Sign in to follow this  
Toolman

First attempt with air eraser

it can be done outside with no enclosure - the enclosure just lets you work inside without the mess. compressor depends on the unit you are blasting with, the eraser uses less air that a siphon feed cabinet. some people have added a T and use a eraser in a cabinet.

here is a homemade one:

http://www.vinylforum.org/smf/sandblasting/my-homemade-cabinet/

Sorry to be a pest, but if I was looking at the Air Eraser at HF and wanted to do mugs and small stuff. What would be a good compressor to get? Electricity or gas compressor? Should I look at PSI or CFM when buying a compressor?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

I think customized mugs and such would sell like hot cakes, but I might be wrong!

Electric compressor for sure . It does not take much pressure or volume of air . I have a $100 Harbor Freight type compressor . The cabinet sand blaster is $199 on sale at HF & is the way to go IMO .

I am thinking of upgrading to a cabinet. I alreday have orders from a local conveinence store for the Friends of Coal mugs.  I am having a hard tiem finding mugs here we don't have a dollar tree. i have bought all that wally world has..

What compressor did you buy from HF?

I am looking to buy the compressor, Air Eraser, Alum Oxide within a week or two and get started. Anything else I would need or you would suggest besides a cabinent?

What cabinent is 199? I see one that is 299.

I have limited space and storage for all of this!

I have a 5hp Craftsman here in the shop  But I run impacts drills paint guns etc off of it also have a 1.5 hp Bostich it runs the air eraser just fine.. But am wanting a cabinet model later on

I have a 5hp Craftsman here in the shop  But I run impacts drills paint guns etc off of it also have a 1.5 hp Bostich it runs the air eraser just fine.. But am wanting a cabinet model later on

When you use the 1.5hp, how many items can you do before you must stop?

I would like to get something like this...Maybe a 3hp, and hook an air eraser to it...I would assume that it would be fine to start etching?

Thanks!!

I never stop with the 1.5hp it has a 3 gallon tank and keep up just fine the air reaser has a very low cfm requiremnet

I never stop with the 1.5hp it has a 3 gallon tank and keep up just fine the air reaser has a very low cfm requiremnet

I am looking at the following compressor

Tank Size (Gallons)  10

Maximum Operating Pressure (PSI) 125

Air Delivery @ 40psi - CFM 5.1

Air Delivery @ 90psi - CFM 4.2

Will I have a problem using the Air Eraser with this compressor? Should I look for something different? What is the recommended CFM?

you will be fine with that compressor for the air eraser  According to HF website the CFM 4.0

I have a similiar compressor & it runs the HF cabinet with no waiting time . I have the pressure cut back so much , I think any electric compressor would do . I have put several mugs in the cabinet & done them all without waitng on the compressor . According to the cheap pressure gauge  ( which I don't trust it's accuracy ) I am using 30 psi .

So back to being my noob self....  :thumbsup:

Has anyone got a decent way to handle the curvature of the glasses? (no not my reading glasses either  ;D)

Everytime I do any text it always gets curved ....

So far i'm just working on short bar glasses and the diff between the top and bottoms of the glass is minimal yet the text raises at least an 1/8th of an inch from center. It doesn't seem like much but it's buggin the $%^ outta me!!!  ;D and i assume it's only going to get worse on larger / more varied glass styles...

And I thank all you glass etch'n guru's in advance!

(well those of you that attempt to help! ;D)

you have to make the lettering follow the slight curve of the glass

video here

http://www.vinylforum.org/smf/sandblasting/applying-a-mask-to-various-surfaces/

Looks like video is going to be a big no the rest of the night but I'll check it out tomorrow, gave myself a few ideals like importing a template of the glass and trying that to get the arc that way...  :-

ANd thanks again!  :thumbsup:

Hey, is there a hotline i can call you on?

You got way to much info to pass up on!!

(kiddin! well about the hotline anyways! ;D)