Sign in to follow this  
IrishShark

Understanding the Function of the US LazerPoint Cutter

I am trying to fully grasp the potential and understanding of this machine but many questions keep arrising as I read further in to these forums. Im going to narrow my questions with the specific tasks I need this machine for but also to understand its function. Ill number the questions to easily be asnwered in number format and im real sorry if the list is long. These questions might sound really stupid to some but I am completely new to this.

1.) Does the 24" LaserPoint Cutting and Plotter Machine have the ability to print while cutting or is it even able to print colored images? (I will use Laser for the rest of questions for quicker questions)

2.) I read the specs on the 24" cutter and it has the actual demensions of 23" and ... and I will be purchasing 24" cast vinyl for my cutting. Will the machine fit a 24" section of vinyl?

3.) I will definately use the countor cutting for basically everything I make. Im going to be making exact odd shaped items for this countor cutting but I will need multiple peices. My idea is to put in a 24" roll on the machine to cut the same peices probably 2 per foot so like 1x1 foot peice right beside another 1x1 foot peice and let the cutter countinously cut for lets say.. 10 feet (with the roll being on wheels to allow the machine to pull more and more in). So 20 pieces would come out of the 10 foot roll. Is this possible? Here is a simple small diagram to explain if I was cutting a long roll of vinyl of stars each being 1x1 foot

( | indicating the end side of the 24" vinyl )

| * * |

| * * |

| * * | and so on...

4.) With SignBlazer will I be able to import a scanned image and use signblazer to make that scanned imagae a exact size? Also if the scanned imaged lines are not straight is there a tool that will straighten a line that is imported in to signblazer?

5.) I am going to be purchasing a new computer for just this purpose. Is there a recommendation on a computer? Computer not being expensive just compatable...

Sorry for the lengthy questions but its imperitive to my operation.

1. The LaserPoint is a cutter only. It will not print and cut. When your contour cut with a LaserPoint, what you are doing is printing on your media with a separate printer and then cutting it with the LaserPoint. The program that you use will print registration marks on the media you choose and then you will use the laser sight on the cutter to align the cutter to your graphic. If you plan on doing 12" images, you will need a printer that prints up to 12".

2. I am not sure where you saw the 23". The cutter will accept rolls that are 24".

3. Yes you can cut many images next to each other as you are describing. You will more than likely want to leave a bit of space on the edges and in between the 2 graphics. So, with a 24" roll, you will be looking at something closer to 11.5" per graphic, just to leave a little extra space. Keep in mind though, that if these are going to be contour cut, you will need a printer that can print up to 24" wide.

4. I have not seen SignBlazer scan an image directly into the program but this is easy to work around. Using the software that is supplied with your scanner you can scan and save in a file type that is accepted into Signblazer. Then you simply open the file in SignBlazer or import into an existing file and can work with the image there. I believe the only rotation that is available inside SignBlazer is in 90 degree increments so for such a minor adjustment as straightening a crooked image, you may want to look into some image editing software such as PhotoShop. Many scanners come with such software and if you haven't purchased a scanner yet you could look for one that includes it. Resizing can be done in SignBlazer but if you are already scanning and rotating somewhere else, you will probably save time doing it all in the same place, then just importing to SignBlazer before cutting.

5. The minimum requirements for the software and cutter are quite small, though I don't have the exact figures in front of me. Most home based computers will do the trick.

Hope that helped. Feel free to ask any more that come up.  :huh:

Wow exactly what I was looking for :huh:. Thanks a lot (really) for your expert advice. I still need advice though as I am dealing with an investment and I must feal savy to proceed. So of my understanding of the above statement is that a image must be created first, then given a contoured feature which is marked. That mark it is given is what the laser reads and cuts by? Well if I where the make a odd shaped object would I be able to put a regular square/rectangle around the object for the laser to read? I would like a perfectly square product to sell with the actual vinyl application to be within that square/rectangle. I watched the video where it contours the image and then cuts it and I also noticed people refering to the blade depth only deep enough to cut the vinyl. So if this where the case would I just cut the squares myself embetween the specific shaped vinyl?

I need to get this clear though. So I make a image for the cutter to recognize as the shape I need. You say I need to first print the shape and then it will contour cut. Does that mean the machine will read the one contoured image I give it and then understand it, insert the vinyl to be cut, and it will cut that contoured image as much as needed? Sorry if this is a little rough for reading.

You can cut any shape and print any shape. The laser does not actually "read" anything. What the laser does, is helps you find the place to start cutting. The laser is similar to (if not exactly like) that of a laser pointer. It is used to contour cut because it is attached to the cutter and you line up the laser to the graphic, therefor the cutter is lined up to the graphic. Then it cuts. You can either cut along a printed line or along a line that has not been printed, it is your choice. After cutting, you would then separate the grouped images with scissors or a paper cutter.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more.

Both answers sumed it all up for me. I will be purchasing this machine next week! Thanks for the quick help its apreciated. Ill be back to tackle some of the set up if I cant find a problem on here. Looks like it being my first time I will most likely run in to something.

for the record ... while the LP is not a printer, it does have the ability to pen plot (ball point). It does ship with a pen to do so.

for the record ... while the LP is not a printer, it does have the ability to pen plot (ball point). It does ship with a pen to do so.

Correct, and it even has the ability to fill plot with different colored ball point pens.