Andrew67

Just Starting Out

Let`s say for argument sake i`m totally new at this kind of stuff. What i`m looking for from my fellow forum members is a little guidance on the best tutorials that will help me from start to finish. Also any help and advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

My first project is to copy/Trace/Vectorize. I have looked through some of the tutorials on Youtube and there are so many, what i would like to have is the same person guide me through everything instead of switching from person to person. 

Welcome, but to start with, you need to learn that you cannot legally just copy and trace other people's work and resell it as your own.   You  must request permission from the design owner. Purchase a license, if you can..  That is copyright infringement..   You should design your own designs, to keep yourself out of trouble.  That will make your designs unique.  Anything that is on the internet, is already copyrighted by "somebody"..  and it is not legally yours to take. 

Just so this makes more sense..  the original op removed his link above.. showing that he wanted to learn to copy and vectorize  "THE PROBLEM SOLVED TEE SHIRTS".

• Like 1

Agreed with Skeeter.

What software are you using? Inkscape is a good one and its free. Watch youtube videos about converting a bitmap into a vector graphic with whatever software you are using. There are a few ways to do it. 

Someone can hold your hand and walk you through every step or you can do a bit of searching and then push some buttons and see what happens. 

This forum tends to help a lot more when the person seeking assistance actually shows effort. 

Well thank you very much Mz, i had no intention of posting anyones work and saying it is mine. This is simple a project for me to learn privately, on my own computer.

You cannot legally do this

My first project is to copy/Trace/Vectorize the Problem Solved Tee Shirts ( See link at end of message )

Wow, first time on this forum and i`m getting attacked already. " Holding my hand ", " actually showing effort ".....lmao. I could sit here and tell you how much time i have spent the past week looking into Inkscape and how to learn things but i`m not going to. They say " never be afraid to ask for help ", i guess that`s not the case here.

Thanks and have a great day !

You cannot legally do this

My first project is to copy/Trace/Vectorize the Problem Solved Tee Shirts ( See link at end of message )

Yes and where do you see post it on the web under my name ??

Andrew67....  I am a newbie as well......  You are not being attacked....  They are protecting you from threats and lawsuits.....

This group in an amazing help forum......  Enjoy....

This is a very simple task to learn on your own computer...... take your photo of yourself and trace and vectorize it.  You own your own photo.

Andrew67....  I am a newbie as well......  You are not being attacked....  They are protecting you from threats and lawsuits.....

This group in an amazing help forum......  Enjoy....

I understand the rules of copyright and posting others work. I have never done that before and never attend to. If " Holding my hand ", " actually showing effort " is being nice and helpful, well not sure what to say. There are ways of saying things to be nice and being......not nice.lol.

Thanks for looking out for me guys, i feel special.

P.S. Good luck and thanks for the heads up Smokem.

This is a very simple task to learn on your own computer...... take your photo of yourself and trace and vectorize it.  You own your own photo

Good idea Mz, i will do that, thanks.

Even using inkscape.org to vectorize your photo, it takes pushing different buttons to get the "just right"  cuttable image.  And even then, you will most likely have to clean up the nodes, to have a good cuttable image.  No two designs will be the same. All the really basic info is already out there many, many times and also in this forum already. Under the inkscape thread. 

Problem solved.......get it......the link, my project, now it`s gone........lol.... aww well.

you will need to take the time to learn the vector software to make images to cut on your own - if  you do not have the time to learn how to do this hire someone like excaliburcreations to do it for you.  this is not like just picking a picture and hitting print.  if you are looking for a private tutor I am sure someone from you area will be glad to do it for several hundred dollars.   

I noticed in your other thread you said this was for a buisiness venture and this one you say private use . . . 

Im sorry if you thought I was attacking you but when you say you want someone to guide me through everything sounds like you want someone to hold your hand. 

If you actually tried to vectorize "your project" you'd see it could be done in 3 steps. And take all of 10 seconds. And there are countless tutorials online on how exactly to do everything you can imagine. Thats why I say show and effort, even if it looks nothing like you want it to look, people will help you.

You still haven't said what program you are using to convert your images. How is one going to guide you through everything? Every program is different. 

We are here to help you I promise.

you will need to take the time to learn the vector software to make images to cut on your own - if  you do not have the time to learn how to do this hire someone like excaliburcreations to do it for you.  this is not like just picking a picture and hitting print.  if you are looking for a private tutor I am sure someone from you area will be glad to do it for several hundred dollars.   

I noticed in your other thread you said this was for a buisiness venture and this one you say private use . . . 

The final out come is to join a active business, my project is to learn my way around Inkscape and create things privately.

Im sorry if you thought I was attacking you but when you say you want someone to guide me through everything sounds like you want someone to hold your hand. 

If you actually tried to vectorize "your project" you'd see it could be done in 3 steps. And take all of 10 seconds. And there are countless tutorials online on how exactly to do everything you can imagine. Thats why I say show and effort, even if it looks nothing like you want it to look, people will help you.

You still haven't said what program you are using to convert your images. How is one going to guide you through everything? Every program is different. 

We are here to help you I promise.

What i meant by guide me through everything is where and what to start learning first and so on. I will do the work myself as it`s the only way to learn.

I am using Inkscape.

That is correct dakota.

I`m sorry if i did not word everything correct and there was some misunderstanding. I`m sure everyone is willing to help and i do appreciate it.

The best way to get your feet wet converting images is to find some simple clip art and import the image into inkscape(copy paste works as well) and then use the trace bitmap option and use brightness cutoff(the first selection) and adjust you have to adjust the threshold until it looks right. Watch some tutorials on youtube and youll be making vectors in no time. 

• Like 1

Yes, that is what I read also, at the very beginning..

"I have played with programs such as Photoscape but this is my first time using Inkscape. I have a chance to be part of a great upcoming graphic signs & custom apparel company, the catch is i have to learn everything i can about Inkscape."

• Like 1

The final out come is to join a active business, my project is to learn my way around Inkscape and create things privately.

What i meant by guide me through everything is where and what to start learning first and so on. I will do the work myself as it`s the only way to learn.

You will have to learn the software before you can join a business - it is not an overnight event - you have entered a different world than raster graphics and the only way to get experience and learn is to jump in.  I have 3 tutorials i am working on  - still learning much after 7 years.

• Like 4

This reminds me of a job I once obtained, years ago.

It was for a big publishing/printing company, and they wanted someone capable of using QuarkXPress (on macs).

I figured, hey, how hard can this be, and read the book "Macs for Dummies" by David Pogue, which had a chapter covering the basics of Quark. With that limited info in my head, I applied for the position and by demonstrating my "proficiency" they hired me.

Of course, within two weeks, the managers at the company realized I didn't know jack.

• Like 1