didn't still have the pigment setup but if costs allow I'd go with an 11x17 print area for pigment to allow for larger transfers. On the sublimation side 99.9% of what I do fits within a legal size (8.5x14) printers capacity but it really depends on where you focus your selling efforts. For us t-shirts have become our cash crop and outsell everything else we do.