Spyder Graphix

Lets see your shop or work area.

Well i did a search but did not find anything. Post up some pics of your shop or work area. We all love to see how others are doing it..

post-2235-12986525844994_thumb.jpg

post-2235-1298652584597_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12986525860262_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12986525860836_thumb.jpg

Nice setup you have there Spyder. I work out of a 12x12 room, I could only wish it to look that organized when in the middle of an order. I put the vinyl rolls under the table to keep from tripping on them. It's great to see how others manage, even if it's the small stuff. Thanks for the peek inside!

Thanks Joe, I need to make some of those dowel racks everyone referred to. That might help with the necessary clutter. Hmmm, I could use that for the spools of embroidery thread too.

well,Spyder...I would post mine but am ashamed to now after seeing your neat and clean shop.

Yeah me too John, especially since I have it spread out amongst 3 rooms of the house...lol

Yeah me too John, especially since I have it spread out amongst 3 rooms of the house...lol

YOu don't have basements in the frozen north?

Ahhh yes, some people have basements............just not ME!!!  :lol:

Thanks guys. We are about to move into our new building at the first of Nov. It has a big show room and is on the main street of our town so it gets TON of traffic. I love the place we are in now just the area we do the cutting in is a little small as we are now doing alot of bigger jobs since we got a retail location. Alot of people kept telling me to just keep it all at home so i dont have much overhead but by getting a retail place we are now doing 2 or 3 times the work. It has paid off nice. Only thing ill miss is the huge install bay we have now. We can pull a dump truck like in the pic all the way in and still close the door. I think it is 2000sqf building and our new one is 3200.

Good luck at your new place, seems like a great location. I work in a very condensed 12x12, every inch has it's purpose. I've thought of building a room in the basement but then I'd have the issue of lifting the embroidery machine. I swore when we brought that monster in it wasn't going anywhere. I've often entertained the idea of a storefront in the small town I live in, but worried about the overhead. Do you live in a larger city? Was it hard adjusting to the "store hours", being tied to a building? Which I suppose is no different than being tied to a room with nonstop hours. But I can still run an errand/delivery w/o having to worry about watching the shop. Good for you that it has worked out to your advantage.

Thanks Tory. Well i am about 15 min south of Indianapolis in a town called Franklin. We are about 35k people and have some other towns right next to you. I would say its a pretty good size city. I loved it when i moved into a store front. Just being able to meet with your clients in a business setting is great. Plus the drive by traffic you get pays for itself. I do work 7 days a week which is hard because we also run a flea market booth on the east side of Indy. The flea market is how we started out and then was able to get our own building. Alot of people knock flea markets but the money it makes i could never close it lol. Me and my wife run the show and have 1 part time employee to help out. It is a great market where we are.  I have about 3 other sign shops around me and theres work for all of us.

I was just in your area (Indy) last month, very nice city. Makes me sad for Detroit, after visiting Chicago and Indy not to mention NY, that our city can't be a nicer place to visit. What items do you focus on at the flea market? I was offered an opportunity to go to a Craft show recently but wasn't sure what would sell well. Makes one nervous to invest in a lot of items if they don't sell and then what to do with the items afterwards.

Ahh must have been here for the NBM show... That was a great show. We get alot of different things at the flea market from license plates, t shirts, banners, yard signs, magnets and just RTA vinyl. It keeps us pretty busy were in 3 days turns out about 2k in sales a week. We get alot of larger jobs from it also. We got alot of school work and large business jobs. Anywhere from lettering 10 work vans to orders for 200 yard signs. Theres some good business there if you have a flea market near you. As far as Craft fairs and such; those are great money makers also. I try to goto as many as i can. Our next one will be on Oct 19 at the Drag strip in indy where there having a big car show.

Yes, it was the NBM show. Thanks, I appreciate the info, there are a couple flea markets around my area. I'd love to generate $2000/wk and have the equipment, now just need to put on that salesman's cap  :lol:

well,Spyder...I would post mine but am ashamed to now after seeing your neat and clean shop.

John, you can always share the pic of your drum set  :lol:

I am spread out into two different rooms. One with the cutter and computer and another for the heat press, assembly, etc. Yes, one is in the basement!