xpaperman

Graphtec repair question

Hadn't really thought about how much "whatever" was.  I was thinking of listing it at what I paid OBO.... and see what happens.  I am not sure about UPS.... I would have to call and check their size and weight limits.  This is a 60" cutter so it is just over 5 foot long and also has a stand.  It also has some weight to it.

Def. try local but if you get sick of looking at it and my money's right I may be a player. Just got to remember I'm the guy who goes straight to the discount bins when shopping. Some people call that being cheap, actually so do I. Have you looked at a different model graphtec head to see if it uses the same internals?

I have not Jay, I would like to think when I called Graphtec support that if there was a part that would work they would have told me and made the sale.  Instead he just said the machine is discontinued and they don't have parts anymore.  It does make me wonder tho....  I wish I knew more about electronics..... in my mind there has to be an easy way to fix the "thing" that is stopping the blade from going up and down.

I have hot rodder blood running through me which is to say I build things all the time just to see if I can. Best I can tell your electromagnet coil shorted out internally and if you can find someone who dabbles in electronics they may be able to rewind it or find a comparable replacement. The people at Graphtec or anywhere else in corporate america are trained to diagnose and troubleshoot from a textbook type setup so if something falls outside of those parameters they are lost. If someone says we don't make that model then they take that as gospel that it can't be fixed. Personally I worked 4 years in an automotive salvage yard and can tell you even interchange manuals don't give the complete story and sometimes you've just got to try it to know if it will work. If you get ready to take a hit on this my offer from way back of 1/2  plus shipping still stands if you can't find another buyer and I don't offer this to insult you but this is where I feel comfortable.

Not insulted at all, I understand your position completely.  Who knows, we might end up making a deal.

It'd be the first time I knowingly bought a broken cutter. I may be going backwards here but is a broke Graphtec better than a chinese cutter? Maybe. B)

• Like 1

LOL, sounds like you really want this thing....  I was digging around on the net last night trying to find some info about another graphtec series part that might swap out with this one (I could not find anything) and came across the original add for this one where they were asking $1500.00  I am pretty sure I got a good deal if I could figure out how to fix it.... but if I pass it on to you I am sure you will end up with a hell of a deal.

I just haven't made up my mind yet if I want to sit on it or part with it.  I got to address that soon as it is taking up space and I just had something potentially huge fall in my lap today.

Your first on my list Jay!

Don't know about Graphtec's internal workings, but on the Chinese knock-offs, it's the Z-Chip that controls the head moving up and down.

Those things fry all the time on Chinese models (static is the enemy of the Z-chips, and Chinese units are prone to static build up, especially the MH Refine cutters)

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/30292-mh721-problem-blade-not-lifting-z-chip/

What you might consider is asking Graphtec if they can assist you in replacing the z-chip. Even though that specific model is discontinued, it's highly probable that the z-chips are the same even in their later/newer units, and would work.

Worth a try.

He has already done diagnostic and had power going to the head just no response from the head which means something in the carriage head itself is fried. I just keep bugging him so I can sit it in the corner and stare while asking myself what was I thinking. Kind of like the saying misery loves company but with a vinyl twist.