RUSTYB

HELP PLEASE

Ok, every time I import a simple drawing into inkskape trace it then save as a eps file, then open it to cut in signblazer to cut, the image is still to messed up to cut. I use node edit and it shows multiple lines everywhere.

Any help would be appreciated, fyi I only do this time to time for family and friends.

Simply explain to your family and friends that you don't know what you're doing, so it may take you a few months to get it right. Real honesty is like a magic dust. It seems to calm everyone, and provide new answers. Try it, you'll like it!

If you're in a hurry, I sell Magic Honesty Dust on Amazon for $20 a gram.

Simply explain to your family and friends that you don't know what you're doing, so it may take you a few months to get it right. Real honesty is like a magic dust. It seems to calm everyone, and provide new answers. Try it, you'll like it!

If you're in a hurry, I sell Magic Honesty Dust on Amazon for $20 a gram.

huh?

I hope he does not take your advice about explaining he does not know what he is doing ............. Most of if not everybody everybody on the planet would spend precious time explaining that instead of living & learning what they want to . That is my take on this thread , a member is asking why something is not working for them ... not enough info given to say they don't know what they are doing IMO . Your comments remind me of the old saying " backhanded compliment " .

• Like 1

We need more to work with. We have to see what your doing to figure out the problem. By just saying, I put a picture in inkscape and it turns into jibberish isnt enough to work with. You dont need expensive programs, I do ALL my graphics with inkscape. Its more then capable to do vinyl graphics. From what it sounds, your using the wrong trace bitmap option. If your using just a black and white photo, you should use brightness cuttoff, the first option. And youll have to play with the threshold to get the best vector from your image, no two images are the same, so you have to play with the threshold each time.

Give us something to work with. 

First, let me start by thanking everybody who actually is trying to help me.

I put the fyi in their to state that I don't do this professionally so I do not possess expensive programs, just the ones I stated.

Know for my problem, when I put a picture, photo ect. In the inkskape it works fine, but when I put a simple black and white drawing in inkskape I have problems, no matter how many times I scan it (layers), I have less work if I put it in signblaser and vectorize it.

I'm trying to accomplish it has simple as possible, does this mean I'm doing something wrong or missing a step or do I really need a expensive program to accomplish what I'm trying do?

Rusty - ******EDIT*********       I don't use inkscape but would guess you are getting multiple layers for different colors and that is why you have the multiple lines.  

I think you may fine this thread helpful  http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/12189-how-to-video-simple-vectorize-in-inkscape/

We need more to work with. We have to see what your doing to figure out the problem. By just saying, I put a picture in inkscape and it turns into jibberish isnt enough to work with. You dont need expensive programs, I do ALL my graphics with inkscape. Its more then capable to do vinyl graphics. From what it sounds, your using the wrong trace bitmap option. If your using just a black and white photo, you should use brightness cuttoff, the first option. And youll have to play with the threshold to get the best vector from your image, no two images are the same, so you have to play with the threshold each time.

Give us something to work with. 

K, i tried this and it was alot better, the lines where not doubled up, but they where also not straight.   when i cut the pic. it looked like i did it free hand with a razor.  :-\

Well the picture you posted doesnt have multiple layers, looks like you got that fixed. The problem with the bad cut is all the nodes in your picture. If you click the second box down on the left(edit path by nodes) and select your picture, a whole bunch of little squares pop up. Those are nodes. You have way to many of them. Any time there is a node your blade will change directions, for the most part. 

When you do a trace bitmap, you have to adjust your threshold until you get good results. I make at least 10 traces when I convert something. Each trace has a different threshold. I make some traces and then check with the node edit tool and see how they look. Another good tool to use is the VIEW>DISPLAY MODE>OUTLINE. This removes all the fills and effects and just shows a wire frame of the image. Very very useful. Always check in outline before you send it to the cutter.

Rusty,

I unmasked your EPS file and then compounded and came up with this on my screen.  I don't think there is a complete path for the blade to cut.

I also added a jpg of the nodes and a blown up section of the front end and wheel showing you the path the blade is trying to cut

Like Coaster36 said I think you are going to have to edit the nodes. 

Is this a pencil drawing that was scanned into the computer?  The reason I ask id because A pencil doesn't draw a solid line, It leaves holes where the paper shows through.  This causes the little holes and jagged lines you see in the enlarged picture I posted.  

post-24657-0-79009200-1355668148_thumb.j

post-24657-0-60228100-1355668521_thumb.j

post-24657-0-48437900-1355669356_thumb.j

• Like 1

Good call Doug. 

Try tracing the picture with a sharpie and then scan it again. That would be much easier then fixing the file. 

That's what I suspected,  every fleck of pencil lead or spec of dirt was picked up by the scanner and then vectorized.  You can try to add a little blur to the scanned picture and re-vectorize it.  If that doesn't work you will have to redraw it using something that draws a solid line like a sharpie

I tried one time to scan in a tiki mask that a client drew with a pencil for a window decal and I couldn't get it to cut either.  I would have had to spend hours editing the nodes.  I ended up finding something else to use for him. 

Good call Doug. 

Try tracing the picture with a sharpie and then scan it again. That would be much easier then fixing the file. 

I'll bet that the cutter was going crazy trying to follow the paths.  Not only that the vinyl was lifting off of the backing liner and getting stuck back down on the decal. 

Im sure it was going crazy. 

My cutter would have said hell no and spit all the vinyl onto the floor if I loaded that.