wright247

newbie - question about SBE

I cannot seem to get my SBE to cut .bmp files. It keeps giving the message that the BMP files will be ignored. Am I missing something here? Any Fix? Thanks! Andy

I cannot seem to get my SBE to cut .bmp files. It keeps giving the message that the BMP files will be ignored. Am I missing something here? Any Fix? Thanks! Andy

Yes. SBE (or any s/w that I know of) will only cut vector images.  You must vectorize 1st.  In SBE you can do that successfully on some images by converting to Black & White then Vectorize.  I believe these option are under the image menu.

Otherwise, you need to vectorize in AI, Corel, InkS, or other software.

Regis

The only type image that SBE will cut is either a eps file, or a SBD file(Sign Blazer saved file).

In order to convert a jpg. png, gif, bmp to an eps file, you need a program such as inkscape(free program at www.inkscape.org) to convert the image.

Do a search here for instructions on how to convert images in inkscape, there are plenty of threads already on the subject.

even after you vectorize a bmp image the bmp image stays on your workspace along with the vectorized image, its best to delete the bmp image that way you won't get the nag ( that the BMP image will not be cut)

Inkscape instructions on how to convert an image:

Open Inkscape.

Import image.

Select/highlight image.

Go to "Path"(at the top menu).

Scroll down to "Trace Bitmap".

Leave "Brightness cutoff" selected.

Change the "Threshold" number to your liking.

Click on "Update" to see the changes.

Once you have the image where you like it' date=' click on "OK".

Close the "Trace Bitmap" menu box.

[b']Click once on the original image, then delete it.[/b]

Click on "File"(at the top menu).

Scroll down to "Save As".

Change the name of the image to want you want it to be.

Choose a location to save the image at.

Choose the format you want the image saved as(in this case, we want .eps).

Click "Save".

When closing Inkscape, it will ask you if you would like to save the image as a .svg as well... I always click on "Close without saving".

Inkscape instructions on how to convert an image:

Open Inkscape.

Import image.

Select/highlight image.

Go to "Path"(at the top menu).

Scroll down to "Trace Bitmap".

Leave "Brightness cutoff" selected.

Change the "Threshold" number to your liking.

Click on "Update" to see the changes.

Once you have the image where you like it' date=' click on "OK".

Close the "Trace Bitmap" menu box.

Click on "File"(at the top menu).

Scroll down to "Save As".

Change the name of the image to want you want it to be.

Choose a location to save the image at.

Choose the format you want the image saved as(in this case, we want .eps).

Click "Save".

When closing Inkscape, it will ask you if you would like to save the image as a .svg as well... I always click on "Close without saving".[/quote']

These were the best / easiest instructions I have read yet.

Thanks Rala... I wrote that a while back. I just reread it, and I forgot one step. You want to delete the original image prior to saving the new vecotrized image as a eps file.

Updated in my quote.

Firemalt. I did this and I saved the one that I felt was the eps file one and went into sb to cut it and all it cut was a bunch of lines and not the actual picture that I wanted. What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

Christi

You just need to clean it up alittle. If you view it in wireframe you will see where the problem is.

Thanks tservice. Which wireframe are you talking about the outline one? How do you clean it up? I see that a lot of the outline is missing but not sure how to fix it? It must be the right one that I deleted because when I do it over and save it and try to open it in sb it is just a black box and nothing is there when I open it.

Thanks,

Christi

it is actually one that I saved off of here and was just trying to see if I could get this eps importing thing down and I guess i can't. I will see if I can uploaded the eps file that I tried to cut.

Thanks,

Christi

drawing-2.eps

drawing-2.eps

Sorry but I can't even begin to guess what that image is. Can you post the original file?

I know what you mean. I seen other items that have been vecorized and it looked more like the imagae and not just lines like mine. I am new to this and reading and reading the forums so I don't bother anyone again but it I obviously haven't found out how to do it correctly yet. Thanks so much tservice for taking the time to help me out.

Everyone here tries to help. I am not very good either but I will give it a shot. just give me a few minutes.

Thanks so much for helping me. I did it step by step how firemalt had it posted for inkscape and the first image is the one that came out and I tried to cut it and it was just a bunch of lines. I thought maybe I deleted the wrong one but when I save the other one and try to cut it says the btmp thing so I don't know. If you do something different can you please let me know what you did so I can learn how to do this. I have to go and pick up my son but I will be back soon. Thanks again for all the help.

Christi

Here it is. I used inkscape with a brightness cutoff of 0.740. Keep playing with inkscape it is pretty good, i still don't understand all the settings within the trace bitmap, I just keep playing with different settings. Let me know if this does not work Oh btw you will need to use the postscript scanner to import into signblazer. Also had to zip it to big of a file.

butterfly.zip

butterfly.zip

wahooo I found it and it looks good although it is upside down. So all you did different then me was change the brightness? Sorry to be such a pain

Yes just the brightness. If you play around with the settings to the right of it and click update you will see in the window what it looks like. I am sure someone else that knows more than I do may know how to fine tune it. I hope it is good enough for you to use. Here is a screen shot of the settings that I used.

post-1385-12986524540595_thumb.jpg

post-1385-12986524553846_thumb.jpg