Guest Schramm

Mockup of my new TV Stand top - Just put it all together...

Guest Schramm

Picked up a TV stand at a garage sale and it is very nice but I am going to custom paint it and make it extreamly nice...

So far I have designed the table top which will have some great colors and gold leafing and I will then epoxy the top so it will last forever.

Let me know what you think and I will shoot some before and afters as I am in the process...

post-0-12986538552562_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298653856812_thumb.jpg

Thats nice.!! Where do you get your frames and such.? I love the fonts too.

+1 on the frames... im not surprised in the quality,Your stuff always looks good  ;D:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest Schramm

That is not a frame, this design will be painted and gilded onto a table top.  I have a number of pieces of furniture that I am going to be working on.  I love taking what others consider junk and turning it into a piece of art.  All it needs is a good design and good solid bones and you can change anything from Blah to WOW.  Most furniture transformations take about 1-2 days including dry times and cost you out of pocket about $5 (thats including vinyl).  If you think out what you are doing an average painted piece (which is one of a kind) can sell for $200 - $1000 depending on what it is.  People are very use to buying commercial furniture which are all finished exactly the same and look great for about a week or so but rarely do anyone think about bring a piece into a shop to get done.  I used to have a shop like that and am trying to get one going again.  With the economy as crappy as it is right now people that already have furniture can just bring it to the shop to be done.  Simple finishes such as crackles, color washing and such will be inexpensive ($100 - $300) for something like a dresser while an large entertainment center may fetch over $1000 for the finish.  Where the real money is, is in design and speciality finishes such as the table top show above.  Now this one I am showing is for me however it will be a show piece in pictures.  I think you will get the idea once I start posting the pictures of the actual piece getting re-done.

Rob

I was talking about the black curly lnes around the text...Not the actual "frame"

looks good. cant wait to see the before, during and afters. totally interested in this.

Guest Schramm

I buy catalogs with what are called panels in them, some are just elements and others are complete panels.  I look at the furniture piece and decide what will look best and then do a multitude of measurements to assure that the design will fit the way that I want.  Once I am happy with that I do a mock up of what it will look like using pantone colors and golds, silvers and so on so I can get a feel if my idea will look good once it is done.  Once I have done that and I double check everything I start cutting.  Note I only do 1 section at a time as sometimes I feel less is more!

Rob

That's very nice, Rob.  Can't wait to see before/after pics.  If you have an opportunity to take some pics while you're in the process please share.  I think they'd be very interesting.

Good stuff.

Cody

Guest Schramm

I will do that!  Here is a pic of what will become the drawer fronts.  Me and my daughter just got done designing this, I have always wanted a TV Stand that is crazy different and this one will definatly accomplish that one!

post-0-12986538597998_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538611452_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

Honestly each and everyone of you have the ability to do this and the equipment to make it work, you just need paint knowledge and you will have it down pat.  Its not rocket science just read the labels of the paint, follow the directions and allow to semi cure before applying spray mask to it.  Much of it is common scense and the rest is waiting out the paints to dry!

Rob

Guest Schramm

Here is the beginning stages of the furniture painting.  These are pics of the stand that I am doing, the cut vinyl and the drawer fronts.  I will take pics over the next 2 days that I will be working on the top.  I have another project that I am going to be doing 2 modern dressers for our master bedroom to match our new comforter set which is black and champaign and has a damask pattern all over it.  I will take pics of that as well.

Here is the one that I am working on now:

post-0-12986538600059_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538600547_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538600942_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298653860246_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538612081_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538612267_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538612493_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538612664_thumb.jpg

So this is what that saying " TRASH TO TREASURE" means eh?

Great idea Rob (again). ;);D

I like the gold knob on the drawer front - Really pulls it together, I don't think a wooden knob would have done it justice. Looking forward to seeing the pics. As usual  ;D;);D

Guest Schramm

The knobs on this are brushed nickel, this piece is 100% wood and it is not cheaply made I just HATE blonde furniture (though I love blondes in general - woman that is).  I havent decided if I am using the knobs that are there and just gilding them or if I am going to look for something like a buffalo nickel handle and gild that.  The top has its last coats of tan and tomorrow I will be painting the black boarder and the black wording in the center and gilding the pinstripe and the fine cigars and then I will also be starting on the base.

The knobs on this are brushed nickel

Oh, I see it now, I miss understood, that's a gold dot. For some reason it looked like a gold knob to me.

(though I love blondes in general - woman that is)
  ;)

Guest Schramm

No you were right it is supposed to be the knob but I am just saying that I may search out a different knob.

Guest Schramm

Here are the knobs that I just ordered for it:

post-0-12986538605754_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538612931_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

No on this piece I am using composition gold leaf, 2-3 layers with 2-3 coats of shellac.  The reason is only because I am planning on using a resin based epoxy on the table top and I do not know how well foil will hold up under 2 part epoxies so I am playing it safe.

Rob

Guest Schramm

Here is a pic of the table top in process, it has already been primed 2 coats, painted 2 coats with FE setcoat and then the center stencil was applied as well as the outside border which in this case will be black.  I am using rustolium's waterbased int ext black paint for this as I have had really good luck with it.  Using this paint I only have to wait out 30 minutes to recoat and dries to handle in 4 hours.  I will apply a 3rd coat at about 1:30 am and then hit the sack and when I wake up it will be dry and ready to pull most of this except where I am going to have my border of gold.

post-0-12986538641273_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538641698_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538653996_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298653865425_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

Newest pics as of 8:30 am, right now I am in the beginning gilding stages of the piece.

post-0-12986538642105_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538642614_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538642982_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298653865451_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538654693_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538654915_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

Here is the gilded table top

post-0-12986538643571_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298653864393_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538644274_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986538644639_thumb.jpg