Sign in to follow this  
jeff0246

Help with getting started...disabled, but willing to work hard! Please assist!

I am disabled, but able to work doing most things related to sign making, the "stuff" I cannot do I can get my nephews to help me with, and eventually (hopefully) an employee.  Regardless whether or not anyone has the time to help me, God Bless and thanks for reading.  :thumbsup:

I only have about $1000 to spend to get started.  I know this is not much, but I am on a limited budget and I have a commercial location for free-I have been volunteering to work with autistic children (taking the children out the household to give the parents a break) for the last 20 years.  They grandparents of one of the children has a 10x25 space in a large commercial building and said I can use the space for free until I get going. 

I am wondering if I can get a cutter/plotter and all of my supplies for under $1k?  I found some plotters on ebay for under $500, but am not sure if they are cheaply built and problematic, or if they are ok? 

What would I need to get started exactly?  I know a plotter, vinyl, a sign (lol), but am not sure of what else other than the weeding tools...

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Jeff

Any model will do the job and there is support here 24/7 from this forum members.

If you can afford it, I would suggest you get a Copma. It is Strong and it is commercial grade.

You will need to get:

Transfer tape

Vinyl

Squegees

Banner Material

Weeding tools

Welcome to the forums! It is good to have you here.

Thank you so much for the reply!

What software do you use?  Is the 24 inch pcut large enough for most jobs? 

I feel optimistic, thanks to people like you who are kind enough to help!

Sincerely,

Jeff

Well, there are different softwares. I use SignCut X2 which came with the cutter. it is only to cut. you will need a vector graphic software such as Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand or Inkscape (which is free www.inkscape.org)

There are some cutting software in which you can design also, such as Flexi.

So what do you want to do? what will your market be? I think 24" is good, and if you need to cut something bigger you can always tile the cut and then mount it.

Joe

Thanks so much for your time everyone!

Honestly, I feel a little foolish, but I assumed that the cutting software was the same as the design software...naive, I know.  Is there an all in one software that would work well and be easy to use?  A lot of the ebay cutters come with some form of software, but it is confusing to me.  I never know if it is good software, a full version, or a just a 30 day trial...

If I can get a 24" cutter I can save a little money to put towards other stuff.

I am going to go to Business' (door to door), advertise in the local paper, and make a nice sign ( I hope-lol).  I would like to do banners, business related signs, and snowmobile and boat lettering to start with. 

Thanks again everyone!

Evening Jeff...

The is a free downloadable demo version of SignBlazer Elements that can be found here or by search most web search engines. This was the most current software that US Cutter bundled with their cutters. SBE is an all-in-one program as you were inquiring about. It's fairly easy to learn and can keep most people happy. As you get more invovled, and better at graphics, cutting, etc... you will probably want to upgrade to something that is more of the industry standard, like Flexi as Wild mentioned. The demo version if SBE allows you to cut images, etc... so starting out, this is an item you could save some funds on, until you get that bank account nice and phat!

I have both a 24" pcut and a 24" refine. Currently, although the pcut is a more expensive machine... it is now my backup machine, and I use the refine as my main cutter. Both have there pro's and con's, and both sould like they would fit into your budget.

For the most part, material is cheap. I'd recommend going to www.thesignexpert.com to see an list of all the possible items you may need for the business. Granted, the list on that site is targeted for a full balls to the wall business. It's not uncommon for people around to start out with the cutter, a few tools, and just a handful of rolls of vinyl, some good application tape, and a few other materials like banners, etc.

Word of caution... if you go to ebay looking for vinyl and other material like app tape. If the deal seems to be too good to be true... this probably the case. Stick to name brand vinyl... in the long run this will save you money, frustration, headacres, and keep your customers happy.

There are a TON of images that can be downloaded for free from this forum, so for right now, there's no need to go spend a third of your budget on images/graphics.

YouTube is a source for training videos. Simple things like how to make a sign, applying app tape, installing a vinyl decal with different methods, cleaning and prepping the substrate, layering vinyl for multi color decals, etc. cam all be found on YouTube.

Good luck with your new venture!!! People around here aren't shy, so if you have some questions... ask away, people WILL answer them!

