haumana

homemade jerky??

Good Morning

My wife and I make our own jerky at home

I use a rump roast for meat

I baught a oyster meat slicer for under $60.00

I don't know the dry seasoning we use will have to send when I get home.

We slice the beef 16lbs. 14" thick

put into large tupperware bowl mix seasoning and let sit for 48hrs.

seasoning sokes through meat.

we have two 7 shelves dehydraters 3 to 3.5 hrs for each batch(rotate shelves

after 1.75 hrs)

Last year we made 80 lbs of jerky

After slicing meat trim all fat and grissle from meat for best results.

Ckeck with your local meat counter for premixed dry seasoning.

They normaly stock local favorites

Darrell

I Know...we should all make some Yummie Jerky and send it to Haumana (ok, you too Levi) and Haumana, when you get all the jerky you (and Levi ;)) Can taste test them to see which is the better Jerky...How bout' that?  You gotta mark them though cause I am sure you will get oodles of them!  Who's in?  And remember....HOMEMADE ONLY!!!

Dazzel

well i may just have to stop by cash and carry tomorrow to pick up a package of meat. this thread has got me craving some jerky as well. haven't made any in a while. the bbqguru's recipes are complicated and drawn out. my recipe is simple and quick with excellent results. stay posted levi.

bb

I Know...we should all make some Yummie Jerky and send it to Haumana (ok, you too Levi) and Haumana, when you get all the jerky you (and Levi Cheesy) Can taste test them to see which is the better Jerky...How bout' that?

OHHHH yeah you guys rock. I will pay you both for as much jerky as you can spare! I love the stuff, don't really have a setup to make it myself, and really don't care for the store but stuff much.

I didn't make it to gun/ammo or the grocery store to buy seasoning or the commercially made stuff. ARGH!

The little voice in my head keeps on saying, "Gotta get some jerky, gotta get some jerky, gotta get some jerky..." Hahahahaha.

Darrell - thanks for the heads up on your methods. Yah, the shabu shabu and sukiyaki meat would definitely be too thin.

MMMMmmmmmm .....Jerky ..... MMMMmmmmmmm.  :huh:

It there a particular cut of beef I should buy to make the jerky?

I like eating ribeye,but I don't know if that would make the best jerky. And is it bad to buy the marked down, "going to expire today" meat?

Hey H ,

From what experience I have watching & eating deer jerky my Mom makes , It is a waste of money buying expensive stuff & clearance stuff is fine . I can't tell any difference in the jerky that was made from different parts of the body , so what " cut " it is doesn't matter after you get it cut up . Some like the hamburger jerky because of more fat & hence not as tough ( I think that is very close to Slim Jim brand jerky ) . Lean meat is tough , but that is what i like . I actually think you could make jerky out of cardboard & with all the spices it would taste good . I killed an Emu & gave it to a buddies " Game " cook out . It had so much spice , I could not tell if the Emu had any particular taste .

See Rodger, I like the tough stuff too and that's what I am used to, so when you all mentioned "Hambueeerger" (trying to say it like Steve Martin in "Pink Panther") It just threw me for a LOOP! Tougher the better I always say, if your gonna eat the Hambueeerger type jerky ya might as well eat a Hambueeerger and season it with smoky flavor.....YUMMMM! No Offense anyone  ;D

Gonna go have some Wine now  :huh:

Any kind of steak or roast would be good.  We've done all of those.  As long as it's not super fatty.

Never tried ground beef, but with the prior post, makes me want to try it!

Rump roast is cheap and easy to trim not much fat.

The more chewier you want it the longer you dehidrate it.

The dehidrater cooks it as well as dehidrates it.

My dehidrater runs at aroun d 180 degrees when running

Darrell

Just picked up a 5.5lb bottom round at Sams Club. In to the freezer for about 1.5 hours and then I will slice it.  :huh:

I have not decided, smoke or dehydrate........

Jon

We have free natural gas at my farm , so we use the oven . I would use the oven even if electric before buying a dehydrator UNLESS I was making alot of jerky .

ok , We make Hamburger Jerky, we make roast sliced Jerky, we make hot dogs, frankfurters, and also wild rice brats, polish and italian brats,, we also make our own bologna, and summer sausauge,,

The hamburger jerky we have a Jerky cannon, made of stainless, that we shoot the slim jim beer sticks thru or flat jerky slabs. It is kinda like a big caulk gun,,

We either cook in oven and then to the smoker it goes, or dehydrate, ..

all the hotdogs and brats, are smoked on a propane smoker with apple, cherry and maple. wood.

we also make our own breakfast sausage,, .

We harvest 8 whitetail, and alot goes into the above...

I love jerky too....

HI MMM ,

There was a 800 lb horse killed about 5 miles from my farm by 2 mountain lions . Since most

of my Horses & Donkeys are 250 lbs , I am worried . I know they are protected & nobody is allowed to kill them unless they are attacking livestock at that moment . Do you have them around you & do you know of a way to " deal  " with them ?

