captonzoom

Need Input Fast please

Ok, I know the answer to my question, I just need your input to help me send an email or letter to this potential customer.

I have created a decal for a potential customer celebrating their 75 aniversary of their club.  Attached a sample of what I created, it is the one with 75 in it.  I quoted a little over 2 dollars a decal.  I think that it is more than fair as the weeding is a nightware.  Inner letters are around .23 inches.  They came back to me and said, "We have someone else that can do them for .86 cents a decal.  I am automatically assuming that they were quoted stickers, not vinyl cut-out ( die-cut right?) decals.

My question to all of you is A am I right, and B (again I know the answer being what I sell and a sticker are two different things) Can someone help me word the difference between the two so I can attempt to gain this customer?

Any help would be WELL appreciated.

Cheers!!

post-2829-12986525401332_thumb.jpg

post-2829-12986525423383_thumb.jpg

I guess the question is can you do them for the same price just to gain them and maybe some possible future work? I would think for that price they were probably quoted a printed sticker. At .86 each I would bet they are not laminated. You could possibly explain to them how much faster a printed sticker would fade versus vinyl. Just my thoughts.

Good luck

Jason

Thanks Jason,  The quantities they want wouldn't justify the time, if you know what I mean.  This is what I am thinking of writing so far:

""These are die cut,vinyl decals. They are not inkjet printed stickers on a white or clear background. These aren't the cheap quality car decals that fade or crack within a year. These decals are made of high quality weather-resistant vinyl with an average outdoor life of 6 years. They are made from the same material used for semi-trucks and outdoor signs. All decals are one solid color and can be applied to your vehicle body, car window, truck, SUV, motorcycle, minivan, RV, boat, kayak, snowmobile, scooter, skateboard, home or office windows, helmets, plastic, wood, or any other smooth, non-porous, wax free surface.""

I would not usew the word "cheap" describing someone elses product.  Just say that your's are 6 year vinyl and not subject to rapid fading.  Better to boost your's and not degrade theirs.

my 2c

Regis

I thing the price you quoted was more than fair and would not go down - maybe they are just rying to get  you to drop the price too!

Thanks guys,

So check this out... My friend is the one that referred me to this potential customer, her husband has been relaying my info back from them.  He called and said that the "VO-TECH" school quoted the price.  Nice huh.

That make sence now - they just want to cover the cost and get learning experience - hard to compete when labor and equiipment is free!  that is why we do not let the Prison industries do any work that is available thru public souces!

I think your price was low (it looks like 7x5 inches? if im reading your mat correctly). I wouldnt do them for $2 unless they were getting alot. Let them get it done elsewhere it will save you the trouble. If you are doing this as a "business" you need to make $ on the jobs. I quote things low on a regular basis and kick myself in the butt afterward for doing it.

Good luck getting the job, I hope it works out for you. But dont go lower on your price on this one.

I started out with quantities of 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1250.  The price per each one drops as the quantity goes up. It starts at around just under or just over $4.00 each for the lowest number and I think its around $2.86 each for the highest number.  How does that sound.

Thanks!!

I think you may need to come to the realization that SOME jobs are just not worth doing, and ANYTHING that works you HARD and pays less than $5 per piece, is likely to fall into that category.

You could probably sell Cucumbers easier, more rapidly and make a greater profit that ANYTHING that sells for less than $5 and especially anything that is approaching 86 cents.

Save your energy and enthusiasm for jobs that make you a BUSINESS and not a HOBBY.

The BEST you can hope for is to work yourself into a long frenzy and the customer says " ..yeah .. they look OK" and pays you........

The WORST that can happen is the customer says " .... these are GREAT !! I will be ordering them every month at 86 cents each !!"

Richard

www.SignTrainer.com

"Sign ShopTraining Videos for Beginners"

Clearwater, Fl

727-481-5026

No, I agree.  I will NOT do them for .86 cent each.  do you think just under $3.00 each is ok for 1250?  I quoted them just under or just over $4.00 each for the smaller quantities.

Cheers

oh wow 1250 of those no thank you. Check into what M&S said subbing it out printed might get you closer to the price. I would not want to do 1250 of those especially where you said the text is a pain to weed.

oh wow 1250 of those no thank you. Check into what M&S said subbing it out printed might get you closer to the price. I would not want to do 1250 of those especially where you said the text is a pain to weed.

ditto.

And even if they wanted them in manageable quantities - just tell them that you are a professional business and not in the process of vocational training. That's like trying to cater a nice wedding with a bunch of kids that are taking home ec classes. rotfl2.gif

ditto.

And even if they wanted them in manageable quantities - just tell them that you are a professional business and not in the process of vocational training. That's like trying to cater a nice wedding with a bunch of kids that are taking home ec classes. rotfl2.gif

Thanks haumana,

I wrote them a letter explaining the differences.  I agree with you.  If they want to spend their ooddles of money on garbage, ohwell.  My quote is only good for 30days :thumbsup: Price increase

Ok, I know the answer to my question, I just need your input to help me send an email or letter to this potential customer.

I have created a decal for a potential customer celebrating their 75 aniversary of their club.  Attached a sample of what I created, it is the one with 75 in it.  I quoted a little over 2 dollars a decal.  I think that it is more than fair as the weeding is a nightware.  Inner letters are around .23 inches.  They came back to me and said, "We have someone else that can do them for .86 cents a decal.  I am automatically assuming that they were quoted stickers, not vinyl cut-out ( die-cut right?) decals.

My question to all of you is A am I right, and B (again I know the answer being what I sell and a sticker are two different things) Can someone help me word the difference between the two so I can attempt to gain this customer?

Cheers!!

I am not seeing how that price would be in the scope for even a school. I would say they came up with a magic number off the top of there head. I buy my vinyl and inks below wholesale prices and could not print them at that price. With the quantities I have read in your posts, this job would take around 3 days for a fully staffed professional shop to produce. If you are performing overlays you are doubleing your order as well. So a school producing 2400 decals ( designed, Cut, Weeded, Taped ,Overlaid and slit) with green students for those prices, I have to call Bull Crap.!!

Something does not add up with the situation nor the pricing for that matter. Id pass on it, you are a professional artist not a professional begger. Id give them the flat rate of 4.00 with the maximum order of 250 and 5 day completion date just to make sure you are not late. Those letters are not an average size so the weeding is going to be a nightmare!!

Be sure to get half down to cover your material before you begin!

Boe

Xpress Signs & Graphics

Cheers!!

I am not seeing how that price would be in the scope for even a school. I would say they came up with a magic number off the top of there head. I buy my vinyl and inks below wholesale prices and could not print them at that price. With the quantities I have read in your posts, this job would take around 3 days for a fully staffed professional shop to produce. If you are performing overlays you are doubleing your order as well. So a school producing 2400 decals ( designed, Cut, Weeded, Taped ,Overlaid and slit) with green students for those prices, I have to call Bull Crap.!!

Something does not add up with the situation nor the pricing for that matter. Id pass on it, you are a professional artist not a professional begger. Id give them the flat rate of 4.00 with the maximum order of 250 and 5 day completion date just to make sure you are not late. Those letters are not an average size so the weeding is going to be a nightmare!!

Be sure to get half down to cover your material before you begin!

Boe

Xpress Signs & Graphics

Thanks Boe!!  You red my mind!!!