urbanrenaissanceapparel

Keyspan usb-serial adapter CANT ATTACH TO COPAM (is it the wrong one?)

I notice that you guys (uscutter) are selling the keyspan adapter (found this out after i ordered mine) but it has no image for me to see.

I ordered one from amazon but it can not attach to my copam. By this i mean that the serial port on the keyspan cannot go into the serial port on the copam because both serial ports have spaces to receive screws (one should have the screws to tighten and one should have the space to receive the screws).

Can someone tell me if i bought the wrong one or is there something i can do like CUT OFF THE SCREW RECEIVERS on the keyspan adapter...?

*i searched amazon for a different keyspan adapter that would fit without success. i attached the one that i have.

Thanks in adavance  :lol:

post-3466-12986526802014_thumb.jpg

post-3466-12986526822962_thumb.jpg

The keyspan adapter has a usb port on one end and a female serial on the other end.  Use the supplied serial cable that came with your printer, which is a female with thumb screws on one end and a male with thumb screws on the other end.  Place the male serial cable with thumb screws into the keyspan adapter  then place the female end of the serial cable with thumb screws into the printer

thanks man, but i still have problems

The serial on the keyspan is a male as in the attached pic. AND I got a usb-serial cable with the copam not a doule serial(male and female) cable. I got the keyspan because they said it was more reliable and easier to work with plus its faster. the usb-serial cable that i got with the copam did not work and now i cannot  find it :P

anyone else know what i can do? or if its the wrong one that i got? :lol:

You could get a 9-pin Serial to 9-pin Serial cable to run between the cutter and the KeySpan.

maybe i could do that, what if i buy a cheaper usb-serial adapter that has the correct attachment? will that work with the copam?

i was thinking of getting something like the attached image.. cost about $17. they even have some that cost $7

suggestions?

post-3466-12986526812618_thumb.jpg

post-3466-1298652682608_thumb.jpg

Yea, the other cable should work fine as long as it comes with the necessary drivers to load on your computer.

This doesn't directly address this thread -just my 2 cents regarding USB-Serial adapters.  They are not all created equal... I'm assuming US Cutter sells the Keyspan adapter because they have had good success with it.  I haven't had to use one of these on my cutter since my cutting PC has a serial port, but I have used many USB-Serial adapters to interface UPS/FedEx type package scales to modern PC's.  It has been my experience that lot of the cheapie USB-Serial adapters on the market do not implement the Hardware Handshaking protocol correctly (if at all).  This is important since the COM port settings for the Refine defaults to use Hardware Handshaking.  My humble advice is to buy the Keyspan adapters if you have to go USB, and possibly eliminate another point of failure.

This doesn't directly address this thread -just my 2 cents regarding USB-Serial adapters.  They are not all created equal... I'm assuming US Cutter sells the Keyspan adapter because they have had good success with it.  I haven't had to use one of these on my cutter since my cutting PC has a serial port, but I have used many USB-Serial adapters to interface UPS/FedEx type package scales to modern PC's.  It has been my experience that lot of the cheapie USB-Serial adapters on the market do not implement the Hardware Handshaking protocol correctly (if at all).  This is important since the COM port settings for the Refine defaults to use Hardware Handshaking.  My humble advice is to buy the Keyspan adapters if you have to go USB, and possibly eliminate another point of failure.

:thumbsup: