Zombie

cutting magnets

Can US cutters cut door magnets? Like 30ml thick? I have a guy that wants some magnetic signs for his truck but wants them in the shape of a badge.

I tried with 30 mil once... even with the blade way out and max pressure,the best I could do was almost all the way through. However,it was easy to just complete the cut with an exacto knife. Just go slow and follow the cut.

I wouldn't even dull my blade or run the risk of passing a magnet over something that shouldn't have a magnet over it.

I'd just lay the vinyl on it and cut it out by hand.

It seems like if you barely scored the magnet it should rip along the cut. You may have to fold it slightly.

I had a magnet laying around so I thought I would give it a try. Just cut with my normal vinyl settings and I was able to pull it apart.

post-1657-12986525849179_thumb.jpg

I used a new blade full force and slowest speed and it didn't do much of anything. Still had to cut it manually.

yeah, I'm not sure I would subject a plotter to that.  I've heard alot of stories (true or not) about it causing damage... but I don't think you want to use a 45 degree blade.  I believe you should be using a 60 degree blade to cut magnets... I actually have one here, I bought when I first got my Roland PC60 and never even put in because I read the horror stories after buying it, and I still have a huge roll of magnetic material laying around :thumbsup:

I would look at making a template out of something and cutting it by hand if it's not too intricate

I tried with 30 mil once... even with the blade way out and max pressure,the best I could do was almost all the way through. However,it was easy to just complete the cut with an exacto knife. Just go slow and follow the cut.

I agree, the Exacto is the way to go. You may want to buy yourself a french curve set from an art store as well !

Drawing with the pen plotter first is an excellent suggestion!!   :huh:

I would not even attempt running magnetic materials threw any plotter.

1. The material sticks to any metal surface

2. It is way to heavy to pull threw a plotter

3. I can and will damage your plotter head which will cost you more to fix then to replace the plotter

4. You do not want damage any sensative areas of your plotter due to magnetic pull which can erase certain components.

Take our advice and do not listen to the idealistic noobs! We have allready made the mistakes they have yet to encounter. Take your time and be patient with the exacto knife!!!!!!!

geez if that dosent have the ring of that 101 forum thing . :huh:  I was merely suggesting a possible option. seesm that other idealistic noobs like banner john and jay deemed it tryable