Dbannon

Time limit for corrections?

I got a call on my cell phone from a lady who works for a customer of mine. Right off the bat, she jumps my butt about a mis-spelling I did on their sign. I did their sign over 4 months ago. When I did it, I printed a proof for the owner to check everything, and he approved it. The lady said it's embarassing for them having it mis-spelled, which I understand completely. But 4 months? Why didn't they say something after it was done? The sign is 16' in the air, and had to rent scaffolding to install it.

I decided to go ahead and correct it, but charge for fuel to get there. I'm adding on my invoices a notice that if any corrections need to be made, contact me within 60 days (30 if they sign the printed proof), after that time, the owner will be responsible for any corrections.

I will have a talk to the customer to tell him that I deal with him only, and if he needs anything, he needs to call the shop number, NOT my personal cell phone! I feel like charging for the removal and installation, just because of the B**ching out that I got!

What do you think?

Well to be honest, they did proof it, and it has been months.

I know your pain, but for business face sake, I'd go do it anyhow. Maybe she'll tell someone you came back and fixed the issue.

Maybe will generate another lead?

I know it bites, and when it's 16 foot up, it's even worse.

Like I said though, I'd eat it just for face sake.

Good idea putting it in your paperwork :thumbsup:

That's my opinion though, yours may differ.

Hope this helps, and hated you had to go do it again! dry.gif

I do alot of reprinting to save face even when it's the customers fault..I would redo the sign but would charge for the rent of the scaffolding and fuel as you said...I would make sure the redo of the sign I took care of but not the other...

A signed proof is a contract that its right...I would let them know that before redoing the sign...They should understand they approved your art work before starting the project..So they need to take some responsibility for partial cost...I mean h*** it's been 4 months!!

Good luck

stetson5331

my 2 cents , I would only deal with who hired me 1rst of all . I have told people the same thing RIGHT away !!! . I would do as ASH & Stet also . General rule is make somebody happy & they will tell a couple people .. make them mad & they will tell everybody . A business investment to save face as ASH & Stet said :thumbsup: . Depending on the cost of the lift , I might try to get them to pay for that . What I would do & how would depend on how the customer themself acted & talked . It must not be that noticable & some people mispell etc just to get attention . Business wise , you don't have to do anything ... it ias just a matter of how great of customer service you want to give & develop your reputation . Think about this .. can you repair the sign with a section to cover the spelling . so you don't have to take down the sign ? I would not give 60 or 30 days if giving any time at all. Once installed , it doesn't matter if the next day as far as effort & cost to repair/replace . Reminds me of business cards . they make me check a box stating I accept the spelling etc .

I went ahead and corrected it for him and let him know that I didn't appreciate his worker jumping my butt. I also gave him another business card and told him to call this number, not the cell phone. Always a learning process. But I am putting the 60 day notice on my invoices to keep it from happening again. Thanks for the feedback.

I went ahead and corrected it for him and let him know that I didn't appreciate his worker jumping my butt. I also gave him another business card and told him to call this number, not the cell phone. Always a learning process. But I am putting the 60 day notice on my invoices to keep it from happening again. Thanks for the feedback.

Good job! :thumbsup:

When a problem comes up you have to decide whether in the long run it will be better for your business to fix it or ignore it (despite any terms you have or who is right or wrong).....I am of the belief that dis-satisfied clients can cause a lot of harm to a business so unless they really piss me off, I usually do what I can do to make it right....Even if that means I have to bite my tongue as I do the remedial work....

here's what we did when I had my upholstery shop...after a customer insisted we put the wrong material on a chair:

Print up a work order with the PROOF on it. Have them SIGN that they approve the work.

Print at the bottom..'once approved and installed, full labor charge will apply for any corrections or changes'.

I wouldn't have touched it unless they were willing to at least compensate me for my time. In essence, you paid for their mistake....provided of course that the misspelling was theirs and not yours(you didn't say).

My guess is the reason it took 4 months is because they didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to them.

I once did a banner...shipped it...got a call from the guy that HE had mistakenly given me the wrong phone number. He was perfectly willing to pay for a new banner. And that's the way decent people handle it. Since he was so nice, I just cut a new phone number, charged him $10 and walked him through how to change it. I have since gotten quite a bit more business from him.

• Like 1

When a problem comes up you have to decide whether in the long run it will be better for your business to fix it or ignore it (despite any terms you have or who is right or wrong).....I am of the belief that dis-satisfied clients can cause a lot of harm to a business so unless they really piss me off, I usually do what I can do to make it right....Even if that means I have to bite my tongue as I do the remedial work....

an employee (flunky)and not the owner calling on my personal cell phone and jumping my ass would have been the deciding factor. Of course it might take less to piss me off than it does you.

I got a call on my cell phone from a lady who works for a customer of mine. Right off the bat, she jumps my butt about a mis-spelling I did on their sign. I did their sign over 4 months ago. When I did it, I printed a proof for the owner to check everything, and he approved it....

