MattS

Avery A6 or Ocacal 651

I have been getting ebay vinyl from day one and although I really like it and can't complain about it.  I am thinking I should try some real stuff.  The A6 and the 651 seem to be the most popular from what I have been reading, so I was wondering if any one of them if different from the other.  How do they cut, weed, apply, last, and all that.

Thanks

Matt

Guest fivestar

Oracal 651 is my choice.  It works the best for me.

real stuff? I get avery and oracal on ebay all the time,as well as 3m. Fir the money,FDC works just as well for most applications.

The standard down here (in Hawaii) is Oracal 651. There really is only one supply warehouse and they carry Oracal, Avery and Gerber. Oracal is the cheapest that they sell, so that's what everyone here buys.... I would love to try the more expensive stuff ... on someone else's dime of course (not holding my breath for that to happen). I think a 15" x 50 yard roll of Gerber runs over $200. OUCH!

I would love to buy vinyl from eBay, but shipping is really expensive ... unless you have sympathetic and friendly forum friends that are willing to help you out. :police:

I like that Oracal has lines on the back of the paperbacking - I don't have a giant paper cutter so everything is either by scissors or by ruler with xacto. Cheap is good, unless it's really crappy quality. I haven't been cutting long enough to figure out what sucks and what doesn't ... but I plan on cutting so that I can get more familiar with products. Until then, I absolutely rely on the wisdom of the forum  :yes:

Oracal 651 is my choice, cuts & weeds Great form, Avery & FDC good too, but like prevoius said, the grid on back of Oracal is helpful for triminng,

BTW on Oracal's website you can download there color palettes for Corel & Adobe, very useful

341 is good also,  it's like 3yr but great for indoors and temp signs

i haven't cut tons of stuff but i use Oracal 651 and 641. just by wandering message boards it seems to be the intermediate of choice, so i went with it.

I just checked and the stuff I have been using is ShineRight.  I have been having good luck with it, I guess. 

Has anyone used this and does it compare to 651?

My first vinyl i bought was ShineRite, worked okay for me but i got some oracal 651 and the rolls of shinerite are sitting in the corner incase i run out of 651, and its not much price difference. the lines on oracal make a world of differnce when trying to line the vinyl up in the machine, I have no need to try anything else at the moment, 651 gives me all i need...

Im not saying dont bye anything else like Bannerjohn will tell you he has used everything and chooses to use mainly fdc, which im sure he also knows what hes talking about...

Just see what you can get a good deal on and go from there...Ebay is where i get alot from also, just know what your getting, and fellers.com has some good deals on 651 and shinerite.... just my .02