Benr98

Need/Want external hard drive

Can someone send me in the right direction for brand and size to start looking for one please?

Thanks

I just bought a Western Digital My Passport Essential 320 GB hard drive. $119 at Best Buy. Great deal. Very small too.

Guest sciondrgn

As posted on the other site..

buy.com has the 500gb for 89.99  :huh:

If you have an Office depot nearby, watch the Sunday ads. They usually have grea deals on external HDs.I think my 320gb was $79 or maybe even $69.

There are 2 different size drives though. You want the smaller one if you plan on taking it with you. One is basically a full size computer drive in an enclosure, the other is a laptop size hard drive. The one I have will fit in a shirt pocket. If you don't mind the full size, costco has 1TB for just over $100.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have been wanting one for close to a year and before something 'bad' happens..I want to get my graphics and files as protected as I can.

THANKS AGAIN

I originally had a Western Digital and it failed on me, big time. I currently have a Mybookworld, 1 TB drive. The MoNEt software connects my laptop and desktop alone with my printers. Nothing but a good experience with this drive & software.

Peabody

I also have a SimpleTech Signature Mini  that I got at Costco. 250 GB for $79 and came with really cool backup software. I tell it what folders to back up and when I plug it in it does it automatically.

It really depends on personal preferences. Like Jay said, there are two different sizes.

2.5" (notebook size)

3.5" (standard workstation size)

At the moment, the 3.5" have a much higher capacity (up to 1T ~ more or less 1,000 Gigs), but it does require a power source. the 2.5" drives are up to 320G, and are usually USB powered, however some do require a power "boost," but that is something that can provided by another USB port.

As far as brands, that too is another personal preferences. I like LaCie, but they tend to be on the more expensive side. I personally have a 500G LaCie, (3) 320G Maxtor Mini-Touch, a NetGear NAS (dual 500G, mirrored), and several other externals that I clam-shelled on my own.

If you're going to need the portability, than I would advice the 2.5" drives. If it'll just be sitting at a desk and really won't go anywhere, than go with a 3.5" and you can get much more capacity.

Decision, decisions. Good luck!  :huh:

I think also look at the software that comes with them. (most have backup software included) Of the two drives that I have the software that came with the SimpleTech seems easier top use.

I think also look at the software that comes with them. (most have backup software included) Of the two drives that I have the software that came with the SimpleTech seems easier top use.

True that. If you're going to use the external for disaster recovery, than the manufacturers pre-installed software will definitely make or break it. I've never used any of my externals for disaster recovery, only data storage and data back-up. Not to say that you have to rely on the software on the hard drive, there are 3rd party manufacturers that make some great disaster recovery software (i.e. Acronis, Norton, etc.).

Don't forget to back them up to a CD/DVD as well!  Put it in a case, and store it somewhere.  Hard drives do fail, but unless you do some serious damage to a CD, it will always be there!

What ever you get, get a case with a cooling fan. Hard drives get hot and a cooling fan

will help a lots.

Don't forget to back them up to a CD/DVD as well!  Put it in a case, and store it somewhere.  Hard drives do fail, but unless you do some serious damage to a CD, it will always be there!

optical media has a shelf life too though ... even the best media out there.

Yes, you are correct.  But I do have 20 year old CD's that still work, and I doubt there are many 20 year old hard drives out there that work!

PS - My first CD - The Fat Boys!!!

check your local ad. Both office Depot and Office Max have 500gb external for $89.