Sign in to follow this  
VIP

Knife not going down?

Just got the LP24 today. Got it to communicate fine. It seems to be doing what it is supposed to except the blade is not down far enough. WHen I put it in offline mode and try to hit the "down" arrow I hear a small noise and nothing happens. The blade assembly will not go down. Could I have gotten a defective machine?

When the unit is offline, the down arrow should advance the material, not move the blade down. Make sure you have the blade holder in the back position and that the blade is barely sticking out. The lip of the blade holder should rest on top of the carriage arm. Make sure the carriage is sitting on the tracks.

I browsed through this forum to try to find an answer before I posted, but yes it appears the unit is on the track. It moves perfectly like it is cutting, but the knife/knife holder is not down enough. It's not even touching the vinyl. As far as the down arrow, I am not talking about the one to move the vinyl, I am talking about the one that supposedly moves the knife up and down.

I Quote from another thread "No manual for the LaserPoitn at this time, but with regards to the cutter, you really only need to know how to turn it on, set the origin and cut speed and downforce. This is all done with the control panel. The software you will probably need a manual for, and it can be found in the SignBlazer category."

This has not been my experience thus far. When I opened the package, the carrier was held in place by two wire-ties so it would not move while in transit. Is there something else I have not removed so the blade would touch the vinyl?

I never use the up or down arrows to move the carriage arm up and down, the carriage arm will drop the blade to the material when it is supposed to when cutting.

Make sure the blade holder is fully pressed down in the cradle. You will not really see it move that much since it only drops about a 1/4 of an inch. Make sure the machine is off line to drop the knife cradle.

post-2822-12986522445073_thumb.jpg

post-2822-12986522462118_thumb.jpg

I never use the up or down arrows to move the carriage arm up and down, the carriage arm will drop the blade to the material when it is supposed to when cutting.

OK, Forget everything else I said about wanting to drop the carriage arm.  The knife is not going down to cut the vinyl, period. Yes its in the carriage right. The lip is resting on top of the carrier. Yes, the knife is barely sticking out. The damn thing will just not "move down" to cut the vinyl. Everything else seems fine. Is it a setting in SignBlazer? Is it the pressure?

Obviously it could be something I am doing wrong, but the way people talk on here leads me to believe that everything is simple to set-up and get running. I AM mechanically inclined. I know how things work generally, but this is not.

if the blade holder is not going down when it is supposed to,there is something wrong with the cutter.It should appear,when cutting,that the bottom of the holder is touching the vinyl.It's not a settings issue.

if the blade holder is not going down when it is supposed to,there is something wrong with the cutter.It should appear,when cutting,that the bottom of the holder is touching the vinyl.It's not a settings issue.

Thank you...this is more like what I wanted to hear. Not trying to be a PITA, just wanting to use this thing!

Also, I can physically "push" the carriage down to the vinyl, but it won't do it on its own.

So, I guess the question now is how do I get this corrected? Kenimes, I assume this is your company, do I send it back? or will you send out a new part?  Should I check something to make sure everything is in working order?

I can take some shots of it if you need to see something in particular.

Ken is the man to talk to...try sending him a PM...it could be something as easy as a lose connection,or a bad carriage. Things do shake lose in shipping. You wouldn't believe the condition of some of the stuff I get from UPS daily. If the handling is rough enough to tear the ends off boxes...imagine what it can do to what's inside.

Thank you...this is more like what I wanted to hear. Not trying to be a PITA, just wanting to use this thing!

Also, I can physically "push" the carriage down to the vinyl, but it won't do it on its own.

So, I guess the question now is how do I get this corrected? Kenimes, I assume this is your company, do I send it back? or will you send out a new part?  Should I check something to make sure everything is in working order?

I can take some shots of it if you need to see something in particular.

I would investigate the carriage by removing the outer red casing, should just pop off. Will nto affect the warranty at all, and hopefully it is just a loose wire, but worst case scenario would be replacing the carriage.

OK Ken, thank you. I will do that when I get back home and get back with you.

OK, took red cover off. Everything seems to be ok, but I don't know exactly what I am looking for either. However, there is a piece on top of the transistor motor? that has a metal bar sticking out of it. IT does not appear to be attached to anything. Can someone tell me if it is supposed to or post a picture?  Thanks!

I thik I see the metal bar and it is supposed to go into the mechanism that lifts and lowers the blade. Am I right?

BINGO!!!

Yes the bar came out of the arm somehow I assume during shipping.

Thanks all for your help!

I am happy that it was something simple. Post back when you've made a successful cut.

oh..I already did make one! 

I am so glad it worked out. My parents are going to buy one too, as long as mine was worth it. So I will get cutting some more.Great to see that it was something small too.

:thumbsup:

You all are awesome. Glad it was something simple. Sorry I did not respond sooner, but we are trying to organize the tech. and spare parts area.......blah. Mortal and John are super efficient.

;D

I just set up my LaserPoint 24" today and had exactly the same problem; the metal pin that connects the solenoid to the blade holder mechanism had vibrated out during shipping.

The pictures were an enormous help.  Thank you.