Rodger

You guys are all jerky gods! I hope to learn if you are willing to teach  :P

I cheated and bought some pre-marinated meat at the grocery store :P  I suspect it's the very last step the grocery store takes to sell their meat (fresh -> discount -> marinade to hide the grey).

I didn't buy too much since I wouldn't know how it would turn out. I wasn't successful in finding a dehydrator (sigh). So I only bought a small tray and stuck it into my small convection toaster oven. Hopefully I'll have decent results. If not, the dogs will have some pretty tasty treats coming to them  ;D

BTW - I was wandering around K-Mart looking for a dehydrator when Ken (Imes) called me to complete my sales order. He said that he'd be a willing recipient of any kind of sunshine and jerky if anyone cares to share it with him (you can send it to the US Cutter offices). I told him that I didn't know about the sunshine, but I could certainly help out on the jerky part  ;D  So if any of you folks feel charitable, Ken will take jerky!  :huh:

Okay, the lions taking down a horse ... that is just scary. Make sure you save your ass(es) Rodger! Although, if you do need to use deadly force on exotic game, do you think you could make jerky out of them  :) Gotta ask, you know?  ;D

I'm sooo stoked about trying jerky. I hope it doesn't take me too long to learn the best recipe and method for my tastes. I'd better go and see how my stuff is doing in the toaster oven  ;D

HI H , That is GOOD , I'm always the 1 cracking the jokes about my Donkeys ( ASS es  ;D ) !

I don't know why this country does not eat bigger carnivors . There are many food animals that will eat meat ( pigs , chickens will eat meant when they get the chance ) but fish is the only large thing that eats meat that is a regular on a menu . HMMM cougar jerky ..... :huh:

Guest Terry

Venison............. all the time, reminds me I gotta send crazy lady some, I forgot. :huh:

Okay, so the meat has been in there for several hours now. All the surface moisture is gone but it's still soft. I'm going to cool it and bag it.

What I would like to know is if it is safe to eat. I started it off at 150F, but it didn't seem to really make any head way after an hour and a half, so I upped it to 200F and turned on the convection. The meat was about 1/4" thick (more or less).

I have a bunch more meat marinading overnight and will give it a go tomorrow too. Should I dry it out in the oven or the kamado (big green egg)? I can control the temp on the oven much better, but I'm not fond of the electrical I'm bound to receive for me efforts  :huh:  What's recommended here? Any suggestions, always welcomed!

ya got me stumped ;D...I fell over my toung telling you about Hamberger meat :huh: LOL

I use a bottom rump roast (long and stringy cut ) and marinate  with Mr Yoshitas Gormet Sause and a little liquid smoke overnight in seal-a-meal vac bags (ziploc will work too). and then to the dehydrator for a couple of hours. Can't beat the savings either if you eat a lot of jerky.

I need to run out and get me a dehydrator! Okay, for those out there with a dehydrator, what do y'all have and would you recommend it?  I can't really seem to a food dehydrator in any of my local stores, so eBay (or Amazon) it will be. Any one have any suggestions or recommendations?

Make sure it has a circulation fan .  I have two.... 1 with a fan and 1 without.....the one with the fan, although it makes a little sound, it dries things in almost half the time  ( you'll have fun drying fruit and fruit roll-ups) . One thing I found helps is to get the meat cut to the same thickness.

Roger, to take care of your cougar problem i know what will do the trick,, a 30-6,, lol

Take care of your ass,, i mean your donkeys,, lol

My brother has miniture donkeys and they are awesome,,

MMM

Hi MMM ,

I got the gun power under control . Time & how to find them is the problem . IF I could , I would have fun hunting / tracking them . 1 guy down there is waiting for snow to track them with 4 wheelers . I don't think they have much chance at getting a look at a mountain lion , let alone a shot . I have gotten set up to electronically call coyotes in ( night vision goggles , red light dots on a 18 shot 22  ) My uncle was hunting on my farm & he said the coyotes were growling all around him in the dark , when it got light he did kill 1 .

roger, alot of poeple use dogs to tree them,,  We have coyotes and timbers, here,,

something interesting about a cougar(mountan lion) is,, when it walks it does not have  it claws out they are retracted, only when they are startled or on the hunt do the claws come, out,, also a male will travel 90 miles looking for a date night,, (if you know what i mean).

They are also the only animals with a 3 nodul kill pad on there feet..

MMM

roger, alot of poeple use dogs to tree them,,  We have coyotes and timbers, here,,

something interesting about a cougar(mountan lion) is,, when it walks it does not have  it claws out they are retracted, only when they are startled or on the hunt do the claws come, out,, also a male will travel 90 miles looking for a date night,, (if you know what i mean).

They are also the only animals with a 3 nodul kill pad on there feet..

MMM

They sound badass. Don't kill them! When you say timbers I take it you mean timber wolves? That is freaking sweet.