Sign in to follow this  
jenni

Cheap way to make t-shirts-Heat Press Kit I bought worked great!

Wow, I finally bought something that actually saved  me money instead of buying something to save money only to have to go out and buy the "right" thing to do the job...

Ok, so I wanted to do t-shirts but cannot afford a heat press.  I contacted a neighbor friend who is an engineer and likes projects and making things.  I explained the process and asked if he could think of anything that would work.  A few days later he brought me:

a piece of 3/8" X 2" X 4" aluminum

a specially made piece of high temp foam rubber to place in between the shirt-like the bottom platen on a heat press.

I added a teflon sheet to the mix.

...and some quick instructions.

Put the aluminum in the oven and set oven to 375 degrees f.  Over heat by 5 percent to allow for cooling.

Place the t-shirt (in my case) on a hard floor with the high temp. foam under the first layer of shirt. 

Once the aluminum is up to temp ( I waited 15 minutes ) take it out being very very careful-use thick gloves or oven mits!

Place hot aluminum over the area to be heat pressed.  Leave on to heat bottom surface for 10 seconds. 

Pick-up aluminum and set it to the side on something safe. 

Place cut heat vinyl on t-shirt and place teflon on top of vinyl.

Place the aluminum over the teflon.

Now get your sneakers on and stand on the aluminum 2 inch by 4 inch piece for 20 seconds!

I weigh 110 pounds soaking wet and it worked perfectly!!!!

I made 25 shirts and 50 special undies!  It was easy and I did not have any peel.  I washed a shirt 10 times on heavy and in hot water to check to make sure it adhered well, and it did!  I placed the aluminum back in the oven after 5 shirts and waited  5 minutes for it to reheat.  While I waited I pulled the backing off and prepped for the next 5....

Just thought I would share this.  It did not melt my sneakers, I did not get burned, and I saved $200 plus shipping!  He sold me the kit at cost for $45 plus $10 shipping.  He mentioned putting them on ebay for $65... I tried to get the aluminum locally but it was almost $40 and did not include the high temp foam rubber backer.  Anyways, I just thought I would share since everyone has shared so well with me! 

Thanks to everyone!

good deal! I don't like the oven bit though... I am what is commonly called 'accident prone' and I would get burned.

However, for about $20 in lumber and parts, and a $30 flat griddle with thermostat, you can build a perfectly good heat press that works great. The only thing that would go bad would be the griddle...$30 to replace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380019415799&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

is what I went by when I built one for my brother. The thing at the end of the handle is a cam...it locks the thing down tight.

I love the way you think,though. I am by nature a 'tinkerer' and love figuring out ways to do things that don't cost much.

Wow, I finally bought something that actually saved  me money instead of buying something to save money only to have to go out and buy the "right" thing to do the job...

Ok, so I wanted to do t-shirts but cannot afford a heat press.  I contacted a neighbor friend who is an engineer and likes projects and making things.  I explained the process and asked if he could think of anything that would work.  A few days later he brought me:

a piece of 3/8" X 2" X 4" aluminum

a specially made piece of high temp foam rubber to place in between the shirt-like the bottom platen on a heat press.

I added a teflon sheet to the mix.

...and some quick instructions.

Put the aluminum in the oven and set oven to 375 degrees f.  Over heat by 5 percent to allow for cooling.

Place the t-shirt (in my case) on a hard floor with the high temp. foam under the first layer of shirt. 

Once the aluminum is up to temp ( I waited 15 minutes ) take it out being very very careful-use thick gloves or oven mits!

Place hot aluminum over the area to be heat pressed.  Leave on to heat bottom surface for 10 seconds. 

Pick-up aluminum and set it to the side on something safe. 

Place cut heat vinyl on t-shirt and place teflon on top of vinyl.

Place the aluminum over the teflon.

Now get your sneakers on and stand on the aluminum 2 inch by 4 inch piece for 20 seconds!

I weigh 110 pounds soaking wet and it worked perfectly!!!!

I made 25 shirts and 50 special undies!  It was easy and I did not have any peel.  I washed a shirt 10 times on heavy and in hot water to check to make sure it adhered well, and it did!  I placed the aluminum back in the oven after 5 shirts and waited  5 minutes for it to reheat.  While I waited I pulled the backing off and prepped for the next 5....

Just thought I would share this.  It did not melt my sneakers, I did not get burned, and I saved $200 plus shipping!  He sold me the kit at cost for $45 plus $10 shipping.  He mentioned putting them on ebay for $65... I tried to get the aluminum locally but it was almost $40 and did not include the high temp foam rubber backer.  Anyways, I just thought I would share since everyone has shared so well with me! 

Thanks to everyone!

To me a iron would have been a lot easier and less dangerous.

[To me a iron would have been a lot easier and less dangerous.

The problem with using an iron, is you can't heat the entire area at the same constant temperature for the required time.

Haha, this is awesome.  I would try it for sure if I didn't have a friends heat press.

So far, I have built everything in my screen arsenal, press, flash, racks, etc and am working on a conveyor dryer, but I think I'll just buy a commercial heat press when the time comes.

Ingenuity is what separates us from apes.  That, and thumbs.