sanantoniodetail

oracal 951

has any one had any experience with oracal 951?

i just purchased 2 yards of it, since it was available locally. 

when comparing it to oracal 651, the 951 is more flexable and more "soft", it is thinner as well. it is more glossy. 

here is the issue:

when you brush anything against it , it leaves an imprint in the vinyl. when it goes threw the pinch rollers (on my sc cutter) it leaves marks. i have to be careful where i put my pinch rollers or else it will imprint the diamond pattern in the vinyl from underneath.

when i pull my finger nail across it it leaves a permanent imprint in the vinyl.  

651 may be superior to 915 due to the fact that all these things i mentioned above do NOT happen with 615. 915 seems to be extremely sensitive. 

My rollers leave an imprint on every piece of vinyl I cut with exception of Siser EasyWeed. Maybe my pressures are too high on there?

I personally have no researched the engineering differences between 651 and 951 but from what I have seen in the past from cutting both and duration of both.. The 951 may be a more "sensitive" vinyl, yes; But will last far longer on an outdoor application/durability setting. Just from what I have seen.

But.. It is quite expensive indeed!

I do, I use 951 most of the time.  It is Oracal's top of the line cast vinyl.  It conforms to compound curves, has the longest outdoor life (10 to 12 years) and doesn't shrink.   651 is Oracal's top of the line calendered vinyl  It is less expensive,  .5mil thicker, is intended for a flatter surface and has a 4 to 6 year outdoor life. 

They are manufactured by two completely different processes.  Cast is just what it is called , it's poured out on a tray and left to set so there's no memory or tension.  On the other hand calendered vinyl is rolled out like a pie crust.  It's stretched into it's width and length so it tries to return to a smaller size.    

My plotter leaves marks on all vinyl where the pinch rollers ride, even paper I run through to draw out a design.  

lol dakotagrafx I was typing that exact response!

You cant compare 651 and 951. Two completely different vinyls.  Read through that link and you'll see.

Ive never used 951 but I have used 751, its cheaper brother. And 751 is amazing to work with. I can only imagine 951 being even better. I use primarily 651 but I really should start slowly switching my inventory over to 751. Cast is the way to go.

• Like 1

Coaster36,

Florida Graphics sells 951 by the yard in 15" and 24" widths,  that helps if you have a small job in an odd color you'll probably not use again.