I'm sure you are aware this lady could just as easily spend the future telling others about their sign guy that didn't know how to spell and how she didn't let him get away with his mistake. Which in my opinion would not be a recommendation. I believe one should present a printed proof for prior approval with language stating the client is accepting content as presented. Then if a sign maker chooses to make a correction at no charge, the client is certain to know you went above and beyond. If one is willing to warranty in writing a correction for 30 or 60 days; if I were a client, I'd question why not 120 days?

Quite some years ago our father opened a business that had signage suppied by a local soft drink bottler. One half of the sign was hung upside down. Father was astute enough to contact the local paper and they subsequently ran a photo with caption implying the sign guy most certainly must have been distracted while up in the bucket; by a pair of legs in the parking lot. The bottler was back out ASAP to correct the error at their insistance.

I'm sure by now most have heard of the South Bend Pubic School billboard fiasco, mistakes can and will be made by everyone.

she could just as easily be telling people about the mistake without mentioning that he corrected it. From what the guy said she was a real ______ and people like that love to make other people look bad.

• Like 1

here's what we did when I had my upholstery shop...after a customer insisted we put the wrong material on a chair:

Print up a work order with the PROOF on it. Have them SIGN that they approve the work.

Print at the bottom..'once approved and installed, full labor charge will apply for any corrections or changes'.

I wouldn't have touched it unless they were willing to at least compensate me for my time. In essence, you paid for their mistake....provided of course that the misspelling was theirs and not yours(you didn't say).

My guess is the reason it took 4 months is because they didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to them.

I once did a banner...shipped it...got a call from the guy that HE had mistakenly given me the wrong phone number. He was perfectly willing to pay for a new banner. And that's the way decent people handle it. Since he was so nice, I just cut a new phone number, charged him $10 and walked him through how to change it. I have since gotten quite a bit more business from him.

I declare this the winning perspective . Very wise & practical :thumbsup: .

I adjust my perspective again ;)

I got a call on my cell phone from a lady who works for a customer of mine. Right off the bat, she jumps my butt about a mis-spelling I did on their sign. I did their sign over 4 months ago. When I did it, I printed a proof for the owner to check everything, and he approved it. The lady said it's embarassing for them having it mis-spelled, which I understand completely. But 4 months? Why didn't they say something after it was done? The sign is 16' in the air, and had to rent scaffolding to install it.

I decided to go ahead and correct it, but charge for fuel to get there. I'm adding on my invoices a notice that if any corrections need to be made, contact me within 60 days (30 if they sign the printed proof), after that time, the owner will be responsible for any corrections.

I will have a talk to the customer to tell him that I deal with him only, and if he needs anything, he needs to call the shop number, NOT my personal cell phone! I feel like charging for the removal and installation, just because of the B**ching out that I got!

What do you think?

Good on you for fixing this! It's my opinion that you should have fixed it, your cost. Whose spelling mistake was it, yours or theirs? If it was your mistake, I'd fix it no charge to them. If it was their mistake, I'd fix it no cost to them (you should know how to spell words better than your clients who generally want correct spellings, even if they can't spell to save their lives). You're in the word business, so it's your job to proofread (this saves you time and money too and prevents issues like these).

We can never assume customers or their representatives know the first thing about spelling or grammar.

For example, if a customer came to me with a concept which read, 'Your in good hands with X'. I'd correct their spelling and ask them if they want me to correct it on the sign (just to make sure it wasn't purposely done this way for some crazy reason). If some reason they insisted on the wrong spelling, I'd make them sign the proof and make it clear in writing that there would be no re-do without new work charges (I would also make sure my name wasn't on the product).

Now, some words are purposely misspelled because not everyone can get the domain they want or a business might have a cute name, like Carz, Spazzz, Tryckz, etc.. In that case, I'd double-check all the customer-unique spellings and have the proof be binding. I can't error-correct words which the customer made up but wants printed in a specific way anymore than I can telepathically know if they gave me the right email or phone number (other than obvious typos).

All other words should be checked and re-checked by you, the expert. I would probably also verify how caps (if applicable) are used as well as whether we're including periods and other details. All of this can be dealt with in the proof (but you should help your customers by proofreading for them, since some will definitely not know how to spell). I also think customers will love it if you catch all these mistakes and make their lives easier.

Technically, a proof is probably binding...even if the spelling mistake was your mistake or if it was the customer's mistake (and you didn't spot it or didn't say anything). Still, I think you've made the right decision in making it right on your dime. All things being equal, you want a happy client if you can help it.

As an artist, I am in the habit of not taking my customer's concepts too literally anyway. If someone gives me a rough drawing of an alien, I don't translate their crappy drawing literally into 3D...I interpret what they want, make it good and send them an idea of what I am going to do.

Likewise, if someone sends me a misspelled idea for a sign, I fix all the slop before sending a proof (but the signmaker's personal spelling ability comes into play, and this task might be easier for some than others). I might even give them ideas how to fix their grammar (if it's egregiously bad or can be worded a lot better).

• Like 1

Does SB have spell check? I never noticed, if not, that would be a great addition!

Does SB have spell check? I never noticed, if not, that would be a great addition!

If it doesn't forward it to NUK, he can do it for you hehhehee :thumbsup: