I just sold a job for some interior signage that consists of 10 letters 20" tall (bauhaus font) and I'm trying to figure a price for the. The plan is 3/4" plywood primed and painted and mounted to the wall with cleats hidden behind the letters to give them a shadow effect. I have never done this type of work before so I am at a loss as far as pricing.

if you do plan on making these I would suggest HDU or expanded PVC, even pink foam is going to be much easier to work with in shape and going to hold paint a lot better.

The plywood will match other work at the location. Had thought about foam board but I don't have time for a learning curve on this job and I priced a sheet of primed mdo and damn near fell out of my chair. Not factoring substrate what would you think of labor wise say with mdo or plywood.

what kind of finishing is that mean are they a rough what are they rustic looking? are they stained and clear coated? prime painted polished? Mounting are they going to be on standoffs about an inch off of the wall?

I would not suggest mdo unless you have a cnc. Stuff cuts harder than plywood.

10 letters that big depending on finish I would be at least 500. Finished nice and mounted if I made them well over a grand. Why not order from gemeni?

This is going to come down to time. Gemini was an option but the other stuff appears to be A/C plywood and the want to match that. Finish is going to red paint and as far as shine level it doesn't need to be any smoother than a painted sheetrock wall. My mounting system will leave the letters 3/4" off the wall for a reveal. I have used this type of mount for cabinets in the past with good results. The letters will just drop down on the cleat.

A small block will be attached at the bottom of the letters on the back to keep the spacing off the wall consistant.

post-40404-0-15927500-1383324299_thumb.j

Jay the lettering on this was 3/4 mdo all voids filled and sealed on the edges and primed and painted 2 finish coats. Used cut vinyl as the templat.

Here's where I'm at so far:

1: 1/2" plywood with a super smooth panel veneer 2 sides.

2: already cut vinyl template in reverse so I can cut from the back side with the jigsaw and reduce the risk of splinters on the face.

3: Marked for mounting holes in Corel draw and the ran the sharpie on craft paper for full size template for layout on the wall.

4: Bought a gallon of red latex paint and primer in 1. I prefer enamel  but I can't be sure the fumes will be gone in the time I have and this is going inside a grocery store so fumes are a no-no.

Anything jump out at you that I'm missing here? Doesn't help I've felt like crap the last few days so I know my thinking is not 100% (not that it ever really was anyways).

• Like 1

I was thinking that the scraps that I'm gonna use to install will be 3/4" also, just kept in from the edge so they are not visible. I have woodworking experience but not wood sign experience so I keep second guessing myself. Doesn't help they need to be installed Wednesday and I haven't cut the first pc. yet.

If you don't mind me asking what is mdo running money wise up your way? I almost fell over when I priced it down, seem crazy to charge that muck for sawdust and glue.

3/4 is about 90.00 1/2 about 70.00 I usually get the pre painted for signs but just the regular for cutting letters. I will try to post the photo from the computer where I can resize the file.

That's in line with around here. 1/2" plywood with that panel veneer and solid core (no voids) was $35. I figured the ply would be easier to cut also.

I like the mdo because of the ease of finishing. The letters arenot that bad to cut just use a fine upcut blade if you are cutting from the back another tip is you can use masking tape on the cut areas to help with tearout.

• Like 1

I was wondering if the vinyl pattern stuck down would serve a similar purpose to masking tape to hold everything in place. I can't wait to get this 1 over with so I can feel more comfortable next time someone asks about this. I plan on making a small sample to display at the store while I'm making these letters. Got to love the time line though less than a week from looking at the job to needing to be installed. He doesn't even have a price yet, just bill him when it's done, nice to deal with repeat customers.

I'll be starting on it Monday and will post some pics. I really want to learn to work with foamboard but I didn't think it would have the same feel as what was already there and if I screwed up there isn't enough time to start over.

jay here is the lettering i was refering to ............ the file was 10 times larger then the site allows i resized them. as far as pricing i tend to run a little high from the pricing i have seen on the forum i would be between $700.00 and $1000.00

post-4118-0-02437000-1383493495_thumb.jp

post-4118-0-28667700-1383493528_thumb.jp

I guess I'm disqualified since I already know what it spells. Gonna start with the jigsaw and circular tomorrow to get them into shape.

Is food all you think about? North Pizza. They've been a good customer for a while now and I do all of their signs, t-shirts, hats, etc.

• Like 1