Sign in to follow this  
rebel works

Following nodes when cutting

Hi!

We own a metal sign business and have gotten into the vinyl side of it.  I got my cutter about a week ago and its been cutinng great on the stuff that I either do myself or bring in from other sources.  We use alot of DXF files for our plasma table and would like to use those on our cutter.  I can get it to cut them out in SCAL but its following the nodes..like to may pierce points and it makes the decal sloppy..especially text.  I take the dxf file and put it in inkscape convert it to svg and open in SCAL.  Like i said it cuts it out in SCAL but it almost destroys the text because of the nodes it is following.  I have tried everything i can think of to correct this problem.  Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I added a pic. I am hoping you can see it well enough what I am talking about.

post-36663-0-41609100-1360687391_thumb.j

That is a common problem with .dxf files. It wants to break them up into little line segments instead of arcs and curves. I have not found a good workaround.

I use Illustrator with an add-on called Concatenate that I bought just for that purpose. I don't know if they make a plug in for Inkscape. The problem is it will connect all the segments but the images still have a bazillion nodes so you have to use another filter and simplify the paths. Its a PIA. .dxf files are structured around splines rather than curves. Not too cutter friendly. You might have about as good of luck saving them as a jpg and just tracing them out.

Do you have options other than .dxf that you can save to? Can you save as a .pdf?