Sign in to follow this  
Guest Terry

HOW TO, RIVETS???

Guest Terry

I still don't understand how you do trailers with rivets. I know I probably need high quality vinyl, but whats with the tennis ball trick? any pictures of what you do? I think I need a junk section with rivets to practice on? Any step by step info please?

Thank You

Terry

On most trailers those are screws not actually rivits.  Most people try to remove the screws, lay the vinyl and replace the screws.  On the trailers that actually have rivits or screws that can't be removed, you lay the vinyl over the rivits, squeegee up to them.  Then use a rivit brush or tennis ball to press the vinyl down over the rivits.  The brush or tennis ball will conform to the shape of the rivit and press your vinyl down to cover the rivits.  I've only done one trailer like this, it was a PITA to get it to look good.  Someone with more experience may be able to give you better instructions.  I took some scrap vinyl and practiced with it on the trailer rivits before I used my real vinyl cutout.  I had to do it dry too, I couldn't get wet to work at all.

I have heard that if you do take the screws out, you should have some spares in case you break them or strip out the heads trying to remove them.

Guest Terry

Thanks, I was thinking wet may not work. That was my next question.

i have done several trailers since starting my vinyl business. two additional tools that i use are a "MACTAC" squeegee and a dental pick that has one end ground to asharp point.

i have done trailers by removing the screws,  apply wet or dry as needed. be careful when squeeging the vinyl near the screw holes. Metal shards can ruin the best work. also be careful when re installing the screws. too much tightening torque can twist the vinyl around the screw. i have then touched up the screw heads with a matching color of automotive paint which adds a nice touch.

if you will be making a vinyl application over the existing screws make sure that the screws are tightly secured before you begin.  banner john or billy steered me toward the tennis ball method and i just roll the ball over the screw head with the palm of my hand, going back and forth in many directions. next i use  the mactac squeegee and starting above the rivit, slide the edge down until it makes contact with the screw head. using a rotational stroke i go 90 degrees to the left, back to the top and 90 degrees to the right. the vinyl should be secure except below the screw. using the sharp end of my dental pick i poke a small hole in the bottom of the vinyl as close as possible to the screw head. now, using the mactac squeegee and rotational strokes like before i secure the bottom section a little bit at a time, left right, left right until all of the air is gone and the vinyl is flat and secure.

sometimes a rivit brush works good, maybe heat will help, never use a twisting motion with the tennis ball.  and that's the way it is for Wednesday November 07, 2007    take care, Daniel t

Heat gun....get one.....I have rivet brush, or did I throw it in the trash?  :angry:

When applying as stated above just squegee up to the rivets, then apply heat (small amount from 15-18" away) keep moving the heat around the rivet area to avoid damage of the vinyl, (only takes a few seconds of heat per rivet)  then I finish off with the squegee going around and on top of the rivets.

I'm having alot of others doing race cars asking me how I make the vinyl go around the rivets so well....  :D

Hope this helps, Nut

i have done several trailers since starting my vinyl business. two additional tools that i use are a "MACTAC" squeegee and a dental pick that has one end ground to asharp point.

I love my mactac squeegee...for $3 it's probably the most valuable tool I own. If you don't have one,you should.

Guest Terry

I have lots of styles. I even have 2ft. ones I made.

Guest Terry

Yes I have a few felt style ones that I use right on top of the vinyl itself.

Well here goes the My biggiest Rivet seceret,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Tennis Ball  Use it use it often ...it works Perfect !

BEARDOWN

my dog sits very patiently,waiting for me to drop that tennis ball...I have lost 5 that way already.