Sign in to follow this  
haumana

Want your opinion about cutting software ...

I currently use my Vaio laptop with SBE for my LP.  I've been considering purchasing another cutting software to install on my monster box and was wondering if I should just get another copy of SBE, since that's what I'm using now, or if I should try one of the other ones (Flexi Starter or SignCut X-2) - since they all seem to be competitively priced. Just wanted to know what your guys thoughts are.

Well if you need another a design software and want to learn a new program then get flexi. If your happy with SBE and don't need a designing software then stick to that.

I have SignCut X2 and I lik eit. It is really simple and easy to use. Works great. I design in Illy and freehand so I dont need a cutting software to design, just to cut.

Joe

From what I have learned around here - some one correct me if I am wrong - but SBE is better then Flexi STARTER if you are using it for layout and designing.

From my understanding Flexi starter is only a cutting program.

I do not have Illustrator, or any other design program, and without shelling out a lot of money I don't have (yet) I am not gonna buy the full blown Flexi or Illustrator so SBE was my best choice. So far it does everything I need it to do for my small sign and banner business.

just my pocket change of an opinion.

I've had no problem either using just SBE. 

Haumana, is there something SBE doesn't allow you to do?  Just curious.

Jenny <~~~who really needs to learn Inkscape better!  :P

Guest sciondrgn

I use Inkscape and Flexi and love it

^^^ Who needs to concentrate on that version of Coreldraw that she has if she is going to learn anything !

LOL Wild, is that a subtle hint?  :P

Ditto from me. I have been able to do most everything I need with SBE. If you know it and it does what you want why change?

There are other posts about the problems that SBE could have let alone no support for it other than on here :-

@Jenny...I need to learn inkscape myself REAL bad. I am also considering Corel but from what I understand Inkscape will do the same things...correct me if I am wrong!

Troy, hopefully someone else (hmm like Wild) will be able to tell you if Corel and Inkscape are alot alike...since I want to learn Inkscape but Wild feels I need to get goin' on my Corel!!  :P

So I guess I need to whip my little knowledge of Corel into shape.

Jenny

I use both CorelDraw x4 and Inkscape.  I mainly use Inkscape for working with nodes (moving, adding, and removing) and vectorizing and image.  Inkscape has the market on that functionality, IMO.  For everthing else, I mostly use Corel. 

Yes, you can.  Comparing between the two for working with nodes, I have just found Inkscape to be superior in doing that.  :D  So if I need to vectorize an image, I always bring it through Inkscape first, make any node adjustments I need to make there, then I bring it into Corel for any additional work.  I guess I could still do a bit of that in Inkscape, but have found some things easier to do in Corel (and more functionality for some things as well).

Well Wild I have no idea what a Wacom tablet will do for ya!!! But I'll trust ya!  :D

Ohh la la...now that looks like it could open up a whole new way to design!!  I'm better with paper and pencil for drawing than on the computer.

I see it doesn't support Vista...which is fine for me I have XP...

Can't wait to hear your review of it!!

Jenny

Guest TracMatt

What type Wild?  I had the graphire but it won't work on my new computer despite downloading new drivers and calling customer service.  I have to get a new tablet to use for embroidery ditigizing.  I am going to get one with a bigger pen so my fingers don't go numb this time.  I miss my wireless mouse sooo much!

Tracee

SB has been locking up on me all morning every time i hit the cut button.  The more and more i use it ihate it.  Ive been trying to find out how to cut from corel x4 but i havent be able to make sense of it

Guest TracMatt

I don't have vista cyber.  I have xp.  I have tried every driver on the site.  The tablet works but the computer will not restart with it connected, it just sits there with a black screen until I unplug.  Well anyway we are threadjacking.

Tracee

SBE has worked for me ... only because that's what Ken recommended when I bought my LP, and it's the only software I have that can interface with the cutter. I was considering other stuff because there was a post about SBE not quite closing the cuts and when this person downloaded and used the trial version of Signcut X-2, it managed to finish all the cuts on the money.

While I finally have my SBE setup so that there is no (knock on wood) issues with my LP, I still lurk in the LP bulletin boards and see how much trouble everyone is having with SBE (probably because that's what shipped). Others here have nothing but good stuff to say about Flexi & Sign Cut.

I figured if I'm going to buy another license of some kind of cutting software, it couldn't hurt to consider what else is out there. I could you a little  more cross training to add to my skill set.

SBE has worked for me ... only because that's what Ken recommended when I bought my LP, and it's the only software I have that can interface with the cutter. I was considering other stuff because there was a post about SBE not quite closing the cuts and when this person downloaded and used the trial version of Signcut X-2, it managed to finish all the cuts on the money.

While I finally have my SBE setup so that there is no (knock on wood) issues with my LP, I still lurk in the LP bulletin boards and see how much trouble everyone is having with SBE (probably because that's what shipped). Others here have nothing but good stuff to say about Flexi & Sign Cut.

I figured if I'm going to buy another license of some kind of cutting software, it couldn't hurt to consider what else is out there. I could you a little  more cross training to add to my skill set.

I have never had any trouble with my SBE either but I too saw the post about closing cuts better. It has me curious. SBE is all I have ever used and i really like it, but if there is another program that will make my cuts look better I am interested in looking at it. I especially don't care for how some of my text cuts. It is my only complaint.

I've had no problems with cutting complete text or designs with the Copam and SBE.

Thankfully **knock on wood**

Exactly.

I have never had any trouble with my SBE either but I too saw the post about closing cuts better. It has me curious. SBE is all I have ever used and i really like it, but if there is another program that will make my cuts look better I am interested in looking at it. I especially don't care for how some of my text cuts. It is my only complaint.

Huamana, I found this in another post. Maybe we should both take him up on the offer:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?action=post;quote=49418;topic=5028.0;num_replies=3;sesc=74e721682d5d4dd561ee0ebee7f19380

"  I can also send you a full working Demo DVD copy of the latest version 8.5 with 30 days to try all features free!

Call me or send me your company name and mailing address for the demo. 

Thank you,

Gary Lund -Technical Sales Support -Toll free 800.918.9116

Reece Supply Co. of Dallas ■ 3308 Royalty Row, Irving, TX  75062 ■ Direct 972.812.6025 ■ Fax 972.721.1758  "

I did a search & got the e-mail address ( dallas@reecesupply.com ). Sent them a request for the trial . If you do try it also . let me know what you think . seems ALOT of people think Flexi Starter is bare bones & mostly a cutting tool which you support with coraldraw etc . I'm doing good with SignBlazer , just wondering if there is something a little easier ( especially in the measuring department ) regards , Rodger

There are other posts about the problems that SBE could have let alone no support for it other than on here :-

@Jenny...I need to learn inkscape myself REAL bad. I am also considering Corel but from what I understand Inkscape will do the same things...correct me if I am wrong!

Troy,

I have been using Corel since the beginning of time, and just recently found out about Inkscape. I think that inkscape could be a little less burdensome, it has too many controls/buttons/etc.. IMHO. But, it will do everything that Corel will do, and possibly somethings better.

Like everything, it is what you get used to in the beginning. For my money if I was starting all new in this wonderfull world of computer imaging I would start with and stick with Inkscape. The grass always looks greener on the other side, but money vs free is a no brainer in this case.