Sign in to follow this  
C Lewis

raster to vector trace in inkscape

ok. i use illustrator cs, not quite up to date, but does the trick. i am an avid ai user, although the tracing tool in cs sucks.....    it seems like quite a few of you are using inkscape to trace raster to vector......  i am thinking of trying it out.........  how well does it trace?  anyone have any pointers?    thnx

I can not believe I didn't slow down enough to use this program before now. You are right, it is easy and a miracle tool. Trace does not work in Corel12 but it certainly does in Inkscape. I first dl to my Mac but it doesn't seem to work. So tonight I dl to the PC and did as you described. I had a cuttable file in seconds. I was able to upload the SVG file to Cadworx but for some reason it wasn't as clean when imported to Corel? Do you know why that is? Would it be because Cadworx also uses SVG files? Anyways this is def a tool to put in the box, Thanks!

I can not believe I didn't slow down enough to use this program before now. You are right, it is easy and a miracle tool. Trace does not work in Corel12 but it certainly does in Inkscape. I first dl to my Mac but it doesn't seem to work. So tonight I dl to the PC and did as you described. I had a cuttable file in seconds. I was able to upload the SVG file to Cadworx but for some reason it wasn't as clean when imported to Corel? Do you know why that is? Would it be because Cadworx also uses SVG files? Anyways this is def a tool to put in the box, Thanks!

I know this post is over a month old... but SVG files are nothing more than XML files that what ever program you use interperts... If Inscape writes the XML one way, a different program could slightly read it differenly if not using the same interperter.