If you plan on buying a cutter through USCutter on ebay... you just have to be patient sometime to get a good deal... just wait and it will happen!  :thumbsup:

If your looking to start on a budget I'd go for the refine http://www.uscutterdirect.com/USCutter-MH-Vinyl-Cutter--12-25-33-or-50-inch_p_1-25.html  I had the pcut and really liked it but think if i was buying on a budget again i'd go for the refine. You can also get oracal vinyl and trasfer tape from uscutter and only pay 9.99 shipping anywhere in the US

Welcome Jeff!!  looks like you have already received some great information.

The one thing we purchased which has been VERY helpful is a magnifying glass with light that attaches to our weeding table...makes weeding small details ALOT easier.

Pics for weeding can be picked up pretty cheap..heck I found a pack of pics at our local Ace for $2.00!

Hey save where you can, spend a little more on the important things.

Jenny

I started with less than $1000 when cutters were twice what they are now. I also suggest the refine.

all you really need to get going is a cutter, a 10 yard roll of each of the basic colors,a few squeegies,and maybe some blank banners. All can be had for under $1000.

I strongly suggest getting Flexi as your cutting software. It will do MOST of what you need. Inkscape for vectorizing and design,it is free. Those 2 are all I had the first 18 months.

If you have a local supplier,or at least one close enough to get 1 day shipping,you can buy your supplies as you need them at first. Get a 50% deposit for everything you do to cover the supplies.

Feel free to PM me anytime..I have helped more tha one person get started in the biz and will help you all I can. If anybody knows how to start from nothing,it is me. That's how I did it.

Wow, what great advice from everyone!  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it!  I have been researching for almost 2 weeks and have not gotten as detailed and helpful information!  All I can say is THANK YOU! 

US cutter has a cutter which has a laser to help with alignment and cutting is this necessary, or helpful?  It says it is good for contouring.  Another dumb question..what exactly does that mean?

I plan on buying from US cutter on ebay since they have some great feedback on here and they have been helpful. 

Jeff

jnamietta@aol.com

Jeff, contour cut is when you print something in a printer, you place registration marks on the paper or vinyl. Then you place the imprint in your cutter and use the Laser to align the imprint then the Contour cut will cut around the imprint.

Joe

Contour cutting uses a laser to cut around an image, say for instance if you were printing out an image from your home computer onto some heat press material, and needed to cut out the image with a measured contour cut around it. The laser pinpoints a mark on the paper, and uses it to know where to start cutting.

Foolks like Fivestar and BannerJohn have posted ways to contour cut with their refine(which does not have a laser), when using Flexi cutting software.

Not sure there is more that I can add to the great information others have already posted...except that I started with less than $1,000 myself.  It's fun, it's easier than many think it is, and it makes good money.  :thumbsup:

over 3 years now in the business full time and never had to do a contour cut. I suggest getting a Refine and wait til you establish your business to get a contour cutter.IF you ever feel the need.

Thanks Joe and Firemalt!

There are so many brands of vinyls and transfer tapes out there!  Which ones are best?  I want to go with quality and ones that will make the application easier and result in a better end product.  Thanks..Jeff

So many opinions on vinyl and tape.  But I really like Oracal 651.  It's a good vinyl for all-around applications.  It also has a 6-year outdoor life.  As for tape, I have both paper and clear tape, both "RTape" brand.

oracal is good. Decent vinyl at affordable price is FDC..which I use probably 75% of the time.

all these oracal people...

Im the black sheep here.. I say buuuy 3M Scotchcal 50 or Avery A6,

I have had no problems with those brands.  An application tape I

would recommend over ALL the rest, 3M SCPS-2, will set you back

$90 but WELL WORTH THE MONEY!  Good for wet AND dry apps.

I agree on the 3m and avery. It's about 20% of what I use. Fact is, I've used maybe 2 rolls of oracal in 3 years. Couldn't see the differehnce in price vs the difference in quality (none)

As mentioned, a good all around vinyl is Oracal 651(I use it too), but many use FDC 4200 which is comparable to Oracal's 651 outdoor lifespan, and priced in the same ballpark. Usually under $20 per 15" X 10 yrd roll.

With application tape, I refer R-Tape conform. Others like TearPerfect... either brand would get the job done. Both priced under $40 for a 15"ish X 100 yrd roll.

Go to the forum home page, and tpye in "material suppliers" in the search bar. It should bring up a thread that has a decent resource of online vendors to choose from.