Sign in to follow this  
TLE

How to use a cutter when computer is in another room

Hi I am new here, and I just bought the Copam cutter. I am getting ready to hook it up but just waiting on a cable that was not in the kit. My question is I want to put the cutter out in my shop it is just behind my house but I wanted to be able to use my computer in the house to do some of the design work and then take it to the cutter, how can I do this? ?  Can I transfer it to a lap top and take it to the cutter or does the cutter need to be pluged in all the time, Hope this makes seens, and thanks for any ideas.

Cutter does not need to be plugged in all the time while you are creating designs BUT.  I don't think any computer cables are intended to constantly be connected/disconnected.  Sounds like you have 2 computers soo, you can network them togather.  Then you could leave one (e.g. laptop) connected to cutter and simply have a shared drive on the one in your house.  If you are going to do design work on another pc, it does not take much of a pc to actually drive a cutter, pretty bare bones inexpensive.  I occasionally sit in living room with my wife watching game and working on my laptop.  Then I copy files to main computer via our inhouse network. 

just a thought-

Regis

Do you use a wireless system to conect to the other computer and does it work good if the other computer is kind of far away. and you said the computer that run's the cutter does not have to be real strong but does it need to have any of the program's on it like corel, photoshop, or signcut x2 to run the cuter and will it need it also to work with that file that is sent to it or does it just need the signcut x2 program on it.

the computer at your cutter will need to have software(signblazer, signcut, ect.)

I asked Ken the same question about sharing the Cutter across a wireless network.  I don't think it offers that functionality.  However, if anyone was able to hook their cutter up to a wireless network, I would be interested in hearing how they did it.

It would be nice to cut from one side of the house and work from another.  Sometimes, that cutter is so loud it makes my head hurt.

Patty T.

Here is a copy and paste from the PM that Ken sent regarding networking:

Re: Just Bought ... now what

I use a wireless network, not for cutting but for file transfer.

Like everyone says you don't need much of a computer for cutting. I have the cutter set up in my office upstairs and do most of my designing on my laptop (like RegisG I sit in my easy chair in front of my big screen watching movies or races and design - it gives me inspiration!)

The cutting computer just needs to be connected to the network so it can access the design files.

One thing I never do is walk away from my cutter when it is cutting!!! That is a sure way to trash a roll of vinyl.

One thing I never do is walk away from my cutter when it is cutting!!! That is a sure way to trash a roll of vinyl.

excellent advice for eveyone!